PDA

View Full Version : Rain Squeel

Nightair
12-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I have had this aweful noise happening on my 2006 XC70 since I bought it a year ago, when it has been slushy here recently a nasty high pitch squeel would come from the bottom passenger side of the car and would disappear when more throttle was given. I never had this on my 2004. I did some searching and found this "Rain Squeel" tag on the forums. Yesterday I took it to my local shop and their tech put it on the hoist with engine at idle and sprayed the exhaust system with water while another tech carefully ran the engine in drive. They actually noticed the resonator torquing and touching the driveshaft. The water wasn't expanding the resonator such as others had assumed, but the Catalyitic Converter was twisting and along with it the Resonator further back. The flexible exhaust off of the turbo was allowing this to happen.
The problem has been resolved with some KISS. The driveshaft safety loop was removed and in its place two isolator blocks screwed in and the hangars welded to the exhaust.
Yes there is Volvo bulletins on this issue but this a simpler.

Nightair
12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Here are some photos of pre and post

kutcht1
12-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Nice fix and information. So were those additional hangers welded on to make the distance between the drive shaft and exhaust away from each other?
TomK

Nightair
12-17-2014, 10:45 PM
The hangars were welded on to help prevent the twisting and to allow adequate space. It is similar concept to a cookie tray loaded to one side or with a bunch of cookies missing in one corner, it bends. I was surprised as I had expected the rubbing to have been caused by the expansion of the resonator.

vtl
12-18-2014, 05:44 AM
I'm afraid you'll be re-welding it every other year...

Nightair
12-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Welding is ok, I have a good welder and my local shop is cheap. Lol, besides that I want to do an ARD tune next spring and I may look at exhaust mods.