PDA

View Full Version : All Wheel Drive

Worthbrown
11-19-2014, 12:09 PM
I just got a 2002 Volvo V70 XC. I've read some of the typical problems with these cars so watching for those. I was told the AWD was working when I bought it, and didn't really have a way to test it. We just got some snow and the AWD didn't seem to work. Should there be a warning sign or something that pops up that says it isn't working? I'm wondering if the previous owner had a problem and deactivated it (if that is possible).
Thanks in advance for any help

JRL
11-19-2014, 01:19 PM
TONS of very easy ways you could have tested it before you bought it and can do now.
Just brake torque a launch
Find a patch of water either today if you live in a non frozen area or wait until next week when there will be a huge warm up and there will be a lot of water on the roads.
Anyhow, foot brake on, car in drive, rev it up to near the stall point and ler 'er rip.
If the AWD is working it should just go forward. If it's not, you should get some hefty torque steer, front wheels spinning for lack of grip, and the steering wheel wanting to snap out of your hands.

If it's bad one of three things, 1: a bad propshaft bearing and it was removed. 2: A bad bevel gear (and the propshaft was removed to cure any noises)
3: A bad Viscous Coupling (and etc!)

#1 and #2 are the most common, with #1 being the easiest and the cheapest to fix

billr99
11-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Get all four wheels in the air (like on four jack stands), start the car and let it idle, put it in gear and see if all four wheels go around. Way less abusive to the system than trying to break the tires loose on a slick surface. If you try that and catch some grip, you could break something major especially if the car has some miles on it.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
11-19-2014, 03:03 PM
As stated there are several tests. The one I posted is a quickee and works when you go to buy a car, it's pretty foolproof (as are the others)

Worthbrown
02-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Well, the reason the AWD was not working was the drive shaft to the rear wheels had been removed. I bought the car from a small used car dealer and even though I bought the car "as-is", I convinced him to get the AWD working again. He put a drive shaft in and I was fully expecting it to still not work. Everything seems to be working fine and the only problem was the missing drive shaft. I just can't figure out why it was removed in the first place. Why would this have been taken out if the bevel gear and everything else works fine?

Antherzoll
02-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Fuel economy?

JRL
02-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Because the bearings go bad and it's EXPENSIVE

Worthbrown
02-13-2015, 05:08 PM
I thought maybe fuel mileage, but it doesn't seem much worse, if any since shaft put back in.
As far as bearings, did the shaft he put in have the bearings that go bad already in it? It was obviously a used drive shaft. Where are the bearings located?

billr99
02-13-2015, 05:34 PM
I thought maybe fuel mileage, but it doesn't seem much worse, if any since shaft put back in.
As far as bearings, did the shaft he put in have the bearings that go bad already in it? It was obviously a used drive shaft. Where are the bearings located?

You have a centre-support bearing and two CV-type joints on either end. In some cases, the front CV-type joint gets its grease cooked due to its proximity to the exhaust header and at the crazy cost of one of those, some people might just pull the shaft rather than screw with it. Especially if they really had no need for the AWD.

Cheers,

Bill

Worthbrown
02-14-2015, 05:29 AM
That makes sense. Thanks

wagonista
02-14-2015, 07:11 AM
Hi folks-We are getting hammered with snow up here. 3 blizzards in 3 days...the XC is a joy to drive in this weather ! But I do find the spin control limits the ability to " throttle out" of deep snow or power up a steep hill. When the Spin Control is turned off the front wheels seem to spin for a second and then the rear wheels kick in with a bit of "thunk" and off we go. My last AWD wagon did not do this but was equally as good in the snow albeit without the ground clearance. Am I in trouble here?

blansing
02-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Hi,
New tome is a 2007 XC.
I have the problem as is indicated. Seems like i have to be into power for awd to engage. I seem to remember that the remedy was to mark shaft at both ends and remove and relubricate front bearing.
This 07 I bought had less than 50K on it.

Antherzoll
02-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Hi,
New tome is a 2007 XC.
I have the problem as is indicated. Seems like i have to be into power for awd to engage. I seem to remember that the remedy was to mark shaft at both ends and remove and relubricate front bearing.
This 07 I bought had less than 50K on it.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2007/2007_XC70/07xc70_06.htm#pg139

Other V70 models
- Turn the thumb-wheel (1) on the left-side steering wheel lever until the STC/DSTC menu is displayed.
- Hold down the RESET button (2) to toggle between STC/DSTC SPIN CONTROL ON or OFF.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2007/2007_XC70/images/pg139b.jpg
NOTE:

The message STC/DSTC SPIN CONTROL OFF indicates that the stability system's spin control function has temporarily been switched off.
The stability control indicator light will illuminate http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2007/2007_XC70/images/pg139c.jpg and remain on until spin control has been reactivated.
STC/DSTC ON indicates that all system functions are active1.
The spin control function is automatically enabled each time the engine is started.

Antherzoll
02-14-2015, 07:16 PM
When the Spin Control is turned off the front wheels seem to spin for a second and then the rear wheels kick in with a bit of "thunk" and off we go.

What year?

wagonista
02-15-2015, 05:47 AM
Mine is 2007 built in Sweden..are they all built in Sweden? I know there used to be a plant near me in Halifax , Nova Scotia.

JRL
02-15-2015, 06:25 AM
Actually I think they're built in Ghent, Belgium

The Landshark
02-15-2015, 08:28 AM
According to vida mine was built in Torslanda, Sweden

wagonista
02-16-2015, 08:35 AM
So whats the thunk noise all about? As I said, the AWD system works but there's a bit of a delay and then it kicks in .No message other than DTSC disabled and the indicator light for same..