PDA

View Full Version : What's the main reason you bought an xc70?

gibbons
11-20-2003, 10:05 PM
OK, you could have bought a Subaru for 40% less or an Allroad for 20% more.  They, too, carry five passengers, have all wheel drive, have racks on top, and can go at least 75mph.  In other words, all three cars provide pretty darn good transportation.  But they are all different.  What was it about the XC that captured your money?

Still looking for what makes Volvo owners tick, just in case I become one  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Raynald
11-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Gibbons, the "pollster" ! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif You're not a Volvo spy, aren't you? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Well, since there is no "all of the above" nor "non of the above", I'll simply say that I fell in love http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blush.gif

VerVolvo
11-21-2003, 06:20 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gibbons @ Nov. 21 2003,06:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They, too, carry five passengers,[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yes, but unlike the XC70, they cannot go up to 7, which was a criteria my wife insisted on.

Chipshot
11-21-2003, 06:53 AM
I would have happily selected several answers. &nbsp;Perhaps for some it&#39;s a two part question: &nbsp;1) Why a Volvo? and 2) Why an XC70? &nbsp;To be truthful, I&#39;m not sure I would have gotten mine had there not been a special deal offered.

budrichard
11-21-2003, 07:08 AM
Even though I voted for safety, that is a simplistic reason to purchase a vehicle. We are trying to help you make an informed decision rather a &#39;passionate&#39; decision.
As you can see we have had experience with Volvo since 1987 and have come to understand Swedish philosophy a little. Swedes beside safety, want longevity in their prodcuts. Volvo&#39;s supply that or used to supply that.
Besides the safety features which are useful for not only everyday driving but the XC excells in snow/ice.
Along with the cargo capacity, the ground clearance is useful for me in hunting, kayaking/canoeing or going anyplace I want to go. the XC wagons(we have two) have replaced my Jeep exclusively.
Our XC&#39;s literraly goe from the hunting fields on a Saturday to the Lyric Opera in Chicago on a Sunday. I feel I am safer on Saturday than a Sunday&#33;
MY advise for you is to obtain each of the three vehicles for a weekend and drive/live with them. Dealerships will let you do that if you are upfront with them and let them know what you are doing and that after that trial, you will call each and render your decision.
I haven&#39;t driven the Sub but only sat in one(my hunting buddy&#39;s wife&#39;s) and compared it side by side with XC and it simply is too small. My buddy likes the XC much better.
The All Road is again too small and is really a performance small wagon(I followed one up to 90mph on the express lanes of the Edens in Chicago&#33http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif The mileage is poor.
Cost is certainly a factor. If the predominat factor, then the choice is obvious, the Sub.
If safety/capacity is a factor, the Volvo.
If performance, the All Road hands down.
-Dick

gibbons
11-21-2003, 07:09 AM
Yeah, I am hitting your site hard, I guess. I have lots of questions cuz this is a good chunk of money. Sorry&#33; Tell me when I have overstepped my bounds, and I will stop bombing you with potential-owner questions.

By the way, back to the reason we don&#39;t have one now. Remember, the dealer jacked the agreed upon price up &#036;1,000 from Friday, October 31 to Monday November 2 (closed Sunday). We were dealing with the death of my wife&#39;s mom, who died Thursday night. I went in on Monday, and he point-blank said, &quot;We aren&#39;t as motivated to sell now.&quot;

Notice anything funny with the dates? Yup, they were trying to move one more before the end of the month. If you are going to jack up the price a couple of days later, that&#39;s the type of thing you tell the customer in advance.

So, with the dealer incentive going up &#036;500, they were actually going for &#036;1500 more. We were talking cash deal, and I believe they were thinking that we just had to have the car. Guess what? We can live without it.

And finally, this isn&#39;t about buying a Subaru&#33; We already have a Subaru, and will keep it, too. This is about buying an XC on a whim just because it is different. Our F-250 Supercab 4x4 will carry anything we need carried. The XC is kinda zippy, but not as zippy as our 500hp Chevelle. And frankly, I think the our sacrificial Infiniti I30 is nicer driving and more luxurious than an XC. But it certainly isn&#39;t as entertaining as an XC, and that&#39;s what intrigues us.

littlewaywelt
11-21-2003, 07:33 AM
Volvo&#39;s have a reputation of running forever and being really safe. &nbsp;That&#39;s what sold us. &nbsp;We needed awd &amp; more room than a sedan could offer and at the time the XC was the only Volvo wagon that was offered with awd. &nbsp;We didn&#39;t consider any other vehicles at all. &nbsp;Safety is paramount as well and there&#39;s plenty of safety in this car.

Unfortunately, I don&#39;t think our 01 xc will last as long as any other cars we&#39;ve owned, based on it&#39;s seemingly poor build quality. &nbsp;Due to Volvo&#39;s lack of concern about our car and refusal to fix a common problem because they can&#39;t replicate it, our next wagon will be a Saab 9-5, even if they aren&#39;t offering awd.

NeuDaddi
11-21-2003, 07:57 AM
I actually detailed all of the reasons my wife and I ended up buying an XC70 in an earlier post, but I can boil it down. First and foremost, it was all about safety. Beyond that, the Subaru just wasn&#39;t comfortable enough for us. So, once we sat in a Volvo, the decision was made.

toma nova
11-21-2003, 10:09 AM
I didn&#39;t vote because it was a combination of several things that led us to the XC.

My wife fell in love with a 2000 XC: test drive, talk about financing, etc. She then graciously put me through grad school, so her reward was easy: a 2002&#33;

The things that steered us to Volvo: safety, import (vs. domestic) quality, Swedish style (quirkiness), reputation for a million miles. The XC: seating for seven, AWD, turbo performance, more cargo room than a sedan.

She nixed a minivan, we both nixed an SUV as we have a K1500 for hauling and towing.

After a year with the XC, I don&#39;t see how we can ever not own a Volvo wagon. Maybe after we give the XC to my daughter to drive (she&#39;s five now http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/hehe.gif ), we&#39;ll move somewhere with no snow and pick up a V70R, or whatever the performance wagon is then&#33;

Gibbons, good luck with the purchase. BTW, anyone can live without an XC, but most of us don&#39;t want to&#33;

Tom

hrd_rok
11-21-2003, 11:26 AM
my reason wasn&#39;t there either

because now i don&#39;t have to shovel my driveway when it snows&#33;

polvo
11-21-2003, 01:29 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gibbons @ Nov. 21 2003,06:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We already have a Subaru, and will keep it, too. Our F-250 Supercab 4x4 will carry anything we need carried. The XC is kinda zippy, but not as zippy as our 500hp Chevelle. And frankly, I think the our sacrificial Infiniti I30 is nicer driving and more luxurious than an XC. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
forgive me if i m wrong, but i count 4 cars already... sounds like you really need # 5 &nbsp; http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/lookaround.gif

polvo

XCMark
11-21-2003, 01:30 PM
First and foremost was safety. Second, longevity. I want this car forever and plan on taking care of it as much as I want it to take care of my wife, upcoming baby and me.

All the choices were &#39;positive&#39; aspects of the car and accurate (don&#39;t most polls have an opposite aspect included for balance?).

I actually voted for &#39;appearance&#39; because it is so unique, it&#39;s tough and rugged looking for my tastes, and has the clearance of the SUV I came to detest. I voted &#39;appearance&#39; because of all other cars that can claim some parts of each reason listed, IMO the appearance is the one intangible that clearly completes the entire package.

Good polling, BTW, Gibbons. I find myself curious as well and I&#39;m finding that my line of thinking is very well along the lines of those who are owners already.

Be aware, you can overanalyse something so much as to talk yourself out of something that might otherwise be perfect for you. By all means stick to your principles in the price you were after, but don&#39;t let a slimy salesguy deter you from what, again IMO, is truly a wonderful car. Can you try another dealer, explain how you were treated, and maybe a salesman with, (we can hope) compassion, and a desire for your honest business (and referals) might treat you better?

Good luck&#33;

Respectfully,
Mark

gibbons
11-21-2003, 05:11 PM
I can&#39;t help it, I&#39;m a mechanical engineer and investigate things to death. &nbsp;Also, the closest other dealer is 450 miles away. I am kinda locked in.

Chipshot
11-21-2003, 05:26 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (polvo @ Nov. 21 2003,15:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">forgive me if i m wrong, but i count 4 cars already... sounds like you really need # 5 http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/lookaround.gif

polvo[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What&#39;s wrong with that? &nbsp;We have three and are thinking of getting a fourth (a Miata). &nbsp;Everyone should do their part to help the world&#39;s economy&#33; &nbsp; http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sharon
11-21-2003, 09:48 PM
I fell in love with the Volvo Station wagon when a friend of mine had a Green 4banger, 5 speed 198? can&#39;t remember the model.

We fit 5 bikes in the back.
It went as far up a snow covered logging road as the PU with the snowmobiles.
It could go anywhere, smash through anything&#33;
It went until it died on the I-5 on our way to Mt. St. Helens to ride. That was ONLY because my friend sold it to another guy who... didn&#39;t look at the oil level for about 2 years so it kinda ran out...

After the Ford Fairmont, Toyota 4X4 PU, Volkswagon Fox, Subaru Legacy Wagon the opportunity for the Volvo came up&#33;

We wanted a car, a station wagon to fit all our crap into
but NOT an SUV or minivan.

We also looked at the Subaru Outlook and Audi All Road. We choose the Volvo because;
1. I wanted it ( i&#39;m the wife... )
2. Size - we camp a lot and mountain bike so the rear space is great&#33;
3. Safety
4. the &#39;How did you get that car HERE? &#39; factor.

Unlike Bob&#39;s old green Volvo, this one is a bit more luxury, but oh well, it works&#33; and looks great too&#33;

gary
11-22-2003, 05:07 AM
One of the big reasons we bought our XC70 was, quite frankly, the discounted price that Volvo gives to its military customers (it&#39;s even a tad bit cheaper than OSD I believe).
This is my first Volvo and I have become a convert. It has simply been an absolute pleasure to own and drive (although I&#39;m not the primary driver, my wife is -- I am always looking for excuses to drive her car).

We needed a vehicle to replace our 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan (excellent vehicle but it was starting to nickle and dime me to death... and I was scared it would literally break down while driving on the autobahn, so it was time to start looking at new vehicles... ) I had seen a few XC70&#39;s driving around the base where I am stationed and I had always said to myself &quot;that&#39;s a great looking car&quot;, however, I had planned on replacing the van with a Jeep Grand Cherokee (I had a 1993 Grand Cherokee which I sold before coming over to Germany and had a very pleasant ownership experience with it) When I couldn&#39;t get the Army &amp; Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) car dealership to work with me on a decent deal, we went to the Volvo military sales dealership and looked at the XC70, test drove it, and placed an order for one, all in about two days. I have to be honest though and say that I had been living in the States, I don&#39;t think that buying a Volvo would have even been considered. I&#39;m just glad that I was here in Germany

Our other car here is a 2000 BMW 323i (US Specs). That&#39;s been fun to drive too, but I will be selling it before we leave for the UK next summer (too cost prohibitive to get it certified for the UK roads... it&#39;s a long story...sigh ). My plan is to buy a used &#39;hoopdie&#39; for me while we are in the UK and then prior to leaving there in 2007, order another XC70 to take back to the States with us. We too, will then be a family with two XC70s.

Best of luck in your decision, whatever you decide.

budrichard
11-22-2003, 08:01 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gibbons @ Nov. 21 2003,16:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can&#39;t help it, I&#39;m a mechanical engineer and investigate things to death. Also, the closest other dealer is 450 miles away. I am kinda locked in.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I &nbsp;share your investigative philosophy as I am a Nuclear Engineer. Where I have a difficult area understanding your decision making process is when you say that you want the XC because it is different. As you say, this is a chunk of change. For me, the decision was easy, there simply is NO other vehicle in the world that provides the features and size that the XC does(low roof height eliminates ALL SUV&#39;s).
I and the other members &nbsp;certainly want to hlep you make a decision and your questions are welcomed but don&#39;t mind if I question how you reach your conclusions. Most vehicle purchases are either spur of the moment or based on passion which leads to dissatisfaction down the road(pun&#33http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif. 450 miles is quite a way for a dealership and I would find another marque that was closer to me.-Dick

geo
11-25-2003, 04:16 AM
Seat height, you sit on it, not get down into it, or climb up into it. This is for she who has spent too many years on horseback and ails from it. Diesel automatic (in European spec). &nbsp;Ability to tow the trailer.
The other reasons were incidental.
other choices to meet the above, Grand Cherokee.

Chipshot
11-25-2003, 06:47 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gary @ Nov. 22 2003,07:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have to be honest though and say that I had been living in the States, I don&#39;t think that buying a Volvo would have even been considered. I&#39;m just glad that I was here in Germany.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
May I ask why you wouldn&#39;t have considered a Volvo if you were living in the States?

gary
11-27-2003, 06:41 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chipshot @ Nov. 25 2003,05:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">May I ask why you wouldn&#39;t have considered a Volvo if you were living in the States?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Chipshot,

Had I been living in the States, I probably could have gone to any number of Jeep dealers and gotten a deal on the Jeep Grand Cherokee I wanted, so I doubt that Volvo would have even entered my mind. I also had a friend in college back in the mid 80&#39;s who had a big green Volvo four door sedan - I thought it was the ugliest car I had ever seen. Volvo has come along way on their designs.

However, I am glad I am in Germany and had access to Volvo military sales. As stated, I&#39;m a convert now...and I think my XC70 is by far the most comfortable car I&#39;ve ever owned. Can&#39;t wait to get &#39;my&#39; XC70 around the 2007 timeframe&#33;

John@CdnRockies
01-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Gary, consider that the Gods smiled on you.

Our Jeep has gone through 4 differentials and never been off pavement. Love it, but it should have its own personalized hoist at the dealer by now.

Next purchase will likely be the XC70 once the &#39;05 models are delivered.

gary
01-16-2004, 12:13 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (John@CdnRockies @ Jan. 15 2004,19:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Our Jeep has gone through 4 differentials and never been off pavement. Love it, but it should have its own personalized hoist at the dealer by now.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
John,

Sorry to hear about your Jeep. We had a &#39;93 Grand Cherokee (believe &#39;93 was the second year of production for this model) and we loved it. The vehicle was pretty much trouble-free for us in the six years we owned it. The only major problem I can recall was broken motor mounts (which I found strange considering ours rarely went off pavement and even then it wasn&#39;t really &quot;off-road&quot;). The dealer said this was a systemic problem with the Grand Cherokee (assume design flaw).

I love this Volvo wagon though and I think you will be very pleased with it. I&#39;m 6&#39;1&quot; (not tall compared to some others in this forum) and I&#39;ve never really been comfortable on long trips in any other vehicle we&#39;ve owned. It&#39;s a different story with the Volvo - it is the most comfortable car (?) I have ever driven. No longer do my hips hurt after a two-hour drive. I also find the performance of the engine and geartronic to be good and responsive. I&#39;m very happy with our decision to purchase this vehicle, and I&#39;m seriously considering another one (for me) when we leave the UK in 2007 and head back to the States. Best of luck to you when/if you get yours.

tgrumaj
02-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Gibbons,
I don&#39;t fit in any of your options.

We purchased a 240 (1989) for my wife. &nbsp;She loved the looks and had heard about dependability. &nbsp;It was &nbsp;a great buy. The car was a &quot;horse&quot; and ran and ran with little or no problems. Just do the maintenance and it was there for you. &nbsp;It was without a doubt the most dependable, reliable car I have ever owned. &nbsp;

Then when we moved to Hartford, CT we found a fantastic, honest Volvo only independent garage who has done all my servicing (brakes, tires, oil changes, and minor &quot;fixes&quot; since 1996. &nbsp;The thought of taking the car somewhere else was too much to think of.

Sooo....when we decided to buy an all wheel drive car for a potential retirement in NH, VT Or ME we had only one choice...the XC. I have to say from my limited ownership (a few weeks) and the posts on this and other boards, the XC, althought a much more luxurious and feature rich car, is no match for the 240 in dependability and reliability. &nbsp;I&#39;ve had more issues with this car (1999XC with 71k), than I had with the 240 between 71k and 160k (which is when we sold it to buy the XC). &nbsp;IT seems to mostly be in the electrial components of the new breed of car. &nbsp;With lots more features you get lots more issues....especially if they haven&#39;t been engineered well. &nbsp;

I still love my XC but like me on this board, I think we&#39;re still in the &quot;trial&quot; period. &nbsp;Bottom line, I still look forward to driving it each day.

Chipshot
02-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Has anyone here read the latest Forbes article (http://www.forbes.com/2004/02/17/cx_cd_0217test_print.html) on the XC70?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What&#39;s the only thing better than being at a ski resort in Vermont in late January with a layer of fresh powder on the ground?

Being there in a Volvo XC70 AWD.

With the temperature huddling in the single digits on days when only large pickup trucks with snow plows affixed to their front seemed capable of navigating the frozen highways, the XC70 was in its element. The suffix AWD stands, of course, for &quot;all wheel drive&quot; and this sweet little Swede is as frisky in the snow as an amorous Eskimo.

Previously badged as the Cross Country, the &#036;34,810 XC70 is one of a recent breed of luxury wagons--like the Audi S4 Avant and BMW 5-Series Sport wagon--that offer the handling and speed of a sedan with greater cargo volume. Styled with the same aerodynamic designs as their two- and four-door counterparts, these are wagons that provide a driving experience that just can&#39;t be found in a sport utility vehicle or minivan.

What&#39;s curious is that, despite the appeal of these cars, they don&#39;t sell all that well. According to the manufacturers, for 2003 the Mercedes-Benz E-Class wagon sold 1,995 units, BMW sold 1,500 5-Series Sport wagons, and Audi sold only 122 S4 Avants. Volvo was far and away the most popular in the category, although it costs on average &#036;10,000 less, selling 17,185 units in 2003. That was still down from more than 19,000 in 2002.

To put it in perspective, the best-selling wagon in the United States, the Ford (nyse: F - news - people ) Taurus, which comes fully loaded for around &#036;23,000, sold more than 30,000 units last year and that was a down year. The best-selling SUV, the &#036;26,000 Ford Explorer, moved more than 44,000 units in 2003, representing a 45% jump over the year before. (The best sellers in the United States are the Toyota (nyse: TM - news - people )Camry and Honda (nyse: HMC - news - people ) Accord, which sold more than 400,000 each.)

Why aren&#39;t these wagons selling? For one thing, they cost a lot. There&#39;s a reason why most people in Vermont, a state that has an average per capita income of under &#036;30,000, choose practical pickup trucks instead of sleek Eurowagons. Outside pockets of upscale communities around the country, few people have the money or inclination to blow around &#036;40K on a new Audi, BMW or Mercedes wagon. (Sedans are a different matter entirely, however: for 2003 Mercedes says it sold 53,240 of its comparably priced E-Class sedans.)

The other reason is that, while practical, they aren&#39;t practical enough. Sure, the XC70 is great at tackling the tundra but you can&#39;t hang a snowplow on it. The Audi, the Mercedes, the BMW just don&#39;t have the carrying capacity of an SUV.

What do they offer, though, is solid engineering, good looks and, frankly, snob appeal. Some people don&#39;t want to drive pickup trucks and there&#39;s nothing wrong with that. Other people just want the versatility that a wagon like the XC70 can offer.

Sitting in the front of the Volvo XC70 provides the driver and passenger with the kind of tactile, kinetic experience one expects today from a European luxury car. Although not as beautiful as the Mercedes-Benz E wagons or Audi&#39;s S4 or A6 Avants, the dashboard is clean, stylish and attractive, the dials and gauges both elegant to look at and easy to read. Nothing is hard to find or, worse, overly engineered.

The seats are comfortable and, again, for the lucky pair sitting in front, heated. There is also ample forward leg room. There are two cupholders and a handy storage well between the two front seats. Paddles on the wheel help the driver control sound and climate without taking his eyes off the road. Quibbles would include a rotary pre-set dial on the radio and power-window switch that is difficult to adjust. Trying to lower the window an inch or two to let in fresh air was nearly impossible, which given the arctic Vermont temperature outside proved overly bracing for the people in back.

If the experience of the two adult passengers who rode up to Vermont in the back seat of the XC70 is anything to go by, however, the comfort of rear passengers is definitely not on a par with those in the front. Not only do they lack heated seats--a real luxury on cold winter mornings--but the seats are shallow and when the people in front are over six feet tall, there is not much leg room aft. In fact, one of the passengers, after sitting for several hours, heaved a huge sigh of relief when our ski lodge came into view, saying that if we had to travel further she might experience &quot;deep vein thrombosis&quot; in her legs.

Of course, the majority of people using the XC70 are families; a long trip with four adults will probably be the exception rather than the rule. There is also a rear-facing third-row seat available for an additional &#036;1,500, which is great only for kids or, if adults are along, for trips under 15 minutes.

One thing that people will also notice is that because of the reinforced frame and the safety features for which Volvo is famous, the cabin feels cramped. Compared with the Mercedes wagon, head and shoulder room, even in the front, feels tighter, as does the cargo space--even though according to the specifications the E-class wagon is smaller than the XC70.

(The Volvo, however, has an MSRP that is roughly &#036;15,000 less than the Mercedes wagon so it is unfair to compare it too much.)

That said, the XC70&#39;s 2.5-liter 5-cylinder engine with 208 hp and peak torque from 1500 rpm to 4500 rpm--a powerplant which it shares with the new XC90 SUV--gives the car plenty of push, particularly once the turbocharger is engaged. But it needs the extra juice. Despite its relatively small size, the curb weight of the XC70 is a solid 3,827 lbs and, at just under eight seconds, zero to 60 seems sluggish.

Thanks to the heavy weight, fuel economy is also less than impressive, averaging around 19 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway, which is comparable to many mid-size SUVs.

Still, the car performed well on the highway and in the snow. The five-speed automatic transmission with optional manual drive was smooth and the car&#39;s high ground clearance and rear wheel drive were perfectly suited for the rough roads of backwoods Vermont. On the highway, too, the car handled well and drove comfortably, its turbocharger piquant enough for the demands of I-95.

Most important was the peace of mind we had knowing that we were driving a Volvo. It&#39;s not always a conscious thing, but there is something undeniably reassuring about knowing that a car has been submitted to the most rigorous safety checks on the planet. If you&#39;re considering using the XC70 to ferry around your family, such minor concerns as turbo lag seem unimportant indeed.

Consider such flaws as turbo lag and high fuel consumption the price you pay for peace of mind. Volvo may not be famous for building the fastest, snazziest or largest cars in the world, but it is famous, and justifiably so, for building the safest. The extra weight that the XC70 is carrying around is due not only to the car&#39;s reinforced frame but also to such standard additional safety features as dual front airbags, front side airbags, curtain side airbags, front-seat active head restraints, antilock four-wheel disc brakes, and daytime running lights.

Making the car safer still is an advanced all-wheel-drive system from Sweden&#39;s Haldex (whose other clients include Volvo&#39;s fellow member of Ford&#39;s Premier Automotive Group, Land Rover, as well as Volkswagen and Audi), which electronically counters wheel slip in just one-seventh of a wheel rotation. There is also an optional anti-skid system available for an additional &#036;695.

It is for safety first, and then for performance and styling, that people buy Volvos. For that reason alone, the XC70 is worth considering. Among its peers, its sticker price is approximately &#036;10,000 less but you still get AWD standard.

Volvo has long relied on its confirmed base of buyers who recognize the brand&#39;s value and reputation. Now that Ford owns it, it is trying to increase sales and reach out to a wider audience. So far the strategy seems to be working. 2003 was a record year for Volvo, in which the company sold more than 135,023 units, a 22% year-to-year increase. Unfortunately, sales for the XC70 are down by 23.4%, mostly due to the success of Volvo&#39;s &#036;40,000 XC90 SUV, which has probably cannibalized much of the XC70&#39;s natural sales base.

So, should you buy this car? Despite our criticisms, we liked it for its safety, AWD, versatility and, compared with other luxury wagons, its competitive pricing. If we lived in Vermont, however, we&#39;d probably have to buy a pickup truck as well to keep the driveway plowed.

Specs
Manufacturer Contact: The Volvo Web site

Color Options: Black, Ice White, Nautic Blue Metallic, Silver Metallic, Ash Gold Metallic, Ruby Red Metallic, Crystal Green Metallic

Suspension Type: Front: MacPherson strut with coil springs. Rear: Multilink independent with coil springs

Acceleration: 0 to 60 mph in 7.9 seconds (est.)

Engine Type; Displacement: 2.5-liter dohc turbocharged 5-cylinder engine; 5-speed automatic transmission

Horsepower: 208 hp @ 5000 rpm

Torque: 236 ft-lbs @ 1,500 rpm

EPA Mileage: 19 city/24 highway

MSRP: &#036;34,810

HIGHS:
Handsome lines; all-wheel drive; good cargo room; optional third row seat; and Volvo&#39;s famous reputation for safety

LOWS:
Mediocre fuel economy; sluggish acceleration; tight back seat[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>