PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch Options

Antherzoll
01-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Unfortunately I need to install one, was trying to keep away for towing with this vehicle but I've got to help someone move cross country and it's the more economical option. I'm sure I'll get more use out of it in the future, mainly as a parking buffer :D, so this will be a permanent install.

I've seen both Curts and Hidden Hitch tow bars and they look super easy to install. Just wondering if anyone has experience or pictures with the OE bar and wiring harness. If it's a cleaner install I'd like to go OE.

Thank You

ncxc
01-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Just saw ipd has a hitch package on clearance. Hth

Antherzoll
01-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Just saw ipd has a hitch package on clearance. Hth

Shipping makes that option prohibitive, unless you want to drive it up here for me :D

JRL
01-26-2015, 09:01 AM
Not the best of ideas. You will also need to install an additional tranny cooler, change the fluid often and PRAY!
When I see one of these for sale and it has a hitch, I automatically pass on it, the likelihood of the transmission being bad or going bad is very high!

Antherzoll
01-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Transmission cooler is already installed and I D&F my transmission fluid every other oil change with Mobile 1 3309 and it comes out quite clean(I know this is overkill, but my XC is quite modded ~300hp :D, but I'll load my stock tune, or possible a reduced tune for the trip). I will be taking it easy with the trailer, gear it properly on hills, and it's only 1500lbs plus whatever extra a can squeeze in the XC, but I know there will be some big hills, and honestly if the transmission fails it brings me closer to a MT swap :).

As for praying... sorry I'm not a religious man, but I do love and respect everyone equally. :)

ncxc
01-26-2015, 09:23 AM
Ahhh sorry. Just saw the free shipping only is for the lower 48. Once I take over the xc70 full time I will be putting on a hitch for a small boat. No real weight and the boat ramp is 5 miles away so I'm not too worried about wear and tear. Love the idea of a parking buffer though ;).

sjonnie
01-26-2015, 11:55 AM
I've seen both Curts and Hidden Hitch tow bars and they look super easy to install. Just wondering if anyone has experience or pictures with the OE bar and wiring harness. If it's a cleaner install I'd like to go OE.
Yes OE is cleaner, it hides in the bumper and the wiring harness just plugs in. You could do an aftermarket hitch, saving you from the hassle of cutting your bumper and pair that with the OE wiring harness if you don't want to tap into the wires and that will be only marginally more expensive than a full aftermarket install. You'll barely notice the receiver under the bumper anyway and the ground clearance is high enough to not be a concern. I have the full Curtis aftermarket setup and it works just fine, pulled a 3,000lb trailer with it no problem.

Antherzoll
01-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Yes OE is cleaner, it hides in the bumper and the wiring harness just plugs in. You could do an aftermarket hitch, saving you from the hassle of cutting your bumper and pair that with the OE wiring harness if you don't want to tap into the wires and that will be only marginally more expensive than a full aftermarket install. You'll barely notice the receiver under the bumper anyway and the ground clearance is high enough to not be a concern.

I've done some rough searching but I've not found any pictures of a OE hitch installed would you have any, cutting the bumper doesn't bother me unless it's too involved. Also I came across a post stating that the wiring harness needs to be initialized though VIDA. While I own a VIDA/DiCE, was wondering is this a software download or just a parameter that can be selected in the program.

Steve F
01-26-2015, 03:33 PM
I've got the Curt hitch on my car and it was a snap to bolt on, I think it took a half hour including rounding up the tools. I bought the factory harness, it's plug & play and couldn't be easier. I posted the illustrated instructions with the harness on here somewhere.

Steve F
01-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?11758-Installing-trailer-tow-wiring

Antherzoll
01-27-2015, 06:26 AM
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?11758-Installing-trailer-tow-wiring

Thanks for the link, unfortunately the PN for the harness is for 01-04. I haven't had much time to search, but if anyone has a PN for a 05 harness please let me know.

skibo
01-27-2015, 10:28 AM
i went with the OE hitch because of the way it nested in the bumper, but I was not thrilled with the design or build quality. Lots of bolted together parts, and some weld spatter in one spot that kept the pieces from seating properly, so I had to grind it off (along with the nice baked on paint)

Steve F
01-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Sorry, I thought they were the same.

perkinscl
01-27-2015, 09:08 PM
I've done some rough searching but I've not found any pictures of a OE hitch installed would you have any, cutting the bumper doesn't bother me unless it's too involved. Also I came across a post stating that the wiring harness needs to be initialized though VIDA. While I own a VIDA/DiCE, was wondering is this a software download or just a parameter that can be selected in the program.

I bought the OEM Volvo hitch last year and installed it. I can take a pic if you want. You do have to cut the silver part of the bumper out and I was anal about it, but once the bumper goes back on, you can't really tell.

There's a good video on Youtube of the installation process. Between that and Volvo VIDA instructions, it's easy to follow. You'll need about 10-12 new rivets to get the bumper back on.

I didn't install the wiring. Actually, I've had the hitch on for almost a year and haven't used it for anything. I had wanted to put a hitch bike rack on it. Everything I read about the wiring said you need the module and plug and then the updated software for newer Volvos. Erie Vovo has some OEM wiring harnesses with Volvo parts #'s on Ebay pretty frequently.

Antherzoll
01-29-2015, 08:06 AM
Yeah, so I searched for the video on youtube and it looks way more involved. The finish looks great, but not worth the extra effort if I need to goto the dealer for a "Towing Package Upload" to get the wiring harness hooked up for my model year. Looks like Curts or Hidden Hitch are the best options for me so far.

Antherzoll
01-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Thought I'd give the dealer a call just out of curiosity on what they charge for a "Towing Package" for the XC70 and they said "off the bat I can tell you it's going to be $1200-$1300 installed"...

Reverend
01-31-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah, the dealer here (Texas) wants around $1000 for it installed. Damn.

Get the OE hitch. Mainly because it's a 2" receiver vs. the 1.25" in the aftermarket (that way you don't have to get adapters for common accessories) and it tucks into the rear valance nicely. There's a template in the valance so you know where to cut it.

Volvos OE harness and tow module just plug in, so that part is easy. The ugly part is that the hitch is around $300 shipped, then the harness is $80ish and the trailer module is another $80. It's expensive, but that's the way I'm going.

Oh - and if you don't need if after you're done, let me know and I'll buy the hitch and harness from you once you arrive. :D

Antherzoll
01-31-2015, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I've already ordered a curts c/w receiver, ball, lock, and wiring kit for $260cdn. The ease of instalation plus the $ savaings makes it worth it, in the end if I find that I i have no use or i really dislike the look of the hitch, the curt hitch mounts with 6 bolts and can be installed/removed in 20mins without cutting so if JRL is looking for my XC I can remove the hitch and he'd be none the wiser :p