PDA

View Full Version : ipd torque mounts

von dutchoven
02-14-2015, 12:08 PM
i just picked up a 2005 xc with 69k miles on it as an eventual replacement for my 2001 which now has 205k. it's in really good shape and i paid just under $10k for it. i am planning on doing the usual stuff to it next weekend... oil change, new coolant, flush the atf, i'm even going to put in an aux. oil cooler and magnefine filter. the one thing i did find that is for sure bad is the upper torque mount. i assume the lower one is bad also. so here is my question are the ipd mounts that much better than the oem ones? the upper mount is only a little more expensive than the stock one but the lower is like 3 times the cost. how much vibration do they add?
thanks, john

2005 xc70 69k
2001 xc70 205k
1976 Mercedes 240d 239k
1969 VW Bus ???

JRL
02-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Yes, you WILL have vibration at idle.
Some cars a little, some a lot more, just depends on the car.
I hate them on all Volvos except in a manual transmission car when you really have not a lot of difference
Some don't care, up to you

The lower mounts may not be bad at that mileage
Check the breather. I've had cars including my own that were clogged at 60K and it's due for a timing belt and tensioners for time, (10 years)

von dutchoven
02-14-2015, 02:19 PM
i used a latex glove on the oil filler and there was vacuum. i was going to wait a month or two before taking on the timing belt.

sanfelice
02-14-2015, 02:21 PM
I replaced my 3 non-hydraulic engine mounts this past fall with mostly Lemforder parts, along with the torque bar shoulder mounts. I thought about the poly but I hate vibrations. The car is much smoother after replacement, and gone is the torque clunk that I had (and dealer said was fine...) prior to replacement. However, coming from 960s, these cars just have a good deal of vibration compared to those. Hard to get used to for people like me.

saltycyclist
02-14-2015, 10:27 PM
I recently purchased a set of poly bushings from Powerflex, both upper and both lower torque mounts, along with the solid aluminium strut brace ends from IPD. So far I've just installed the brace ends and the front upper bushing so far. The vibration has increased noticeably. I have yet to replace the 3 motor mounts, so those may be due for replacement soon.

2002V70XC
02-16-2015, 06:47 AM
My experience is that the IPD strut brace and IPD poly upper torque mount are not a good combo unless you have new struts. The combo would give you "jumpy steering" feel and i'm not even talking about vibration at idle.

JRL
02-16-2015, 07:03 AM
I like the little strut brace poly bushings but THAT's IT for poly bushings (for me)

von dutchoven
02-16-2015, 11:03 AM
i think i'm going to stick with the stock stuff. it sounds like the added vibration is considerable and i don't really want that.
thanks for the input.
john