PDA

View Full Version : "Engine System Service Required / How test for brake pedal position sensor issues?

deleted
12-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I had the "Engine System Service Required" message come one today with a yellow triangle on the dash. The only OBD-2 code I got off of it was p0537 which seems to be http://engine-codes.com/p0573.html "P0573 - Cruise Control/Brake Switch A Circuit High"

I have read that the Engine Service Required message often relates to brake position sensor issues. I believe that when I try the Cruise Control, it usually shuts off right away. (Not sure if I did it right because it worked once or twice but I think this is the case) The car coasts great but there seem to be multiple things suggesting some issue affecting the cruise control and it being a brake sensor issue. (I don't drive with two feet, so cruise control should work but seems not to, as if I touched the brake)

Anyone know what the procedure might be to check the sensor?

Also, I don't want to rule out other things that could be causing the code and I appreciate any guesses as to what it might be and especially suggestions on how to get Volvo-specific codes read without paying a lot.

goldxc70
04-29-2015, 02:32 PM
I had the "Engine System Service Required" message come one today with a yellow triangle on the dash. The only OBD-2 code I got off of it was p0537 which seems to be http://engine-codes.com/p0573.html "P0573 - Cruise Control/Brake Switch A Circuit High"

I have read that the Engine Service Required message often relates to brake position sensor issues. I believe that when I try the Cruise Control, it usually shuts off right away. (Not sure if I did it right because it worked once or twice but I think this is the case) The car coasts great but there seem to be multiple things suggesting some issue affecting the cruise control and it being a brake sensor issue. (I don't drive with two feet, so cruise control should work but seems not to, as if I touched the brake)

Anyone know what the procedure might be to check the sensor?

Also, I don't want to rule out other things that could be causing the code and I appreciate any guesses as to what it might be and especially suggestions on how to get Volvo-specific codes read without paying a lot.

This sensor seems to have a history and there are threads where people describe taking the existing one apart and rebuilding it. Another (Volvo tech) tip I saw was to remove the connector, turn the sensor a quarter of a turn and reconnect. I have tried to do this on my MY04 but could move the sensor at all. It may be specific to certain models.