PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass in Exhaust

ChristianBruce
03-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Has anyone else had fiberglass come out in their exhaust pipe? I have been looking online, but I can't seem to find where it is coming from. It looked like silver hair hanging out from my 2006 XC70. Is it coming from the resonator? And do I need to have it replaced?

Antherzoll
03-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Yes
Yes
Maybe. If the fiberglass batt in the resonator has come completely loose it can block up the exhaust path and cause issues, but if you don't have any issues or sounds I wouldn't worry about it.

billr99
03-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Has anyone else had fiberglass come out in their exhaust pipe? I have been looking online, but I can't seem to find where it is coming from. It looked like silver hair hanging out from my 2006 XC70. Is it coming from the resonator? And do I need to have it replaced?

I had my rear silencer fail a couple of years ago under acceleration and when I stopped and took a look, I had a big wad of fiberglas packing coming out of the tailpipe. I pulled it out and had a real interesting sound until I was able to replace the muffler a wee bit later.

In your case, the packing could be coming out of either or both cans, but I'd bet on the rear one as the most possible and that is just based on the idea that if you were losing it out of the resonator it would get hung up coming thru the baffles of the rear muffler. The thing is, if you have the original system you'll have to cut the offending can out to sort it once you figure out which one is bad. IMHO and based on my experience of trying to be economical in regard to piece-parting the exhaust, your time will be better spent just getting a new 2-piece replacement cat-back and be done with it. I screwed around after my resonator blew out and I cut it out and it ended up being more hassle than it was worth. Replaced the whole thing as I have suggested and have slept well ever since.

Cheers,

Bill