PDA

View Full Version : Hot transmission

adjake
07-22-2015, 03:10 PM
So I've decided I'm going to add a tranny cooler not sure which one yet. I've done all the usual stuff flushed it 4 times now, b4 kit, reset fluid counter reset adaptions ( still not sure I've done a complete adaption). Still need to check with dealer for any update.

Question is what would cause the tranny to run at 102c. It is hot here 90 plus every day. Did a coolant flush yesterday just for peace of mind, engine/coolant temp is fine. Did my 4th gibbons flush today with 3309 reset counter did not reset adaption but put it in adaption mode for a drive today. Did this again because I had a bit of sea foam trans tune in it and ATF was pretty bad "looking".

Bought this 2003 xc70 with 165000 on it and it looks like it was fairly well taken care of but tranny was obviously neglected (extremely black first flush) there is some evidence that it had been used as a tow vehicle.

I need this thing to get me through at least another year but I'm kinda done dumping money into it. Runs good I've done most of the typical maintenance stuff, I'm willing to do more if I can get this tranny sorted out.
What sort of temperature drop should I expect to see with a decent size cooler?

vtl
07-22-2015, 05:13 PM
You need refurbished valve body. At least, new/refurbished linear solenoids.

Astro14
07-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Your coolant runs at 95C. That's thermostat temp...so, why would the transmission fluid, which goes through the coolant, be significantly cooler?

adjake
07-23-2015, 06:44 AM
It's running significantly hotter. 102 C not F (215.6 F)

adjake
07-23-2015, 06:46 AM
You need refurbished valve body. At least, new/refurbished linear solenoids.

Does a bad valve body or solenoids cause it to run hot?
I forgot to mention that when it is cool it shifts better than anything I've ever driven.

vtl
07-23-2015, 07:41 AM
ATF temperature can go as high as 150C (TCM will bump up fluid change counter). In hot days 102C would not surprise me.

Bad shifting is classical valve body/solenoids issue. Replacing solenoids usually fix about 90% of shifting problems, but the valve body has its own issues as well, so it is wise to fix the VB as well while you are here.

kutcht1
07-23-2015, 10:21 AM
I have a cooler on mine using a larger tube and fin type (Hayden 405) and after a over two hour drive I can put my hand on it with out it feeling like it is going to burn me. With a cooler being inexpensive it sure is worth it to put one on. Plate coolers are smaller but are more efficient. With the XC70 having so much room between the cooler and bumper it was no problem for me to install it. Let us know how this all turns out.
TomK

Leto Atreides II
07-23-2015, 10:30 AM

I'm still not sure why you think your transmission at 102 C is so much hotter than your coolant at 95 C? Are you under the impression that your coolant is only 95 F? Your transmission is not running hot.

vtl
07-23-2015, 10:33 AM
I too have coolers on both my cars, it does not help much on hot days in heavy traffic. One car (V70) got refurbished valve body a year ago, all problems gone now. I'm thinking about getting VB fixed in XC70 too.

adjake
07-23-2015, 11:44 AM
I have a cooler on mine using a larger tube and fin type (Hayden 405) and after a over two hour drive I can put my hand on it with out it feeling like it is going to burn me. With a cooler being inexpensive it sure is worth it to put one on. Plate coolers are smaller but are more efficient. With the XC70 having so much room between the cooler and bumper it was no problem for me to install it. Let us know how this all turns out.
TomK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3DDKO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

ordered today will post update on Sunday

adjake
07-23-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm still not sure why you think your transmission at 102 C is so much hotter than your coolant at 95 C? Are you under the impression that your coolant is only 95 F? Your transmission is not running hot.

http://www.haydenauto.com/Featured%20Products-Transmission%20and%20Engine%20Oil%20Coolers/Content.aspx

My thermostat opens @90c even at its hottest yesterday it was 94c
Even if it's just for peace of mind, but I know my car shifts much better before it gets up to 90. Summers here in Hotlanta are not getting any cooler.

Astro14
07-23-2015, 12:04 PM

That's 7 degrees...if my math is right...and it is...

So, transmission fluid comes out hotter, there is a limit to the amount of heat that it can reject into the radiator...and that's where the 7 degrees warmer comes in...

The transmission on my truck runs at up to 225F (that's 107 Celsius)...but it has an 85C thermostat...so your car's transmission doesn't seem to be running hot.

If you want it to run cooler, then install an aftermarket cooler.7334733573367337

This is the set-up I've got on the T5. Cooler, plus thermostat and spin-on filter mount. Easier to do with the bumper off. I've got the same cooler on the XC. It's a Hayden plate-type. They're more impact resistant and perform better at heat transfer. They also cost a bit more...