PDA

View Full Version : Possible DEM, or BCM or CEM

Canadiancopper
03-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Joking aside, I've come into one of those intermittent problems that force you to drink. I will try to keep it short. I have a 2004 XC70 with 223,000km. I'm the 3rd owner taking it at 199,000km. I put in well over $3,000 dollars of maintenance into the vehicle in just over 3 years of ownership. Just to clarify, the car has never left me stranded it has been very reliable. At every oil change, I will do something extra. I have done struts, PCV, transmission service, front suspension parts, brakes and a host of little things here and there (engine mount or 2). Just recently while pulling into a parking spot, after 40 min of highway driving (smooth as silk) I noticed a thump. I noticed a spongy brake pedal and once I looked down at the dashboard I saw "Brake Failure - Stop Safely. I pulled into a spot and turned the engine off. I waited 2min, started again and no warning lights. After a minute of so, I heard a rapid clicking under the dashboard (kind of like when you push the brake and heard a click to take out of Park). This rapid clicking when on for 10-15sec then the dreaded message of Brake Failure - Stop Safely.

I continued to run my errands at the mall, after 3-4 hours, I called CAA. Having a flatbed come to pick me up, I drove the XC70 out of the parking lot to the tow truck with no ill effects, no message on the dashboard. Now at my trusted Indy shop, in the morning he stated that he took it for a spin, no message, nothing drove fine. Hooking the car up his computer, there were approx. 35 codes registered everything from driver having bad breath to passenger needs to go on a diet. Again, joking aside, codes in almost every computer module.

The route I took was to replace the battery (not knowing how old it was). I took it out for a spirited jaunt, no issues. My technician proceeded to clear all the codes and start over. I drove it around (normally) for an hour then the engine light came on. Then as I was driving back to my technician, the "Brake Failure - Stop Safely" came on. I noticed that the brakes were still fine, however if felt like the engine from a stop position started in 2nd gear. Limp mode of sorts, no temp gauge, no rpm gauge, no cruise control, no clock. I was 10 min away from the shop as I drove in this condition. I noticed that as I was parking the car, it felt very hard putting the car in reverse and into park as if the line pressure was at maximum. Immediately hooking up the computer to it, there were codes in the DEM as well as the BCM. Having 2 tired kids in tow, I left the car behind.

Fast forward 6 days of the owner of the shop driving my car home and filling up the tank twice, no issues!!!!! I have read many threads on various web-sites that state that the DEM is at fault. Others have the BCM as the culprit. The pump and the filter on the Haldex system looks original. I was told it would be advisable to do the pump, filter and new DEM. All this is sold as a package at XemodeX for around $850.00. I do have a unusual hum coming from the middle/rear car when cold then disappearing after 10-15min of driving. I'm thinking the pump maybe on its way out and thus the intermittent problem.

I'm sorry, as this has turned into a little bit of a novel, just trying to describe all the facts and issues. All in all, I love this car as many do on this forum.

Regards,

JRL
03-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Forget about the DEM if your AWD is OK

Canadiancopper
03-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Forget about the DEM if your AWD is OK

That my friend is great advice. My awd is still working. Then it maybe the BCM. Isn't that the module that controls the brakes and all brake related items? ?

Antherzoll
03-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Limp mode of sorts, no temp gauge, no rpm gauge, no cruise control, no clock.

Sounds like the DIM or CEM is causing issues. Did your technician give you any specific codes?

Lucky for you, being in Toronto (high five :)), Xemodex is located in brampton around Courtney Park and Kennedy, they can rebuild or solve the issues for both the DIM and CEM if they are deemed at fault. The CEM is known to overheat and cause random issues.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?22262-Xemodex-CEM-rebuild

bugeye
03-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Our '04 XC70 exhibited similar multiple codes. Sent CEM to XeMODeX and all is well after 1 + year and 10,000+ miles. CEM is somewhat easy to remove. Above drivers left foot behind dash. Twisting head, shoulders and arms into position is the hardest part. Disconnect battery first.