PDA

View Full Version : 2006 XC70 Four C's service light and power steering leak

Island Cruiser
09-22-2014, 06:25 AM
A message came up yesterday saying 4 C's service, I did a quick visual inspection under the car and noticed a considerable power steering fluid leak.

I will get the leak fixed asap but I am wondering if that tripped the code or if it would be unrelated and I need to also address the code for 4 c's service.

Also there is no Volvo dealer within 3 hours of me so I cannot easily access Volvo specific fluids, any suggestions for alternative power steering fluid brands I can top up with in the short term?

coflynn
09-22-2014, 06:51 AM
any suggestions for alternative power steering fluid brands I can top up with in the short term?

Yup - the VW Power Steering fluid, part no G004000-M2. I believe the Volvo stuff is either CHF-202/CHF-11S depending on year. Some auto parts sell this stuff, but perversely I found local NAPA was even more expensive than Volvo (list was like ~$50 from NAPA). VW was the cheapest source for this stuff and had lots in stock, so I used the VW fluid when fixing my rack instead of Volvo fluid, had zero issues.

Looks like you've got a VW dealer on the island so might be the best bet.

Bottle will look like this:

Astro14
09-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Your NAPA is crazy...mine has it for about $20/bottle...so does the Foreign Car Parts place in town. CHF-202 for my 2002. I buy lots of CHF-11S for the Mercedes...and even the MB dealer only charges $22/bottle for the stuff...

MacNoob
09-22-2014, 08:24 AM
It's not just his NAPA - it's Canadian auto parts stores in general. CHF-11S/CHF-202 is insanely priced here. So is DOT 4+ brake fluid, if you can find it - I can hear them looking at me funny on the phone when I ask for it.

I generally order all my maintenance supplies in the U.S., delivered to a U.S. post box, and pick it up twice a year or so when I take a U.S. trip.

coflynn
09-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Yeah, the VW dealer was $30/bottle. I just looked at my old NAPA receipt... list was $61/bottle in 2009, although they gave it to me for ~$35 as I think it was almost never sold they said & I was getting some other crap at the time. Generally I'm pretty happy if stuff is lower than ~30% premium over US prices.

Some of the Canadian Volvo parts prices are 2x or more the US list prices (NOT the discount price by Tasca or whatever, but the full list price).

coflynn
09-22-2014, 10:48 AM
To the original question: I have no idea about 4C stuff, but does that 'system' also include the power steering gear with variable power assist? That might explain the power steering issue getting flagged as 4C.

As a warning: the steering rack is probably going to be expensive quasi-locally if you need to replace it. You might want to take a look yourself to see where the leak is coming from. I think I was quoted $900 for an aftermarket rack by a local mechanic (i.e. JUST the part), which I think was similar to OEM cost from the dealership here. This is without the variable assist valve either.

Thus if you know the replacement is required, it might be worthwhile getting either (a) a used rack or (b) an aftermarket one via mail order. In my case the leak was the 'cross-over' lines and didn't need to replace the rack, billr99 has a post on fixing them.

JRL
09-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Check the plastic reservoir, the bottom hose off that and the clamp
A simple tightening or replacement of that clamp may do the trick
(This is a VERY common issue)