PDA

View Full Version : Costco says goodbye to Kirkland battery

Tahoe_XC
09-14-2014, 06:22 PM
To my dismay I walked into the tire center at my Costco to pick up a new battery for my '01 (only car not currently running on a Kirkland battery) and there were no batteries. The tire center associate asked if he could help and I said well I am looking for a battery... He said there is good news and bad news:

Good news: Costco still sells car batteries, they have now been moved back to the center of the store,

Bad news: no longer selling Kirkland brand now selling Interstate

I asked how an Interstate battery could be bad news, price? The answer was no pricing seems comparable just significantly reduced selection. We looked up the Volvo and sure enough they no longer sell the battery I have in my '04 and '06.

Astro14
09-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Interstate makes a good battery. Don't know if they've got one in our size...

JRL
09-14-2014, 08:27 PM
They do

Tahoe_XC
09-14-2014, 08:34 PM
They do but Costco is not carrying, or so I have been told

swimNdrive
09-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Costco guys told me they did not have batteries for Volvo or BMW and many other European cars two years ago. I got good batteries for my XC70 and BMW from Walmart. As long as you have a Walmart store that has Automotive department, they should carry it, or you can order one online and pick it up at the store.

kutcht1
09-15-2014, 05:11 AM
There are really only a few companies that make batteries and I think one of the largest is Johnson Controls. I believe they are the maker of the ones at Walmart. I have bought them in the past and have had good luck.
TomK

RichS
09-16-2014, 06:07 AM
Original Volvo batteries have been great choices for me. I live close to dealers to no problem picking one up from the parts counter. Look for parts specials (discount coupons) on the dealer's web site to save a few bucks. I've only encountered one bad battery (bad cell or two after ~3 years) while typical lifetime has been 6-7 years. Cost has been $125-$150 if I recall correctly.

MacNoob
09-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Original Volvo batteries have been great choices for me. I live close to dealers to no problem picking one up from the parts counter. Look for parts specials (discount coupons) on the dealer's web site to save a few bucks. I've only encountered one bad battery (bad cell or two after ~3 years) while typical lifetime has been 6-7 years. Cost has been $125-$150 if I recall correctly.

My '07 is still on the original Volvo battery. I will definitely consider a dealer battery next time around. There are apparently two different batteries that will fit that space - the larger one is as fitted standard to the diesel model in Europe and can still be had here in North America.

Reverend
09-24-2014, 09:36 AM
The battery sizes should be H6 (regular) and H8 (I think, the larger one).