PDA

View Full Version : Modding the car, exhaust and tune questions

kartboy1234
06-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Hi everyone, I have decided that I'm going to modify my car a bit. I found an exhaust, its an OBX catback unit. I'm assuming the v70 awd model will fit the v70xc. Anyone have any experience with this unit? I found old posts on it but I want to get some updated thoughts.
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-CATBACK-SYSTEM-0104-V70-VOLVO-AWD-4WD-CAT-BACK-/151716423724)

Also I am looking for a tune. I was ready to pull the trigger for an ARD tune but I stumbled upon a fair number of older bad reviews. Can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced, tuning company? Maybe ARD has gotten better over time? Any help would be great. I'm looking to spend under $500 for the tune.
Thanks

kartboy1234
06-25-2015, 02:02 PM
My car is a 2002 v70xc with 99,000 miles if that makes any difference.

Antherzoll
06-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Stage 0
Stage 0
Stage 0
Did I mention Stage 0?
:p

Tunes:
I've recently dealt with ARD and had poor service and a poor tune. My setup did require a bit more customization than ARD was willing to accommodate, you may have better luck with a stock engine.

I can only recomend Hilton Tuning from direct experience, you'll need a working DiCE unit to flash his tune. Great service, awesome tune, and reasonably priced.

http://hiltontuning.com/product-category/allproducts/stagetunes/volvo/p2/

I'd also recomend JZW based of indirect experience, but you'll need to remove the ECU and mail it to JZW for flashing and any revisions which can be a pain.

Exhaust:
No idea about OBX, but if you click the link in my signature you can find a video clip with my exhaust setup.

Avoid HD TCVs

For a quick little pick-up you can tighten the wastegate a half to full turn.

I strongly suggest you install an auxiliary transmission cooler and inline filter.

IVIUSTANG
06-25-2015, 03:07 PM
My research on tunes says stay away from ARD on P2 tunes, I recently got a Hilton tune on recommendation from another user on this forum and it is very good so far. If you already have a Dice unit the tune is very affordable; the Hilton tune flashes through the Dice unit so you don't have to send your ECU away or buy any useless additional hardware to flash; it's a very novel concept that seems to work.

Jesse

kartboy1234
06-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Thank you for the replies. I will research the Hilton tune. I know that this has been covered, but where is the best place to get a Dice? I have looked around but don't trust anyone. I need to clear an srs light so it would be helpful to get it. Is the tune noticeable? I would hate to update the car and find out that it didn't make too much of a difference.

Antherzoll
06-25-2015, 05:33 PM
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/469649321.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedeta il

This is the one I bought, but I'm unable to use VIDA 2014 on my laptop so I downloaded VIDA 2010 via torrent and works great. I use a beater laptop (Toshiba Satellite M130) thats dedicated to VIDA and other car stuff.

VIDA 2010 has fewer requirement, so it should be easier to get running on an older system, but you need don't VIDA for the tune, only a working DiCE unit.

kartboy1234
06-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Just ordered the Dice, once I get that running then I can get a tune. I may just buy the exhaust now as well.

IVIUSTANG
06-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Yes tune is noticeable, my 2006 XC70 stage 1 now faster than my buddies V70 at low speeds and about equal at higher speeds.

Jesse

kartboy1234
06-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Well I cant wait until my Dice gets here, then I can get the tune. The car really needs a bit more torque. Does the tune effect how the transmission behaves? Mine is a little hesitant to downshift at times.

JRL
06-28-2015, 01:41 PM
With these engines and the smaller turbo you get a ton more low end torque and from about 20 to 65 MPH is where you will really notice it
Higher speeds and high speed passing, not very much of a difference.

kartboy1234
06-28-2015, 01:56 PM
20-65 mph torque would be great. More passing power around town would be nice. I know that once I start modding, I wont want to stop.

Antherzoll
06-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Only the ECU is flashed, not the TCM, I'm not aware of any tuner that edits the TCM software. In the ECU tune, depending on the tuner, the throttle map is changed to a more aggressive map that will make the car feel more responsive.

Performance-wise, a catback exhaust won't gain you very much, the downpipe and stock cat that is more restrictive to exhaust flow. A catback will improve the sound of the vehicle, but it may also increase drone.

kartboy1234
06-28-2015, 02:44 PM
I understand that the Catback is only for sound. I wouldn't want the car to drone too much. I'm a little conflicted now if I want to do it. Maybe i'll wait on the exhaust until after I get the tune. How long did it take to get the tuning files after paying? Do you have to specify what you want?

Antherzoll
06-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Check the link in my first post for the tuning options for your vehicle and direct any question to Rob personally.

From what I understand he is a one man show, and operates this business on the side, so depending on his current projects it is possible that you may be delayed in receiving the software, but he is very good at responding to emails.