PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Low beam failure frustration

murph
06-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Long time lurker first time poster here. I've been browsing the forum since I got my 2005 xc70 a year ago. Hope you guys know how helpful you are to the Volvo community! So about a week ago I was driving and noticed that I had a low beam failure warning. Changed the h11 bulb (drivers side), checked the fuse, and still no low beam on the drivers side (high beams do work). Next I double checked all the electrode connections and cleaned with QD and a qtip. There were not any signs of overheating or anything like that.Then I moved the h11 connections around a little to see if there was a short/ loose connection and couldn't get it to flicker or come on. My local ind Volvo mechanic said he would have to charge me 70 (his hourly rate) to just look at it after describing my problem to him. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Or if buying a new headlight assembly would solve anything?

The Landshark
06-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Most probably a failed relay, although i have seen failed fuses where they look ok. Best to get a voltmeter, a wiring diagram and a free evening and get stuck in to it. I assume you have halogens not HID's in which case I'd look at the ballast unit first.
Edit: I have a feeling the relays are in the cem, but i do not have a wiring diagram to check, maybe someone else could shed a little light here.

Scopeman
06-26-2015, 06:40 AM
From what I see on the wiring diagram, the lights are all controlled by, and the relays are in, the CEM. There are intervening connectors however. The wiring diagram is downloadable at matthewsvolvosite.com.