PDA

View Full Version : do the heated mirrors in your car operate well?

sanfelice
11-17-2014, 02:12 PM
In my '04 I never get a mirror free of rain, just a slightly better than completely covered mirror. I have changed out both mirrors, one with a new one and one with a good used version. Yes, both mirrors are seeing 12v and both tested good for continuity. In my 960 and V70 cars, the mirrors defrost within minutes and stay clear for the time the switch is activated. This is frustrating, and I'm wondering if it is just the design of the mirrors or something faulty in my circuit.

vtl
11-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Can you measure resistance of heating element? If the R is too high or contacts are oxidized, it will be producing less heat than it was designed for.

Mirror heaters in my XC70 are weaker than in V70, but they are also twice bigger or so. Sometimes it is barely enough to melt down freezing salty slush we have here in winters in MA.

billr99
11-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Mine didn't work real well even to just remove morning dew then they quit working all together. I then replaced the mirror glass themselves with some that I bought off a UK site on eBay. Must have a different resistance or something because they work great. Even better than the ones I had on my 850R, which at the time I thought worked well, and way better than the XC's ever did.

Cheers,

Bill