PDA

View Full Version : is this the Transmission Fluid dipstick? Why won't it slide out when I pull on it?

Instigator
01-01-2015, 01:34 PM
At first I had trouble finding the Transmission Fluid Dipstick on 2001 V70 Cross Country until I read that it didn't actually have a handle that most dipsticks have to pull it out, it was basically a little "cap"

I am pretty sure I've found it now (see attached photos)

I just want to check with you guys before I yank it out and break it as it the little "cap" rotates freely and I can even lift it up from the pipe it is on by a millimeter or two but it won't lift up any further... it feels like it is attached to something within the pipe, perhaps some type of O-ring seal that if I pull hard enough on it will come out or is there some sort of secure lock type clamp on it to keep it from falling off that I need to undo or remove before I pull the cap up -

also I'm guessing even though it doesn't have a handle like normal dipsticks that there is a dipstick attached to the little cap thingy?

so, do I just pull the cap off with brute force? I think there is a metal wire type spring hose clamp further down the pipe but it is so far down it looks like it isn't anywhere near something that I'd imagine is holding the cap on? But it seems a strange thing to have on the short stubby pipe thing coming out of the transmission anyway so perhaps it really is holding the dipstick in?

anyway, I'm just being really cautious as the american cars I'm used to working on are so much simpler and this car seems really fancy and over-engineered and I don't want to break it with my big american meat hooks...

Instigator
01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
ok, found a new youtube video that shows a slightly different "dipstick"

it looks like it should be buried further down and harder to reach than the little yellow "cap" I found on my car...

and it has a little tiny handle... it isn't just a little cap...

I'll have another peek at the engine in the morning and see for sure...

argh...

nickbw
01-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Look about six inches further forward and several inches lower. What you photo is the breather valve. The coolant hose to the left runs directly over it hiding it. Watch out for very high temp and radiator fan which can turn on at any moment!

See link for photo - sorry poor quality, it was 12.30am and I am not used to iPhone's camera!

https://app.box.com/s/qwjtudbq5bmzum17oben

billr99
01-01-2015, 06:09 PM
This tranny dipstick is pretty normal and just like any other regardless of where the cars are made. In this case, it doesn't have a "loop top" ring like some cars, but more of a circular "
cap" as you call it. Anyway, as you lift up on it there is a spring steel catch that needs to be sprung out of the way to pull the stick. You can't get more than one arm down in there, so as you grasp the top of the stick with your index and middle fingers, use your thumb to move the spring clip away so that the stick comes free. A bit of a fiddle, but once you get use to it, it's no big deal.

Just as we mentioned last time, do you have a owners manual for your car? If not, check here http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2001/2001_XC/01xc_00.htm and all will be made clear.

Have fun,

Bill

Antherzoll
01-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Looks like this
Look down below to the left of the intake box, behind the vacuum and intake hoses and you should find it.

Instigator
01-02-2015, 06:05 AM
thanks guys!

Glad I didn't pull the breather valve out now!

thanks again!

Look about six inches further forward and several inches lower. What you photo is the breather valve. The coolant hose to the left runs directly over it hiding it. Watch out for very high temp and radiator fan which can turn on at any moment!

See link for photo - sorry poor quality, it was 12.30am and I am not used to iPhone's camera!

https://app.box.com/s/qwjtudbq5bmzum17oben

Astro14
01-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Took me a long time to find that dipstick the first time I went looking for it. Longer than I would like to admit...

Instigator
01-04-2015, 01:39 PM
ok...

found it....

i think i can now find the dipstick with my eyes closed as I have to feel around to touch the little "lock" spring thingy and then the handle of it... so by touch i can get to it now...

successfully changed the transmission fluid...

thanks guys!

just saved 200 quid... ok, well about 120 quid in labour... the transmission fluid itself was 80 quid i think...

the next time I have to do it it will be much easier and quicker...

bugeye
01-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Our '04 XC70 has had 4 drain/fills totaling 14 quarts until the fluid was fully red. Each drain/fill was separated by 1000+ miles. Each drain the magnetic drain plug had some deposits.