PDA

View Full Version : Surging with an IPD TCV

Forkster
03-26-2015, 09:52 AM
I replaced my TCV back in April 2011 with the Heavy Duty one from IPD. I also replaced all my TCV tubing at that time as well.

When I accelerate lightly - (with my wastegate mod + Stage 1 from MTE) she's very smooth (and fast).

When I accelerate hard - I can feel it stuttering and hesitating.

Are the IPD HD TCV garbage? Or should I be sourcing a different model with my MTE stage 1 - maybe I need a heavier turbo blow-off spring? Or should I go back to OEM? It's not throwing any codes - because I was thinking engine coil...but idle is fine and so is regular acceleration. And there are no codes. I could also plug in my VIDA+DICE and go for a drive with live monitoring I suppose.

Thoughts?

monochamus
03-26-2015, 10:03 AM
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?27018-Throwing-0234-TCV-and-tubing-is-new-a-year-ago-from-IPD-What-to-look-at-next

Maybe this could throw any ideas for you

Antherzoll
03-26-2015, 02:54 PM
I suggest using the OEM BCS(TCV) especially since you're tuned, the HD TCVs are just marketing hype.

ifnt420
03-26-2015, 10:47 PM
I would also go with a new factory TCV to see if the stuttering is still there, if not check the coils and plugs.
A failing and weak coil can be smooth at idle and light acceleration, but not operating at its capacity during WOT.

monochamus
03-28-2015, 08:18 AM
I would also go with a new factory TCV to see if the stuttering is still there, if not check the coils and plugs.
A failing and weak coil can be smooth at idle and light acceleration, but not operating at its capacity during WOT.

How can I confirm if a ignition coil is malfunctioning at WOT?
Only scanning or there is other method?

Antherzoll
03-28-2015, 09:41 AM
How can I confirm if a ignition coil is malfunctioning at WOT?
Only scanning or there is other method?

Generally they will cause misfires at high load but can generate spark as idle, light to moderate load, or cruise. Issues associated with bad coils have similar symptoms as bad spark plug.