PDA

View Full Version : Worth It?

Esparatazza
11-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi, I have been looking at getting a used XC70 for almost a year, as I had a baby on the way and love a lot about the car. We now have the baby and I have been presented with the opportunity to own a 2001 XC70 with 173,000 miles on it, and in excellent condition physically, for $2000 USD.

It has minor, random issues as with any 13-year-old car, needs new tires, but the exterior is pristine and the interior is superior. An airbag needs service light is on, and the maintenance light is also on. A Carfax report showed regular maintenance through at least 2012, and that at 143,000 miles it had the following repairs:

Rear brake pads replaced
Brake pads replaced
Lower control arm bushings replaced
Tie rod end(s) replaced
Sway bar links replaced
Front brake pads replaced
A/C refrigerant recharged
Transmission fluid flushed
Control arm bushing(s) replaced
Light bulb(s) replaced
Thermostat replaced
Four wheel alignment performed
Hood shocks replaced
Exterior lights checked
Transmission checked

That is the last time any repairs are listed, besides regular maintenance for the last couple years. I would love to believe that I could get 20-30k miles out of this car over the next two years, but the transmission history of the 2001s scare me. I test drove it and it didn't miss any shifts, but there was a slight vibration, which could have also been from the tires.

As you are the foremost experts on what I believe is an awesome car, do you think this deal too good to pass up, or am I most likely in for trouble if I go through with it?

kutcht1
11-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Welcome! If I was you it would be worth it to get a pre-purchase inspection by somebody very familiar with the Volvo and their issues. It would only be a few hundred dollars if that and could save you huge headaches. Also, do you plan on doing any of the work on the car yourself? These cars do however can go many thousands of miles but they do need a bit of attention at times. Being that the airbag light is on I would have that sorted out. Since the car looks to be in great shape usually means that it has been maintained properly. Other members will be along shortly to also give you their opinions to further help out. They are fantastic vehicles.
TomK

pelagikos
11-04-2014, 09:52 AM
I'd say it is a crap-shoot. If you luck out, it just may run OK for another year or two, if you don't, then you are buying an expensive hobby (time AND money).

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. But myself, being a risk-averse person in general aspects of life, I would not be looking at a chance of picking up a new pricey hobby with a new baby on board.
If money is tight, and one is not in position to buy a lower mileage vehicle, it would seem to me that getting a more basic vehicle with much lower maintenance requirements would be a much more prudent move...

My point being, you should fully realize what you might be getting yourself into and whether it suits your situation and personality. As long as you do, it's fine.

hoonk
11-04-2014, 10:03 AM
The opportunity to own - am I most likely in for trouble if I go through with it?

01-02 XC70s are known for their high failure rate of various (expensive) components.

Items I'd expect to be worn or needing replacement @ 150 to 200k miles
Transmission, brake booster, Ac compressor, shocks, struts, alternator, cooling system (radiator, heater hoses, coolant bottle), AWD problems -
The transmission is the most expensive (up to $5500) and you might not notice the shift problems if you are not familiar with the car or do not drive it long enough for the shift problems to crop up.

Go to Edmunds.com and appraise a 01 xc70 in clean condition with 175000 miles - they value the car less the $2000.
Kbb.com thinks more highly of that car.

Why is the current owner not marketing the car with new tires and the Air bag light turned off? (big red flag):confused:

IMHO the only opportunity you are presented with here is the chance to be able to spend more than you ever wanted to fixing an 01 xc70

Antherzoll
11-04-2014, 10:26 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/

.Key Maintenance Areas for First Time Owners
First, congratulations on purchasing your car! 2001-2007 5 cylinder P2 chassis Volvos (5 cyl s80, V70, XC70, S60, 5 cyl XC90) is likely 100k+ miles now. As with all European cars at around 100k miles. There is a bit of work to address various weak points on the car. This car is no exception. So here is a quick list to check the health of the new to you Volvo.
1. First, read up on a quick few odd things on this car that you aren't likely familiar with from other cars. Know these few things to prevent major damage to this car. Read here.*
2. PCV
PCV system on this car clogs earlier than many other cars. It will be likely clogged between 50-100k miles. When clogged, the engine will have positive pressure inside that will push oil out of seals and seams resulting list of chain reaction repairs. The PCV system is a complex design and not a simple valve change. See here for more details.
*1. Transmission
Another weak point on a used P2 Volvo is the transmission. Mainly is it because Volvo (and most European car makers) try to market life time no transmission service required. This is a huge mistake and the main reason so many transmissions have problems at past 100k miles. First thing to make sure is it has new ATF within last 30k miles. Also check the lower transmission torque mount bushing. it is likely broken. See here and here.
*4. Timing belt and mechanical tensioner and rollers
*These are interference engines and timing belt is due at 105k miles. The failure points are actually the rollers that seize when their grease leaks out and causing the belt to break. Definitely get this done if you are at or past this mileage. Read here.
5. Check Angle Gear (AG) Fluid level
Angle gear is what turns the transmission's output (parallel to the front wheel drive shafts) 90 degrees to send the power to the back wheels. Fairly common leaks here and the oil capacity is small. AG gear will be destroyed if all the oll leaks out. Read here.
6. 2001s (and I think 2002 non turbos) have a throttle body sensor that wears out between 60-150k miles depending on driving pattern. Failed sensor can leave you stranded. Read here.*
Ok, this list ought to get you down the road with good initial health check and preventive maintenance. There are other things to note and check but this is probably the main starting point to address the weak points on the engine, transmission and electronics. Again, congrats on the new to you car and many happy miles. If you take care of this car, it will take care of you. And vice versa :)

Esparatazza
11-04-2014, 12:27 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/

Ha, genius! Thank you, all.

I've seriously been in love with the XC70 for a year or two now--I just think it's a sharp looking car and one that suits the family purpose. The 2001 I saw is being sold by a rinky-dink dealer that has never sold a Volvo before--it was listed months ago at $4999 and they're now just trying to unload it at $1999.

One of the descriptions I kept coming across in reviews for the XC70 was "tank," a vehicle which ironically also requires a lot of upkeep. One of the reviews on Edmunds I saw was actually titled "Looks great on paper," and I guess it's true of the 2001. I didn't plan on doing a lot of work on it myself, so your comments are certainly very helpful and time/cost-saving.

I've had a 1999 Honda Civic DX 5-speed forever, and while I love the car and have put 200,000 miles on it (with no end in sight), it's just not baby-appropriate. I do plan on owning an XC70 or XC90 in the near future, but perhaps I'll let this one pass.

And, how enthusiastic and helpful everyone is in this forum is another great reason to become an XC owner! Thanks again!

JRL
11-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Simple answer...
NO!

Steve F
11-04-2014, 10:32 PM
I bought an '01 in 2010 with about the same mileage and now have 220,000 miles on it. At the time I wasn't aware of the transmission issues but haven't had problems with mine. I've had to do some repairs and maintenance but overall I've been happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I do my own work, I don't think it would have been economical to pay for the repairs.

Forkster
11-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Espartatazza - the most expensive Volvo you will ever own is one purchased for cheap. If you're looking for a P2 XC70, then I recommend years 03-07, and in particular, 05-07 are the best.

I would recommend spending at last $4-7k on a perfectly maintained XC70, with recent struts and springs, PCV done, new timing belt, control arms, tie-rod ends, and mounts in good shape. Reason being, that unless you're doing the work yourself, it would be very expensive to own a XC70, especially with a new family on the way.

If you are determined however, check in with JRL as he sells used Volvos and is located in Devon PA.

Ed