PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my 01 XC70 last night

Fischerryan
02-04-2015, 04:59 AM
Just bought an 01 XC70 yesterday. 222,000 miles, incredibly clean black on black, carfax with complete lifetime service history performed at 1 volvo dealership.... It really is a beautiful vehicle that seems very tight and reliable. Anyway, when I unlock the doors (with keyfob) and open the drivers door there is a "click, click, click". After taking notice, I found that it is the drivers mirror adjusting up and exceeding travel. Is this a known issue? Does anyone have any idea what this may be caused by? I do not have Vida Dice as of yet, but will be looking into purchasing that. That also leads me to the question of which one in particular should I get? I see multiple, with different software revisions. Does that mean the latest is the best because it will have all revised info up to the latest release? Or are they all the same?

Thanks everyone, and happy to be here!
:)

Astro14
02-04-2015, 06:05 AM
We still love our XC, so welcome to the club!

First thing I would do is adjust your seat and mirrors, then set them as position 1 on the seat memory. The car learns your settings with each fob, and then tries to set your settings when you unlock the car. I suspect the multiple drivers while this was in the hands of the dealer/salesperson has caused odd settings to be memorized.

kutcht1
02-04-2015, 06:37 AM
Welcome! Curious as to how much you payed for an older one with those miles?
There are many members here with lots of info to help you.
TomK

Fischerryan
02-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Oh, good call! I didn't realize that initiated with the fob. Thanks Astro, much appreciated. Something else that I noticed while driving home was then when in manual shift mode, it would still automatically go up one gear. For instance, I'd take off, shift to 2nd, it would automatically go to third and hold. It also manually shifted up to 4 fine, but then snuck into 5th by itself. Kind of defeats the purpose of manual shifting, so I'm assuming there may be an issue. Any ideas?

Fischerryan
02-04-2015, 06:43 AM
Tom, I paid less than 2000. And the reason I bought it was because it is in phenominal shape inside and out, and I have the complete service history in which many of the problematic issues have been taken care of. When I get to a computer that will allow me to post pics, I will do so! Thank you for the warm greetings!

Fischerryan
02-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Attempting pictures.....

MacNoob
02-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Looks great for its age!

Has it had transmission fluid replaced? Transmission is biggest concern on an '01.

Fischerryan
02-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Thanks! It hasn't since I've had it, but I believe it has been drained and changed according to it's service history. Apparently, the trans was replaced or something major done to it as well at some point too. Regardless, a trans fluid change will be coming soon. As well as a timing belt, tune up, and all the fun stuff that goes with it. As said before, this vehicle has been nothing but, or at least 95% of it's life Volvo dealer maintained. I know that doesn't set in stone that this will be "worry free", but I'm hoping it will aleviate a lot of the issues and heartache.

Astro14
02-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Going up a gear sounds like a software thing, I wouldn't sweat it. I'll try it in my T5 this afternoon and report back...

At that age/mileage, take a good look at LCA bushings and front suspension in general, as well as the PCV system. The PCV system on the T5 was pretty clean when I replaced it at 170,000 miles. Looking at it, it didn't need to be done yet, but I'm taking the car out to Colorado, where I will be working temporarily and I will be sans tools, so I was pre-emptively replacing known trouble systems. After the PITA of the PCV system plugging up and blowing the intake cam seal on the XC, I didn't want any issues cropping up out there.

Your car looks great!

Fischerryan
02-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Thank you. I really dig the black on black. I don't know how many were produced, but I haven't seen any myself, let alone black XC's. According to the carfax service history, everything in the front suspension has been replaced. LCA bushings, strut mounts, ball joints, etc.....

howardc64
02-04-2015, 10:17 AM
The other item to worry about on an 01 is the ETM (actually its the resistive contact TPS on it that wears out). Sounds like you have lots of service records. The TPS seems to last 75-140k miles for most people. Yours likely have been replaced (yellow part number sticker is replacement part, white sticker is original that came with car). Volvo diag tool can run a health check and aftermarket contactless TPS solutions are available. Link in my signature line has more info.

Suspension components and PCV seems to need replacement at ~100k mile intervals. Timing belt + rollers also at 100k interval. 220k miles should be on 2nd replacement of these items.

JRL
02-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Condolences and good luck with it!

Fischerryan
02-04-2015, 02:36 PM
TPM is good as well

Fischerryan
02-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Sorry, ETM!

Xheart
02-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Oh, good call! I didn't realize that initiated with the fob. Thanks Astro, much appreciated. Something else that I noticed while driving home was then when in manual shift mode, it would still automatically go up one gear. For instance, I'd take off, shift to 2nd, it would automatically go to third and hold. It also manually shifted up to 4 fine, but then snuck into 5th by itself. Kind of defeats the purpose of manual shifting, so I'm assuming there may be an issue. Any ideas?

There is a mechanism that keep the shift in respective mode, Auto/Manual.
It breaks, which causes the shift to move between the two modes.
It is a DIY. Take care of it. I fixed it on ours.

More here...
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?26312-Shifter-won-t-slide-in-Geartronic-position&highlight=shifter

kutcht1
02-04-2015, 04:55 PM
WOW! That thing looks better than my 2006! Sounds like a nice find and I also love the black on black. Sharp XC.
TomK

Fischerryan
02-05-2015, 05:08 AM
Thank you Xheart! I am definitely going to look into that.... And Thanks Tomk! :) I must say.... I have been on numerous forums (for various makes/models) and it seems like everyone here is more mellow, eager to help/be insiteful/be complimentary. It's appreciated and a very welcome experience compared to many of the other forums I've been on.

I did have a scare last night. My intercooler to ETM hose popped off at the intercooler after gunning it into traffic. Luckily it wasn't anything major, but it doesn't seem to have the turbo engagement (after reinstalling/tightening the hose) it did prior to that. Maybe I'm over analyzing and thinking to much about it, causing me to THINK there's something there that's not. Otherwise, everything is good to go!

Fischerryan
02-05-2015, 06:41 AM
Wondering if my "lack of power" issue could be this: When the hose popped off, could the TCV have read incorrectly, causing a code then causing the turbo not to boost, storing the code.... Then once the hose was back on, the TCV stored code remained and is keeping the turbo from providing boost to the engine in which, possibly erasing the code will provide functionality back to the TCV which in turn will allow turbo "boost" back to the engine???? Hmmm..... I didn't have a check engine light, but I will hook a scanner up later. I'm shopping for a VIDA DICE, but not quite sure which one to pull the trigger on

Forkster
02-05-2015, 08:30 AM
TCV lasts around 8-10 years. I replaced mine at 7 years and noticed a big change. You might also look at the TCV tubing as well. They tend to crack when they age and leak which robs power and boost.

Fischerryan
02-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Thanks Forkster, I just got done reading about some TCV issues/symptoms, a writeup on building your own HD TCV (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?15007-DIY-Turbo-Control-Valve/page2) and how the hoses go bad. Good info. It was running great w/no issues until the hose popped off, then seems to not have the power/turbo pull it did. That's why I'm curious whether stored codes will keep the car turbo from dumping boost to the engine, until any codes are cleared

Fischerryan
02-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Great info, thanks! I was reading up on TCV's and hoses going to them. Didn't know they could be so troublesome, although the TCV on the Volvo appears to be like the N75 valves on Audi's. I had instances where if I had codes stored (wheter CEL was on or not), the vehicle would not perform correctly until cleared. I'm curious if that is what is happening in my case. I'm not quite sure yet how Volvo's operate in their systems and funtions, but I will. :)

Forkster
02-05-2015, 12:34 PM
I would swap it out with one from IPD and replace your tubing. It's probably due anyways and a good maintenance item.

Fischerryan
02-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Checked the TCV and associated hoses when I got home yesterday. They all looked good, but doesn't mean it didn't go bad. Cleared history and called the Volvo dealer. $83 which I thought was actually a half decent price compared to other items. So I headed on out to the dealer, and wouldn't you know. I could feel my turbo kicking in! I don't know if it was clearing the history or clearing the history and cycling the key? Maybe it's intermittent? If so, what could cause intermittent turbo performance besides the TCV?

vtl
02-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Boost recovers as soon as the pipe is reattached.

Steve F
02-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Thank you Xheart! I am definitely going to look into that.... And Thanks Tomk! :) I must say.... I have been on numerous forums (for various makes/models) and it seems like everyone here is more mellow, eager to help/be insiteful/be complimentary. It's appreciated and a very welcome experience compared to many of the other forums I've been on.
Well..... most everyone.... ;-)

Congrats on the car. I also have an '01 with similar mileage and wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip. Good luck with it!

Fischerryan
02-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Lol, yeah. I probably spoke too soon..... Waiting for the moment I eat my words

Fischerryan
02-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks VTL, that's interesting. If my suspicions are incorrect, then I may have an intermittent problem. But first I'll see how she drives on the way home, then take it from there...

vtl
02-06-2015, 12:34 PM
DiCE+VIDA would be a great help, if you plan to keep the car.

Fischerryan
02-06-2015, 12:50 PM
I know, and I plan on it. I'm trying to research which one to get though. I hear good things/bad things about the chinese knock offs, so hesitant on pulling the trigger with one of those....