PDA

View Full Version : Is my rear end sagging?

rocketpack
11-10-2014, 01:24 PM

Is my rear end sagging? It seems to be a little... also, the front end dips when braking and rises a little under acceleration. The car doesn't float terribly over bumps, but the suspension does seem soft.

109,000 miles on this 2000 V70XC...

What should I inspect in my suspension and consider replacing?

Will replacing shocks and struts fix the sag?

Thanks!

JRL
11-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Yeah, it's a bit down for an XC if that is on level ground
My guess is the already soft springs have given out.
Has this XC been USED, I mean loaded up many times in its life?

It looks like a nice one so time for new springs and Nivomats if you plan on keeping it and if you have the money also do the front end and you'll have a "new" XC!

These should not "dip" at all

rocketpack
11-11-2014, 06:37 PM
The XC is new to me... I'm guessing it towed something or was weighed down as you suggest. It was a great find at a great price, so I plan to keep it a while and will invest a little to keep it spot on.

New springs and Nivomats are on my to-do list! Thanks for your thoughts, JRL.

gstallons
11-13-2014, 02:07 AM
Springs will correct sagging ( if the vehicle is sagging ) . Struts , shocks , etc. will correct bouncing , etc...

JRL
11-13-2014, 07:32 AM
You need both on an XC
The NIVOMATS actually hold the car up

BEJinFBK
11-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Springs will correct sagging ( if the vehicle is sagging ) . Struts , shocks , etc. will correct bouncing , etc...

This is not a conventional suspension system. All P80 XC's are equipped with Nivomat self-leveling shocks:
http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/united_states/sachs_us/products_sachs_us/shock_absorbers_sachs_us/nivomat_folder_us/nivomat_us.html

Sagging in these cars is often the result of worn or damaged Nivomats.

JRL
11-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Which in turn wipe out the already soft rear springs

methos
11-16-2014, 04:39 PM
I replaced the Nivomat's a year and a half ago at 137K miles, because the right one started leaking. I didn't notice a sag although replacing them may have raised it an inch or two. I didn't know about the soft springs. Right now, the car looks fine, the tires are wearing evenly and we don't load it up so hopefully the springs will last. Just a note on Nivomat instillation: The access hole is small and the tolerence is very close. I was frustrated at first taking the old ones out until I just forced it and scraped off some of the dirt. I was sure they sent me the wrong new ones because it was such a close fit but, they were the right ones and it all worked out great in the end!!!

clarcks
03-31-2015, 09:26 PM
small and the tolerence is very close. I was frustrated at first taking the old ones out until I just forced it and scraped off some of the dirt. I was sure they sent me the wrong new ones because it was such a close fit but, they were the right ones and it all worked out great in the end!!!