PDA

View Full Version : Coil packs keep failing. Installed 3, last 2 now gone.

pd154
10-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Kind of an odd situation. After having rebuilt head installed because 2001 V70XC overheated.(head gasket), I drove a few miles and blew #2 coil. Replaced with Bosch unit @ $106 inc tx, after pulling all plugs out and checking spark in other cylinders and swapping coils to confirm it was not wiring. Drove fine for about 8 miles and then same issue with #1 coil. Replaced it after finding a cheaper supplier, ( $58 inc Tx for Chinese unit) , again ran fine for 5 or 6 miles and #3 blown. Replaced again, ran good, then blew #5 and in the same drive blew #4 also. WTF! They were all original OEM and had about 95,000 miles on it. They were the same units that had been in it during the overheating, but they show no physical issues such as some on this site have mentioned, in fact they looked in very good shape. Spark plugs not new, but spark well and have about 8,000 miles on them ( Volvo OEM).
Should mention I was about to replace the flame trap as it is clogged and I have SRS warning as I have a left front crash sensor gone bad

Anybody have any thoughts?

pd154
10-25-2014, 10:05 AM
An Update; I replaced those last 2 ignition coil packs, so all 5 now replaced, has run well for about 40 miles, so I am hopeful that somehow they just all were damaged by the overheating. Just seems very strange that all coil packs blow separately within 1/2 hour of operating. The Vegas odds on that I would think would be astronomical.

Forkster
10-27-2014, 09:08 AM
I purchased a used set of coils for that same reason. ALSO - check your plugs - if you have older plugs or plugs that need replacing it CAN hurt your coil packs.

kutcht1
10-27-2014, 09:27 AM
I am sure after having the head rebuilt he installed new plugs. That is an odd one, did you run quickly to the convenience store and buy a lottery ticket!
Good thought about grabbing a used set of coils in case if they cost that much new.
TomK

vtl
10-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Why do you think you have bad coils? All 5...