PDA

View Full Version : starting trouble

davidcanny
03-25-2015, 01:44 PM
So I am having another issue with my 2000 V70xc (144000 miles). Recently I've been having trouble starting it. Sometimes it starts right up, no problem. Other times it turns over a few times and when I give it a little gas it'll start up. Then on one occasion I tried about four or five times, turning the key and giving a little gas, before it decided to start. And once, a few seconds after it started it shut off. I've scheduled an appointment with the dealership, but I thought I'd ask for a few different opinions/ideas as to what's causing it... In case it doesn't make it to the appointment. Thanks!

JRL
03-25-2015, 02:39 PM
You probably need to install an aftermarket fuel pump check valve.
Dealer will try to sell you a fuel pump ($$$$$), not necessary.
If you have a long, hard crank and it's becoming worse, 99% of the time this will solve your problem.
Takes about an hour to install, but a new fuel filter, butt it up to the backside of the filter before install.

This is a VERY common problem on 1999 and 2000 AWD Volvo fuel pumps!

If you decide to do this, email me and I'll give you a couple of tips on the install if you plan on doing it yourself. Even if not, we have done many and there are a couple of tricks to make this easy you can tell your mechanic.

Use this: (good price here BTW)
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/516-Universal-Fuel-Check-Valve-P129258.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwucmoBRDmysGsgbDr5j0SJAA xL9ab0uv1JX8VuGCi4PIVTbsES2uHdnt5GfLHv-LNDhOsIhoC9Wnw_wcB

davidcanny
03-25-2015, 03:02 PM
Hey, I appreciate this. After I posted the thread I did a little more research and found posts you have made before saying pretty much just this, and the symptoms do seem to match up.

I'm gonna give it a shot, do you have any advice on how to make sure it starts before this comes in the mail and I can install it? This is my daily driver and I'd very much like to not get stranded anywhere if i can help it...
Thanks again!

JRL
03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
EMAIL me tomorrow
(In signature)