PDA

View Full Version : Xc70-rear wheels turn?

kayaking
09-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Rear wheels turn....The attached quote comes from the technical specifications off the volvo website.....anyone feel this? Is it at all detectible? Visible? Computer controlled? Anyone know more about this feature? "The sophisticated multi-link rear suspension is mounted on a sturdy frame, which helps isolate the body from road noise and vibration. The movements, angle and track of the wheels are controlled by several links. The result is a very comfortable ride and well-balanced behavior, even when you are driving with a vehicle full of cargo. The rear suspension also contributes to the compliant steering characteristics of the vehicle. In corners, the rear wheels steer slightly in the same direction as the front wheels. A thick anti-roll bar contributes to the high drive stability when cornering on the road.".....I wonder if this could be "picked up" / "detectible" on one of MAS71's Video's!!..Time for a new test MAS71?

Hiro's XC
09-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Actually it's due to the built in motion of the suspension pieces. When you turn the car loads the outside wheel and lightens the inside. It is more due to the lean of the car causing this. Without the lean of several inches the car would not have this effect. Now if you change the roll bars to "level" out the ride you would lose some of this effect. This is a common feature of multi-link suspensions.

1stVR6
10-01-2003, 11:20 PM
The BMW 850ic is the only car that I know of which used a computer controlled version of this idea. The easiest way to see this is jack up a rear wheel and watch the wheel toe-in as you lower it back down.

Hiro's XC
10-02-2003, 06:22 AM
The 850 system was not computer controled. It is truely mechanical due to the suspension geometry like I mentioned above. The only thing computer controled is the electronic damping of the struts.

Other than the Honda Prelude of late 80's vintage there aren't really any cars that were mainstream that came with a rear 4 wheel steer.

I see by your sig that you are a VW guy. GTI? Bora?

Jason

kayaking
10-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the informative replies...I had a feeling that it appeared to be more of a mechanical effect versus a computerized controlled system.

Gundo
10-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Volvo does not have active 4 wheel steering.  it is a passive feature.  Chevy certainly does.  Check this out:

http://www.mrtruck.net/suv.ht4.jpg

http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/2002/gmc/denali/quadra.jpg