PDA

View Full Version : 2002 XC Buzz/Whine under air filter box when key in any position

zotparkerm
05-08-2015, 10:51 AM
I tried a search and probably picked all the wrong words, but I am trying to identify this noise which exists anytime the key is in the ignition and in position I, II or III. It does not make the noise if the key is off.
The noise appears to be coming from either under the air filter box or maybe below the lights.
It also exists if the engine is running, just less noticeable.

While we're at it, how do you get the air filter box out?
1) Is there a trick to disconnecting the pipe downstream of the MAF sensor?
2) Other than 3 pairs of hands, two monkeys, and a six pack, is there a trick to releasing those clips that hold the box in?

I was attempting to use a variety of sockets on extensions, but after much sweat, some blood, no tears but a few inappropriate expressions of my frustration I decided to give it a rest.

Thanks for any input.

Antherzoll
05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Vacuum assist pump for the brake booster. I'd check the brake booster check valve and and vacuum pump switch. Could also be a leaking brake booster.

3 clips hold the air box in place, if you pull on them hard enough the box will lift out.

zotparkerm
05-09-2015, 09:04 PM
I pulled the air filter box (without breaking anything or further injuring myself) and determined the buzz was coming from in front of the box (behind the headlights).
So I unplugged several things with the key off, then added them back one at a time until the buzz returned.
The day after I picked up the car from my cousin I noticed that wire dangling and plugged it in. Now I know why it was unplugged [happy].
Is this the wiper motor? I would try the wiper, but I haven't figured out how yet :confused:

shin91
05-12-2015, 05:25 PM
I pulled the air filter box (without breaking anything or further injuring myself) and determined the buzz was coming from in front of the box (behind the headlights).
So I unplugged several things with the key off, then added them back one at a time until the buzz returned.
The day after I picked up the car from my cousin I noticed that wire dangling and plugged it in. Now I know why it was unplugged [happy].
Is this the wiper motor? I would try the wiper, but I haven't figured out how yet :confused:

What did it end up being? I have the same problem as well, when I turn the key into position 2 or ignition, there is an intermittent whirr.. whirr.. whirr..
After unplugging it, did you notice that anything wasn't working?
I wonder why its so noisy!

zotparkerm
05-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Mine was a constant whine when the key was in any position other than off. Large mosquito type noise.
I unplugged the wire and the whine is gone, but I have not figured out what functionality is missing yet.
I am on to bigger issues at the moment (steering creak) and will update this when I get back to it.