PDA

View Full Version : "01 V70XC cruise control stopped working suddenly, other issues

Nashv70
11-03-2014, 10:01 PM
As I was driving the other day after having the exhaust manifold gasket replaced, my cruise control all of the sudden stopped working. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do myself to fix this?
Also, my driver door module will not roll down the other windows or lock the doors. The passenger door lock will unlock and lock the other doors though. I've tried the lock and unlock with the remote...doesn't work. I read on another thread about disconnecting the battery and touching the negative and positive cables together? Exactly how does this work and how long do you do it?

Nashv70
11-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Anyone?

Garvan
11-10-2014, 10:19 AM
As I was driving the other day after having the exhaust manifold gasket replaced, my cruise control all of the sudden stopped working. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do myself to fix this?
Also, my driver door module will not roll down the other windows or lock the doors. The passenger door lock will unlock and lock the other doors though. I've tried the lock and unlock with the remote...doesn't work. I read on another thread about disconnecting the battery and touching the negative and positive cables together? Exactly how does this work and how long do you do it?

I'm sure you have got this sorted by now but.....

I had cruise control issues (as well as engine cut outs) on my 01 xc and it ended up being an ETM problem.

As for touching a positive and negative battery cable together (I'm not a mechanic) don't do it. I can only see that ending in tears!

G

Nashv70
11-10-2014, 08:13 PM
No I have not figured this out yet. I've seen several posts that say to touch the positive and negative terminals together to reset the car's electronics. I'll do some more looking around under the dash tomorrow. I don't have any drivability or idling issues so I don't think anything is wrong with the ETM. Most of the driving issues I had were resolved when the exhaust manifold gasket was replaced. Shortly after driving it the next day the cruise control just stopped working all of the sudden.

Astro14
11-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Sounds more like CEM than anything....

Nashv70
11-11-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't know what CEM is?

kutcht1
11-11-2014, 10:09 AM
CEM - Central Electronic Module = Your vehicle has a network of on-board computers, and the CEM is the main computer for that network.
TomK

spammy
11-11-2014, 02:34 PM

I had very similar symptoms occur several years ago with my '03 XC70. After driving for a few hours, steering column controls for cruise and radio stopped working. We got an indie Volvo shop on the phone and the guy had me run through a procedure that I can't completely remember now, but it worked. It was something like turn the car off, turn key to II position, pull a fuse (can't remember which one) then put the fuse back in. Not sure if the key was supposed to be switched off or not. I'll root around at home tonight to see if I wrote it down somewhere. Anyone else heard of this?

kutcht1
11-11-2014, 04:04 PM
All I can say is, only on a Volvo. There is nothing that seems to be normal on these cars.
TomK

Nashv70
11-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Spammy if you can find it please share it. I've tried the lock/unlock stuff...didn't work. This has to be something simple. I started having issues when my battery died a few months ago. Replaced the battery and now the driver door module only operates the driver side functions. I can't roll the other windows down or lock/unlock the other doors whereas I could before. The driver door module will lock/unlock all the doors though...weird. Can somebody explain how touching the positive/negative battery cables works? I haven't done it yet and don't want to damage anything.

Astro14
11-15-2014, 06:34 PM
If you replaced the battery, then it's possible that the modules weren't initialized properly.

Turn the car off. Let it sit for 5 minutes with the key off. Disconnect the battery. Let it sit for another 10 minutes. Turn the key to position 2. Reconnect the battery. Car will reboot.

This is the way to do it, just putting battery in and reconnecting might not allow for proper reboot of modules.

Xheart
11-16-2014, 06:37 AM
A fault/error in brake pedal sensor would disengage cruise control.

vtl
11-16-2014, 07:22 AM
This is the way to do it, just putting battery in and reconnecting might not allow for proper reboot of modules.
Is this for reset? I think it's for redistributing power spike across many modules to avoid frying a few of those, which always stay on, even without key.

spammy
11-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Nashv70,

### Disclaimer!!!!! ###
This re-enabled the steering wheel controls for radio and cruise on a 2003 XC70. I have no idea if anything else was affected. At least in the 5 or so years since I performed this procedure, nothing bad has seemed to have happened.
### End disclaimer ###

This is specific to my 2003 XC70:
1. Starting with engine and key off, turn key to position II
2. Pull passenger compartment (the one next to the driver side door) fuse #23
3. Wait 10 seconds
4. Reinsert fuse
5. Turn key off

That fuse is responsible for, among other things, the steering wheel controls.

Good luck!

Nashv70
11-18-2014, 08:20 PM
I was able to get the cruise control working by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. Thanks for all your input. I still have no control of the door locks or windows from the driver door module. I'm guessing the module may have a connection issue...it works the driver window and side mirror though. One concern I have though...while I was driving with cruise on I got the dreaded engine system service urgent message....drove to the auto parts store to get codes read and nothing. The message went away.....anybody have an idea what that means?

JRL
11-18-2014, 09:47 PM
That resets the ECU

Astro14
11-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Parts store can only read OBD 2 codes, not Volvo proprietary codes.

If you've got a CANBUS or module problem, they can't see it.

And you sound like you've got a CANBUS or module problem as I said below. The dealer, or someone with a VIDA/DICE set up can diagnose this for you.