PDA

View Full Version : Strange clattering noise 05 xc90 t6

Pjc360
03-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Bought an 05 xc90 t6 a couple months ago, it had 145 thousand miles on it and it now has 150 thousand miles. I took it on a 200 mile round trip yesterday and when I was 5 miles away from the town I was driving too I start hearing this strange clattering noise, I didn't know what it was so I threw the transmission into nuetral and the noise went away, then I put it back in drive and I didn't hear it again for the next 5 miles or so.
I got to the town I was going too and checked the transmission fluid and it was full, checked engine oil it was full, looked under the car and didn't see anything unusual. No leaks of any kind.
On the way back home I didn't hear noise the first 50 miles or so then I started hearing it and it came and went, the best way to describe the noise is imagine putting a baseball card in between the spokes on a bicycle wheel and then spinning the wheel. The noise goes away when I let off the throttle then I can ease into the throttle again and be ok for a couple miles then it will come back.
When I got home I put the transmission in drive and held my foot on the brake and gave it some throttle to see if I could get it to make the noise sitting still and it wouldn't make the noise. I checked the fan shroud and the fan thinking maybe the fan was hitting the shroud and it isn't, I checked the belts they seem tight, however I can move one of the tensioners around, but I'm not sure if that could cause the noise I'm hearing or not. I'm terrified that it is transmission related because these transmissions aren't that great, I serviced the transmission right when I got it with a new filter and synthetic transmission fluid. And the person I bought the car from had the transmission re-built by volvo under warranty at around 80 thousand miles.
I've already spent well over 2 grand in parts and labor for this car, it has new inner and outer tie rods, new upper and lower ball joints, new struts and new tires. And new spark plugs and coil packs and of course new synthetic engine oil and tranny fluid. Please help me figure out what this noise is.