PDA

View Full Version : help... electronic contol module

chinapat
02-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Hi. So, about ten days ago on a particularly cold morning, I went out to my car and it wouldn't turn over. All kinds of warnings popped up "Brake Failure - Stop Safely", "Anti Skid Requires Services" "ABS service required", etc.,... Bottom line, it wouldn't turn over and didn't start.

Towed to the independent shop where I've had all my work done until now. They looked at it, and concluded it was the differential controle module. They went out, replaced it with a rebuilt one, a new oil pump, and $1000+ later, I got the car back on Friday evening. Friday was warm-ish. Car was fine.

Saturday morning was COLD again - near minus-9. Again, same thing... car wouldn't turn over, and a host of warnings on the display.

Now they think its the Electronic Control Module. A new one is going to run $850 + $100 for programming... a rebuilt one is going to be $600 and change.

I don't mind paying to get the car fixed - when you buy a volvo and you don't know how to do the work yourself - you kind of sign up for that, but I do want to make sure I'm on the right track.

My question: can you rebuild the ECM? From my google search, it seems more like a motherboard from a PC than a mechanical part... how easy can that be to "rebuild"?

Pat
-2007XC70

nickbw
02-03-2015, 12:51 PM
I think you have been rash to trust you indy shop to the tune of $1000! Clearly hindsight shows them not to be expert: so why add to the misery? Get to a Volvo dealer and be very cautious what you agree to!

Antherzoll
02-03-2015, 01:00 PM
How's your battery? :)

hoonk
02-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Bottom line, it wouldn't turn over and didn't start. - concluded it was the differential controle module.

DEM problems do occur (loss of awd) and are expensive to fix but will not cause the car to not start.

What other codes are present leading someone to think your CEM is bad?

As others have asked - How is your battery? A weak battery can cause all sorts of computer problems/error messages. Did you try to jump start or recharge the battery from another vehicle when it would not turn over? Does it start later in the day after the weather warms up?

Yes, the CEM is just a small computer and can sometimes be fixed. (Question Zemodex on your specific codes to see if it's a common code that they have fixed before)

JRL
02-03-2015, 03:39 PM
New battery first and and check all the battery cables and connections at that time
Next: Do NOT go back to that shop, they have no idea what to do and they do NOT know Volvos
You got screwed on the DEM

22volvo
02-16-2015, 07:36 PM
I have a 2004 v70 w/ 2.5T 194k.
Had the intermittent "Brake failure. Stop Safely" and occasional no start 3 years ago until I pulled both modules, cleaned the contacts and sockets w/ non-lubricating contact cleaner then put a significant amount of dielectric grease across the sockets before re-installing the two modules. That was around 132k miles.
It looked like some moisture penetration (stains at bottom of enclosure around sockets) because the outer protective compartment did not seal completely at the bottom. Also noted there were two screws missing that are needed to keep the socket base assembly fixed to the bottom part of the enclosure. Without the screws, the modules stick up enough to prevent the upper part of the case from sealing.
Make sure the cooling fan works and the outer case seals. Use some good HVAC foil tape if required.