PDA

View Full Version : DEM and AOC removal help

Skater
01-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I have a 2006 XC70 with 160kms. I lost my AWD and had it diagnosed at a Volvo dealership and it was determined the AOC pump shorted, causing my DEM to fry. They quoted $4400 to replace the DEM and pump, $3100 of which was for a new DEM. I told them to hold off, got my car back, did some research, and found a company that will rebuild it and send me a new pump for $1000CDN. I just have to remove the DEM and send it to them. Does anyone have the instructions on how to remove the DEM and AOC? Thanks.

hightest
01-22-2015, 12:25 PM
I have a 2006 XC70 with 160kms. I lost my AWD and had it diagnosed at a Volvo dealership and it was determined the AOC pump shorted, causing my DEM to fry. They quoted $4400 to replace the DEM and pump, $3100 of which was for a new DEM. I told them to hold off, got my car back, did some research, and found a company that will rebuild it and send me a new pump for $1000CDN. I just have to remove the DEM and send it to them. Does anyone have the instructions on how to remove the DEM and AOC? Thanks.

Hi - I had the same problem on my 2006 with 320k and I saved alot of money thanks to the folks on this site. Here are some things that were shared with me. I did the DEM swap myself and then it shorted out again as I did not change the AOC pump...so change the pump or it will short out your DEM a second time...I learned the hard way ....fortunately the rebuild folks did it a second time for free.

Here is some information I was given.

DEM repair...these guys were great and only cost $475.00 CND ....based in Mississauga Ontario

http://www.xemodex.ca

Removal is pretty straight forward. Two bolts with 4 or 5mm allen head. If all goes well it is a 5 minute job. You cannot drive the car with the module removed.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?137329-Looking-for-the-haldex-and-temperature-sensor-diagram

AOC Removal:

I have cut and pasted in what was given to me....

Hi, this overall Haldex service guide from net was wery helpfull for me:

"First I would like to say this was more difficult than I had thought. I am a time served mechanic of 25 years and have tools that most diyers will not have so I will try to be as specific as I can.

1. Remove negative battery terminal. If you don't have access to a vehicle lift or pit (which is best) then get your XC well jacked up safely on axle stands and I also put blocks under the rear wheels as well. Chock the front wheels and put in park or gear. Remember safety first, you are a long time dead.
2. I sugest removing the exhaust first as I didn't and struggled. It was much easyer putting it back together getting access to the propshaft bolts.
3. Remove the electrical plugs and the 2 x 4mm allen screws that hold on the haldex control box or DEM box as volvo call it.
4. Mark your propshaft and flange so when you re-fit it can go back in the same place. Remove the 6 x allen bolts that hold on the rear of the propshaft. Then find an m8 bolt x 20mm. On the back of the propshaft flange you will see 4 x extra m8 bolt holts (see pic in gallery). These are for pushing out the propshaft CV joint centre. I did it with just 1 bolt very carefully, but you may need to put at least 2. It all depends how stuck fast yours is.
5. Next remove the 4 x bolts from the propshaft centre bearing and let the propshaft down to the floor. If you are on a lift or over a pit I sugest tieing some string and supporting it. The heat shield will need to have the small plastic clips removed to allow this. Also forgot to say to support your cat exhaust on the flexi joint.
6. The next thing is to remove the 24mm nut that holds the propshaft flange to the AOC. I also marked the nut and shaft so as to try and tighten it to the same place when re-building. I used an air wrench to remove it. But i'm sure if you could hold the flange with say a filter strap you could get it undone.
7. Mark the flange and centre. I suggest the use of a puller to get the flange off. I very gently warmed mine with a blow lamp testing how hot it was getting from the back so as to not damage the oil seal. Then hit it from the rear with a suitable hammer and punch. (This is not good becasue you are so close to the electronic terminals of the pressure sensor). Best to get a puller if you can. Oil will run out once the flange is removed.
8. You now have access to the pump and oil filter. Remove the 2 x allen bolts on both and gently prise out. The filter will just come out because there is a spring between the cover and the filter.
9. I went for my dinner and let the oil drain out. Approx 1 hour.
10. wipe out the holes. don't be tempted to use an airline as this might blow particles into the ports of your AOC.
11. Clean off the pump, same again wipe.
12. fit new style filter. (see gallery)
13. Re- fit pump
14. Fill with volvo AOC oil. I used an old atf bottle. I managed to get 400mls in it but I suspect thats because the car is jacked up. I will remove the bung again on the level.
15. Re-fit the prop flange taking cared to align your marks. Fit nut and tighten. Mine went back slightly tighter than my mark.
16. Re-fit prop same again aligning your marks, tighten each bolt a small amount so it pulls the cv joint centre back in gradually. check and double check those bolts
17. re-fit DEM module.
18. re-fit exhaust.
Thats it, Battery lead back on, switch back on and listen for pump going.
Take for a test drive and when you get back look for oil leaks.
I hope its a long time before I have to do this again, but I have a friend with an xc70 and I'm sure I will end up doing it as well.
Also the old oil was much thicker than the new and it has blobs of what looked like litium grease (see pic) but that was all no metal or hard bits.
Have fun.

Botttom line was .... I ended up finding an Independent shop who used my rebuilt DEM and they did the AOC remove and replace for $700.00....all in all I spent about $1400 on it all including the pump purchase....alot less than the stealership wanted.

Hope this helps

Skater
01-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your help hightest. I did find your original post from December 2013, which is how I found out about Xemodex and the step by step procedure. Your additional link to the Sweedespeed was very helpful too. I got both the new AOC pump and DEM rebuild. I did all the work myself and it was a major PITA! Getting things apart took about 6 hours, but it went back together in about 1 hour! Just have to fill with oil tonight and then go for a test drive. Fingers crossed.