PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XC - Bevel Gear Installation - Alignment with Prop Shaft

diggity
06-01-2015, 06:01 PM
I'm in the process of putting the everything back together on a bevel gear replacement (and passenger front outer CV boot replacement).

I'll be doing a write up when I'm done on what I've done / learned to date, but have had issues trying to post. As is evidenced by my "2001 V70XC AWD Work & A Fresh Take on Collar Sleeve Removal" attempt this weekend that I somehow managed to make go blank trying to update. I was trying to add my 2 cents detailing what I thought was a pretty clever way to remove my collar sleeve. Maybe you caught the first half before I somehow lost it all? The sad part is I consider myself to be a relatively tech-savy guy in his early 30s.. anyways.. I digress..

My question is.. I've got the bevel gear back in place and the prop shaft bolts aren't quite lining up with the bevel gear output. There isn't a whole lot of play in either. Are there any pointers for getting the holes in the bevel gear to line up with the holes in the prop shaft?

Does starting the car and running it (FWD only since prop isn't connected) rotate the bevel gear output? As I'm typing maybe putting it in neutral will allow me to rotate the bevel gear output?

If it's not evident, I'm no car guru, and thanks to everyone for the help previous posts have provided me up to this point! Random question as I'm trying to learn the jargon: Is there a difference between angle gear / bevel gear / transfer case?

Thanks all! Looking forward to learning and contributing as I fight the odds with my '01 XC!

diggity
06-01-2015, 06:14 PM
I answered my own question! Putting it in neutral worked, thanks for being my sounding board

kutcht1
06-02-2015, 05:29 AM
Good to know, thanks for the follow-up.
TomK

diggity
06-02-2015, 09:43 AM
As I'm putting this back together I have just been snugging everything up, is there a good place to reference for torque specifications as I'm putting this back together?

Iroll_
06-02-2015, 02:26 PM
As I'm putting this back together I have just been snugging everything up, is there a good place to reference for torque specifications as I'm putting this back together?

Think these links might be helpful.

http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/propeller-shaft.pdf

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/

diggity
06-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Iroll_

Thanks for the heads up (and patience) on pointing me to the resources section. I honestly didn't even notice it was there. I'll do some digging in that section

Iroll_
06-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Iroll_

Thanks for the heads up (and patience) on pointing me to the resources section. I honestly didn't even notice it was there. I'll do some digging in that section

Not an issue at all.
I can relate to being 'mid project'; along with the getting into an area one hadn't originally planned for.
Look forward to hearing how it turns out!

diggity
06-05-2015, 09:57 PM
well.. got everything except the muffler put back together tried firing it up and putting it into gear and it wouldn't move .. was just looking to see if it would grind. Lost some tranny fluid when i pulled the collar sleeve, do I need to top this back off...?

bugeye
06-06-2015, 02:32 AM
2001 XC. The transmission has a dip stick on the front of the trans. Yellow with a spring clip to push to the side to remove dip stick. The dip stick has level marks for cold and hot. Advise checking. Use Mobil 3309 transmission fluid. Don't overfill. Check color, smell of existing fluid. May be time for changing by Gibbons method (disconnect hose and run engine/trans to pump out, method in resources) or a few drain/fills.

diggity
06-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Did a 12 quart transmission fluid flush utilizing the gibbons method this weekend. I used Toyota Type IV fluid (I read it's the same as 3309 and more readily available). It's back up and running the major grinding that was coming from the bevel gear is gone, now it's down to a somewhat constant hum, and an intermittent rattle.

I think if I keep working down the list of items from the $5,600 quote I got from the mechanic I may take care of these issues...

Next on the list is right front bearing (hopefully get rid of the hum), and front lower control arm bushings and ball joints (hopefully get rid of the intermittent rattle, but they need it regardless). The shop was suggesting a complete replacement of the lower control arms, is swapping out the bushings and ball joints sufficient? The control arm is dirty, but does not appear overly worn .. The bushings definitely need replacing .. any advice on what to look for on the control arms as I'm deciding whether to do just the Bushings / Joints or replace the whole arm?

EDIT: I took the car out for a spin after work and tried swerving around when up to 40-45 mph. Steering right the noise is all but gone, steering left stays the same or gets worse.