PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing an XC, 2000-2004

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 12:22 PM
So, I see the 2001 is the "new generation." I used to own a really nice '08 V70, but would like to have something that might drive in the snow. (That was sure a a surprise.)

Any suggestions on what to look for or stay away from? Can I post cars I am looking at here (CL ads) and gets suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 12:40 PM
So, I tend to want to stay WAY away from rebuilt titles, but this is super-cheap. Looks kind of scary to me.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/4822019556.html

pelagikos
01-04-2015, 12:42 PM
So, I see the 2001 is the "new generation." I used to own a really nice '08 V70, but would like to have something that might drive in the snow. (That was sure a a surprise.)

Any suggestions on what to look for or stay away from? Can I post cars I am looking at here (CL ads) and gets suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The rule of thumb is to stay away from 01 and 02.
The reliability-wise they made somewhat of a leap in MY03 and then, generally speaking, improved ever year thereafter.

Antherzoll
01-04-2015, 12:43 PM
01-02 < 03-04 < 05 < 06-07

http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/beforeorafterpurchase.htm

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks - helpful information.

Of course this one has higher mileage, but it is more like my V70...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4822752214.html

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Excellent - thank you. My '08 V70 was a good car, overall. It was taken care of nicely, though, having had it since it was nearly new. I may focus more on the '04 XC

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Too much for this one? Would you offer less than $5200?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4822752214.html

Astro14
01-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Best thing for driving in the snow is four good snow tires!

AWD is nice for hills, but it doesn't help you stop or turn.

Snow tires help with everything. And, in fact, can double the traction provided by all season tires. Nokian makes great tires.

Plus, four tires are cheaper than another car.

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Good point, but I don't think my '91 300SE would drive anywhere in the snow, even with the best snow tires. (Last winter was scary as hell, and I know HOW to drive in the snow. It did me NO good.) I know Subarus get around without them, and even our Mini did better than the V70 in the snow, sans snow tires.

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Is posting Craigslist ads for advice not allowed?

I was wondering, because it is usually allowed on other forums, and the posts that included links did not show up here. (I inquired in the OP but didn't get an answer re this.)

Astro14
01-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Good point, but I don't think my '91 300SE would drive anywhere in the snow, even with the best snow tires. (Last winter was scary as hell, and I know HOW to drive in the snow. It did me NO good.) I know Subarus get around without them, and even our Mini did better than the V70 in the snow, sans snow tires.

When I lived in Vermont, I saw dozens of Subarus crash in snow. All were out of state folks who thought AWD was magic. They all thought all season tires were fine.

I would drive by the crashed Subies in my old RWD Volvo 240.

It had four snow tires.

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Hmmm... I almost got a 240. But, I know I sat teetering not he edge of a ditch in my 300SE last winter, and watched nothing but Subarus - at least a good half-dozen - zip past me. Honestly - 100% of the cars on the road were Subarus. All kinds. As I sat there waiting my fate... My V70 was just about as bad. But no doubt - snow tires would have helped. I have always opted for chains, though, because I see what snow tires do to our roads around here, and people don't take them on and off. :)

Leto Atreides II
01-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Studded tires do damage to the roads, snow tires without studs do not.

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Um, good point. I was thinking of studded tires. Der...

Adacquist
01-04-2015, 11:30 PM
I would drive by the crashed Subies in my old RWD Volvo 240.

I think it really depends on the year and model. I had a '78 Subaru (yes, it was old, and I am old) that was the ONLY car on the road when it DUMPED snow back around '89, was it? Anyway, I kid you not - it was so serious it was my obligation to, and I spent the entire day driving around picking up old people that were stranded on one of our major hills here. Just for that, I loved that car to pieces. Anyway, I digress. I am getting my '04 XC tomorrow. Not a Subaru. And when I get that kick-ass job that pays a TON more money, I will buy a newer one. I like the combination of decent gas mileage for the amount of luxury and off-road ability you get with these Volvos. (The VDCs Subarus with the H6's are pretty damn nice, though.)

pelagikos
01-05-2015, 04:49 AM
Hmmm... I almost got a 240. But, I know I sat teetering not he edge of a ditch in my 300SE last winter, and watched nothing but Subarus - at least a good half-dozen - zip past me. Honestly - 100% of the cars on the road were Subarus. All kinds. As I sat there waiting my fate... My V70 was just about as bad. But no doubt - snow tires would have helped. I have always opted for chains, though, because I see what snow tires do to our roads around here, and people don't take them on and off. :)

In snow, snow tires is a GREAT improvement on ANY car, like night and day.

That said, being where I am, we typically only get a few snow days a year, and I cannot possiblly justify wearing snow tires. Hardly anyone does that here, and it's mostly people who ski regularly and need to get to the slopes when it is snowing the most.

I've owned cars that would not navigate through 2 inches of snow, and would leave me stranded at the office.

On the Volvo I am wearing random all-seasons, and it's great for what I need. Anything up to about 2 feet of snow (depends on the snow) - it plows through just fine. I try to be very careful on highways, but the greatest risk is that another, overconfident driver will hit me, and snow tires won't help with that.

Astro14
01-05-2015, 07:52 AM
I think it really depends on the year and model. I had a '78 Subaru (yes, it was old, and I am old) that was the ONLY car on the road when it DUMPED snow back around '89, was it? Anyway, I kid you not - it was so serious it was my obligation to, and I spent the entire day driving around picking up old people that were stranded on one of our major hills here. Just for that, I loved that car to pieces. Anyway, I digress. I am getting my '04 XC tomorrow. Not a Subaru. And when I get that kick-ass job that pays a TON more money, I will buy a newer one. I like the combination of decent gas mileage for the amount of luxury and off-road ability you get with these Volvos. (The VDCs Subarus with the H6's are pretty damn nice, though.)

No, it really doesn't depend on year.

It depends on traction.

I watched, that is, watched, a Subie crash right in front of me. Couldn't hack the turn. Nice new one. Mass plates. All-season tires. Hit the snow bank, took out a road sign/pole. I gave the owner a ride up the hill (the steep, snowy, winding Vermont hill on which he had just crashed) in my 240. He said, and I am not making this up, "Wow, I didn't know these came in All Wheel Drive". I replied, "They don't".

If you've not driven on recent dedicated winter tires, you have no idea what you're talking about. They simply are night and day compared with all seasons. They can have up to twice the traction of all seasons in snow and/or ice. That's enough that a RWD Volvo beats an AWD Subaru (or a FWD Volvo beats an AWD Volvo) in every aspect of performance.

That same hill was the scene of two other crashes that day....both cars totaled as they slid off the road going downhill and hit a big Maple tree (the tree won). Both of those cars were Subarus. Both had all season tires.

Snow tires help you stop, too...and no amount of ABS, Traction Control, or Stability Control, can make up for insufficient traction caused by tires can't grip the road.

The only drawback of the XC in the snow is this: overconfidence. You can step on the gas, and the car just hooks up and goes, where a 2WD would spin a tire or flash the traction control warning. But the XC's excellent grip hides the actual conditions. You won't know how slippery the road is until you try to stop... and the ABS kicks in way sooner than you expect...and stopping becomes an issue.

pelagikos
01-05-2015, 09:13 AM
You can step on the gas, and the car just hooks up and goes, where a 2WD would spin a tire or flash the traction control warning. But the XC's excellent grip hides the actual conditions. You won't know how slippery the road is until you try to stop... and the ABS kicks in way sooner than you expect...and stopping becomes an issue.

+1

Leto Atreides II
01-05-2015, 10:13 AM
AWD helps you go, snow tires help you stop. :)

Adacquist
01-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Bought it. The '04 XC.
They didn't even know about the button on the fob for the auto (back) hatch. Not working. I would like to get that fixed.

Adacquist
01-05-2015, 08:30 PM
No, it really doesn't depend on year.

It depends on traction.
Maybe I was just a good driver, since I was the only car on the road that wasn't stuck... :)

JRL
01-05-2015, 08:32 PM
There is no button for the back hatch so you're right, they did not know because there isn't one.
The back opens when the rear (side) doors are unlocked.
The other button is a panic (alarm) button... sort of useless unless you need to find your car in a big parking lot!

Adacquist
01-05-2015, 08:32 PM
That said, being where I am, we typically only get a few snow days a year, and I cannot possiblly justify wearing snow tires. Hardly anyone does that here, and it's mostly people who ski regularly and need to get to the slopes when it is snowing the most.

Same. I think I should start going skiing more.

Adacquist
01-05-2015, 08:34 PM
There is no button for the back hatch so you're right, they did not know because there isn't one.

It is the same button I had on my V70- a button with a picture of the hatch in the up position - and it made the hatch go up. But you are saying that isn't what the button does? What does the button do, then?

Antherzoll
01-05-2015, 08:50 PM
It is the same button I had on my V70- a button with a picture of the hatch in the up position - and it made the hatch go up. But you are saying that isn't what the button does? What does the button do, then?

It unlocks the hatch, leaves the rest of the car locked, and doesn't disable the alarm. Unsure if the autolock/arm feature works after closing the hatch as I always arm it after, never waited long enough.

Leto Atreides II
01-05-2015, 09:20 PM
It does not make the hatch go up, it just unlocks the hatch without unlocking the other doors.

Antherzoll
01-05-2015, 09:34 PM
It unlocks the hatch, leaves the rest of the car locked, and doesn't disable the alarm. Unsure if the autolock/arm feature works after closing the hatch as I always arm it after, never waited long enough.

:)

JRL
01-05-2015, 09:49 PM
I have a switchblade key but yes it unlocks it but there's no power to lift it

Adacquist
01-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Darn. I miss that about my '08, and the "keyless start."

I feel a bout of princess-itis coming on...

Adacquist
01-06-2015, 12:34 AM
Any cool features about this car that I probably don't know?
I figured out how to set the radio stations to my liking, reading the dash computer, and a bunch of other things.
Next I look up what the "W" button does by the shifter and figure out how to flip the center of the back seat.

Antherzoll
01-06-2015, 05:20 AM
Don't use the "W" button. You can read up on it's function, and much more, in your owners manual.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_xc70/05xc70_00.htm

Button 5 (Tailgate unlock): Press this button twice within 3 seconds to unlock the tailgate (without unlocking the other doors).

W Winter/Wet driving mode - enhanced vehicle traction
AKA - I don't know how to drive mode.
AKA - Winter Boot Mode
Essentially starts the car in 3rd gear to limit torque to the wheels. I guess it's great if you have your big old winter boots on and lack the finesse you normally would with proper foot attire. I find driving with my 8" Size 12 winter steel toes a bit cumbersome with this vehicle, I've left a set of running shoes in the back.

Adacquist
01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Don't use the "W" button. You can read up on it's function, and much more, in your owners manual.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_xc70/05xc70_00.htm

AKA - I don't know how to drive mode.
AKA - Winter Boot Mode
Essentially starts the car in 3rd gear to limit torque to the wheels. I guess it's great if you have your big old winter boots on and lack the finesse you normally would with proper foot attire. I find driving with my 8" Size 12 winter steel toes a bit cumbersome with this vehicle, I've left a set of running shoes in the back.

Oh god - seriously. Forget that.

Adacquist
01-06-2015, 09:38 AM
It does not make the hatch go up, it just unlocks the hatch without unlocking the other doors.
This car was bought in Bellevue. Do you have a mechanic you recommend? (I am just South of Kenmore.)

Leto Atreides II
01-06-2015, 09:55 AM
I bought the car at the end of 2010 from JRL, and have done all the work on it myself (sometimes with help from a friend) so far. So I don't have any first hand experience with any of the mechanics around here. Howard has some notes on a few local indie mechanics on his site: http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/repairshops.htm

Adacquist
01-06-2015, 08:04 PM
I bought the car at the end of 2010 from JRL, and have done all the work on it myself (sometimes with help from a friend) so far. So I don't have any first hand experience with any of the mechanics around here. Howard has some notes on a few local indie mechanics on his site: http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/repairshops.htm
Interesting - thank you. I will not go back to Sanberg, though after threatening to drive my V70 through their massive glass window.

Adacquist
01-06-2015, 08:35 PM
These are some of the most interesting reviews I have ever read. http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-green-car-company-bellevue

vtl
01-07-2015, 12:12 AM
The only drawback of the XC in the snow is this: overconfidence. You can step on the gas, and the car just hooks up and goes, where a 2WD would spin a tire or flash the traction control warning. But the XC's excellent grip hides the actual conditions. You won't know how slippery the road is until you try to stop... and the ABS kicks in way sooner than you expect...and stopping becomes an issue.
+1, ABS does not help much to stop in snow. You still need to pump the brakes.

I hated last two winters spent on all-seasons (out-of-season, in fact). Winter tires for winter, summer tires for summer.

Adacquist
01-11-2015, 12:28 PM
AND.... someone hit my new Volvo last night. Ugh. This city is too crowded

Antherzoll
01-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Sorry to hear that, was it bad? Too many drivers are disconnect from their surrounding and usually don't care about what happening around them, and unfortunately they give a license to anyone.