PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

joancasti
03-20-2015, 03:56 AM
Am looking for rotors and pads for front brakes on my wife's 08 XC70 (us). IPD and others have OE parts but have had a a growing shudder since 30,000 miles (now 60k) on factory rotors and would like to upgrade to a more durable rotor. EBC are recommended but are a little shy of the 305mm OE rotor? Any thoughts appreciated.

brentcd
03-20-2015, 07:18 AM
It's hard to know your "shudder" but I have had a similar issue a couple of times with cars with glazed rotors. A polish forms on the surface. You can turn the rotors (a little extreme, unless they have become slightly warped) or I have just used a high speed abrasive disc and lightly 'scuffed' the surface and that had cured the "shudder"

toma nova
04-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Hope this is not too late.

Order Zimmermann rotors and Akebono ceramic pads from Amazon. No noise, great bite, and no dust. I've replaced all four corners on ours, super easy to improve the braking. Also, flush the brake fluid with ATE DOT 4. Couple of hours for completely new brakes.

Tom

Liliflower
07-13-2015, 11:03 PM
soon into the job I realised that the Electronic Park Brake (EPB) was going to be an issue. After research on the forums I soon realised that you needed a computer to retract the EBP motors to push back the pistons to get the new pads in. What computer should I go for, VIDA or a special EPB (http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/new-electronic-park-brake-epb-tool-ep31.html) tool?

toma nova
07-18-2015, 12:45 PM
soon into the job I realised that the Electronic Park Brake (EPB) was going to be an issue. After research on the forums I soon realised that you needed a computer to retract the EBP motors to push back the pistons to get the new pads in. What computer should I go for, VIDA or a special EPB (http://www.obd365.com/wholesale/new-electronic-park-brake-epb-tool-ep31.html) tool?

If you have an alarm system at your house, disconnect the 12v back up battery and use two lengths of small gauge wire to retract the EPB - you may have to try both directions with the wires to figure out retract vs. extend on the EPB motor.

No issue once you have the brakes back together, the car will extend the EPB as far as needed to engage it when you activate from the drivers seat.

I guess you could actually use the car's battery. but it's pretty heavy and bulky - a smaller 12V battery works better (from a motorcycle, riding lawn mower, etc.).

HTH,
Tom