PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Tensioner installation help needed

Carzguy6
02-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Hello, I have been replacing the camshaft seals on my 2001 V70XC Turbo wagon and have replaced the seals, water pump, belt and tensioner. I have been searching the forums as well as watching youtube videos. I cannot find a definitive answer to a few questions.

1. What is the torque for the bolt that holds the exhaust gear on the cam. This is the big bolt with the torx head that holds the gear on- not the smaller cover
2. What is the torque for the tensioner bolt?
3. When adjusting the tensioner where should the "temperature pointer" be? On one youtube video they say that it shoule be in the middle of the two metal tabs, if your shop temperature is 60 - 70 degrees. I am working in a cold garage 30 - 40 degrees. Should it be in the middle?

I have completed everything else and adjusting the tensioner is what I need to do and I am really afraid of messing it up. I do have to move on the replacing the PCV system and hoses next as I believe they are clogged and caused the intake seal to blow out, resulting in all of my oil pouring out of the engine.

Any advice is appreciated!

Guy
2001 Volvo v70xc turbo

gstallons
02-02-2015, 09:30 AM
On any bolt you don't know the torque value , measure the bolt diameter at the threads with a digital caliper . Look at a torque table for bolts . The fasteners are all metric , so use a metric bolt torque table . Some show dry , oiled and anti-seize on the threads .
p.s. good luck on indexing the timing gear !

howardc64
02-02-2015, 10:16 AM
2. What is the torque for the tensioner bolt?
3. When adjusting the tensioner where should the "temperature pointer" be? On one youtube video they say that it shoule be in the middle of the two metal tabs, if your shop temperature is 60 - 70 degrees. I am working in a cold garage 30 - 40 degrees. Should it be in the middle?

http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/timing-belt-replacement.pdf

Volvo directions says 20Nm on the tensioner bolt. Bottom of page 6 of directions. Looking at the tensioner adjustment for -5F, 68F, 120F, you should be fine in the middle of the goal post. Perhaps 1/2 way between -5F and 68F if you think garage/engine temp is 30-40F.

Carzguy6
02-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Thank you so much. That is the info I needed. I wanted to make sure I didn't set it to the wrong position.