PDA

View Full Version : Service Light. Check Engine Light. Reset Service Light.

Oka
02-11-2015, 12:51 AM
What do these really mean: Service Light, Check Engine Light?
Whey they come on, what should really be done?

What would be the "best" way to reset the Service Light on a 2001 Volvo XC70?

Thanks.

Xheart
02-11-2015, 03:59 AM
See Resources > How To for SRI Reset Procedure http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_sri_reset_procedures.pdf

hoonk
02-11-2015, 06:55 AM
What do these mean- Service Light, Check Engine Light?
what should really be done?

Service light means it's been 7500 miles or x hours (usually the default and is programmable on some cars) since the button was pushed to turn it off. If it was pushed with the last oil change or service - it's time again. See earlier suggestion for exactly how to push the button.

Check engine light means there is an emission related self diagnostic code stored in at least one control unit. The car thinks you are polluting. A scan with VIDA or an appropriate scan tool is required to read those codes. After reading, most codes can usually be erased without corrective action. Of course if corrective action is not done the code/s will come back when the control unit tests them during the next drive cycle.

Willy
02-11-2015, 08:23 AM
For some, less urgent things, it may require a number of OBD runs before the MIL is set. Therefore, when the
MIL stays off after a reset but is set again later, this does not always mean that the fault is intermittent.
Not all OBD monitors will run each time the car is used, some require that a number of parameters are met
before they will run and will be able to generate an alarm.
Willy

Oka
02-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Ok, now well put in perspective for me and I believe I fully understand what they mean and how.
Thanks all for the information.

Oka
02-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Ok folks. This next question would come after my previous questions.

What are (Home Garage Mechanic) tune-ups? Yep, we may not have all the tools and equipment the professional may have, but what can one do at (DIY) to qualify for a tune-up? The BMW has Tune-Up I, II and III where the latter is complete work. What can I do to mean I did a tune-up to the Volvo? I think I have enough tools to do the work (like most home car enthursiasts).

Thanks

JRL
02-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Nothing, change spark plugs if nothing else is wrong.
Obviously there are filter changes, coil pack changes at higher miles and other things that will fail but as for a tune up, per se, spark plugs is it!

Oka
02-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Actually, waiting for the parts I ordered - CVVT Solenoid kit, fuel filter and spark plugs. I will be changing oil, and it's filter and air filter also. Will be checking all fluid.

Would you say anything about distribution wire set? What are their life-span?

Thanks.

Astro14
02-12-2015, 07:40 AM
It has no spark plug wires. There are coils on the plugs. Those coils can go bad, I've replaced a few.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4697/112470-ignition-coil-with-103mm-insulator-boot