PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Upgrade - HU650 (just speakers)

Volvoholic
09-07-2014, 05:56 PM
I know this has been asked and spoken of before but I think I overloaded myself with information so I need to ask for myself. I've never actually replaced a stereo on any vehicle before but the XC speakers (HU650) are probably more worn than I realize. I figure an upgrade isn't too expensive, I can do it very easily myself, and get some more enjoyment out of the car.

My questions regard the actual speakers, I want to do the 4 6.5" door speakers and all 4 1" tweeters. I've read the rear tweeters aren't worth it and the fronts are marginally noticed when replaced. Experience on that standpoint would be greatly appreciated. I'm also curious as to how easy it is to not mar the tweet pod and just swap old for new with extremely minimal modification to the factory tweet holder for the front doors and rear pillar tweets.

I understand the 6.5" speakers are very simple, although painful, to replace. I have little idea as to what specifications for speaker I should look for. I understand the stock ones are 8 Ohm, 45W paper garbage. As far as speakers go, I'm unsure if lower power rated speakers will work just as well or if a higher power rating will be a better option.

Any other speaker related advice would be appreciated. I think I've got the uninstall/install process fairly down. There's not too much on speakers out there but between this site and swedespeed, the replacement process is covered very well. Although I do want to use a manual rivet tool over bolts and nylock nuts, not sure if anyone has used one of those before.

Volvoholic
09-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I also can't seem to find the thread on adding a center speaker to the HU650 system on any Volvo, could be using the wrong search terms. Help would be appreciated.

Waterdog
09-07-2014, 09:30 PM
When I replaced the speakers in my V70, I installed the speaker brackets using rivets and it worked very well. I also upgraded the front door tweeters with the better Volvo units and was not able to hear a difference. That doesn't mean much, however, as I have a significant high frequency hearing loss.

One thing I did that worked out well is to solder the new speaker leads to the bracket terminals, so I was able to use the stock feed wire terminals and thereby did not cut any of the original wiring (other than on the speaker itself).

Volvoholic
09-07-2014, 09:42 PM
When I replaced the speakers in my V70, I installed the speaker brackets using rivets and it worked very well. I also upgraded the front door tweeters with the better Volvo units and was not able to hear a difference. That doesn't mean much, however, as I have a significant high frequency hearing loss.

One thing I did that worked out well is to solder the new speaker leads to the bracket terminals, so I was able to use the stock feed wire terminals and thereby did not cut any of the original wiring (other than on the speaker itself).
Awesome, thank you. I was expecting that riveting the brackets back into place would be a viable, if not the best, option. I'm glad it worked out well for you. I don't think I would hear much of a difference in tweeter replacement either since I really only hear what comes from the door woofers. I'm not exactly a fan of high pitched sounds since they cause me severe discomfort. It was a thought that if I did the doors then the tweeters would come in so the entire package might give me more satisfaction in the car. I'm not sure how valid of a thought it is.

I was planning on having a friend of mine help me with the install so we could solder the new speakers to the existing terminals and make me a little more satisfied that the install was as good as we can do with the given hardware of the vehicle. I'm glad you were able to confirm my original thoughts on the install of the system, thank you.

Willy
09-08-2014, 12:09 AM
I also upgraded the front door tweeters with the better Volvo units and was not able to hear a difference.
I agree, the main thing is to have tweeters (I found out since mine came with dummies only :))
Willy

Volvoholic
09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Cool, then I can just do door speakers and make my time in my car a little more enjoyable. I guess the question is which speaker manufacturer is the better one these days since I've never shopped for aftermarket speakers.

Waterdog
09-08-2014, 07:19 PM
I agree, the main thing is to have tweeters (I found out since mine came with dummies only :))
Willy

On my Subaru Forester, adding tweeters in the doors made a very noticeable improvement over not having tweeters at all. So even hearing-challenged people like me can notice that difference.

Willy
09-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Indeed, tweeters make a big difference.
It is also a question of location, since high(er) frequencies beam, the drivers producing these
frequencies have to be close to the height of the ears.
I remember that without tweeters, the sound only became somewhat acceptable when my
head was on the level of the seat, hardly a comfortable position while driving :rolleyes:
Willy

swimNdrive
09-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Cool, then I can just do door speakers and make my time in my car a little more enjoyable. I guess the question is which speaker manufacturer is the better one these days since I've never shopped for aftermarket speakers.

As they say, its your ears and you money. Go to a place that you can listen to some of those aftermarket speakers, such as Best Buy. For my ears, to find a better 6.5" speakers to replace the stock speakers, I would budge $100+ for a pair.

Volvoholic
09-10-2014, 09:31 PM
I was looking and the high rated ones fall about 69-99 for a pair so I might be able to do the whole car for $200 plus a riveting tool. But I also have not heard any of the speakers so that's a good point. Should definitely try to check them out. I just don't know how to equate a listening experience in a place like best buy to what it will sound like in the car.

swimNdrive
09-10-2014, 11:48 PM
I was looking and the high rated ones fall about 69-99 for a pair so I might be able to do the whole car for $200 plus a riveting tool. But I also have not heard any of the speakers so that's a good point. Should definitely try to check them out. I just don't know how to equate a listening experience in a place like best buy to what it will sound like in the car.

In a place like Best Buy, you can compare the speakers they have. There is no way you can experience how those speaker sound in the car in those places. Even you are sitting in a car the sound experiences are different from different speed and road conditions, no to mention a specific car. The best way to find out if a specific pair of speakers that will work for you is to sit in a car similar to yours with the speakers that you are considering.

With your budge, the best place to shop for a specific pair of speakers, once you know what you want, you may want to try eBay. From time to time, someone will put a pair of high rated speaker at 30-50 off, such as new but open box items. Recently, I bought a pair of Polk Audio DXi651 (open box) on eBay at about $55 shipped. They sounds pretty good in my Tacoma.

For my XC70, I am keeping the 6.5" as the mid-range. They are good enough for me at this time. I will put my money on replacing the front tweeters, adding a power sub and a new HU. I think that will satisfy my listening needs.

Willy
09-11-2014, 12:00 AM
If I am not mistaken, the premium speakers in Volvo's (once) were Dynaudio's.
I think they still have automotive products.
Willy

Volvoholic
09-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Sorry to not reply to you guys directly but I bought Kicker CS65 coax speakers. Two sets for front and rear. Luckily, I destroyed the speaker I thought was mostly blown and pulled it out without having to drill the rivets but after I plugged in the one Kicker, I listened to it in the car compared to the not so blown left rear door speaker and I like the sound I get out of the stock paper crap better. It distorts more easily than the Kicker does but it offers more of a punch and bass note just using the stock HU-650. Since I don't want to put an amp in, I think I'm going to return the speakers and stop by my Volvo dealer and pay them some ridiculous price for a replacement speaker.

Sad to do but I don't want to shop around and listen to a bunch of speakers.

Hillbilly
09-14-2014, 02:23 AM
Since I don't want to put an amp in, I think I'm going to return the speakers and stop by my Volvo dealer and pay them some ridiculous price for a replacement speaker.

Re-coning speakers is common and affordable if you didn't tear up the basket/magnet..

Boneyards are another option for a broken in factory unit...

I'd replace both the L&R if you're going to order new..

kutcht1
09-14-2014, 05:21 AM
My Xc came to me without a rear speaker so off to the ebay I went and found one for $7 delivered. Strange that the oem one sounded better than the Kicker. Was the original in an enclosure and the kicker open air as that will make a BIG difference.
TomK

Willy
09-14-2014, 05:53 AM
...I like the sound I get out of the stock paper crap better.
Do you think that the speakers are crap because their cones are paper?
Willy

swimNdrive
09-14-2014, 04:01 PM
... Sad to do but I don't want to shop around and listen to a bunch of speakers.

Go back to stock won't be a bad idea. I always think the xc70 stock 6.5" speakers are not the best but decent, regardless how they look. However, the new stock speaker will cost you more than $100/each + shipping. With that much money, you can get better speakers if you are willing to try and listen a few more brands out there. If you are keeping the stock HU, you may want to try the speakers that have higher sensitivity. The Kickers you got has sensitivity rated at 90db, not too bad. But Polk Audio rated 92db and Infinity rated at 93db. Keep in mind, 1db is 10 time more sensitive. More sensitive speakers require less energy to drive them. Given at the same volume, they will sound louder.

Volvoholic
09-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Go back to stock won't be a bad idea. I always think the xc70 stock 6.5" speakers are not the best but decent, regardless how they look. However, the new stock speaker will cost you more than $100/each + shipping. With that much money, you can get better speakers if you are willing to try and listen a few more brands out there. If you are keeping the stock HU, you may want to try the speakers that have higher sensitivity. The Kickers you got has sensitivity rated at 90db, not too bad. But Polk Audio rated 92db and Infinity rated at 93db. Keep in mind, 1db is 10 time more sensitive. More sensitive speakers require less energy to drive them. Given at the same volume, they will sound louder.
From my understanding, the db scale is logarithmic so I get your point. I'm going to find out what they charge for one here in Los Angeles and see what parts come with that then go from there. The only thing I run into is that I want the full performance of the stock system that I get by adjusting treble and bass but don't want to spend a lot of money or get more than 4 speakers. Below, I said I'm not sure I'm going to keep the car past 11 months from now so less money the better. I'm alright with spending $100 for a stock speaker just because I'll have the full stock set and won't need to care or worry about it. If it just needs to be riveted onto the door and plugged in then that'll be even better. No soldering for me! I can't stand soldering.

Do you think that the speakers are crap because their cones are paper?
Willy
Not necessarily, although I do know that the material the speaker is made from will help in not distorting the sound. Given the elastic modulus of paper is much, much lower than that of IMPP, carbon fiber, kevlar, and just about any other material they make speaker cones out of, the cone itself will distort more than one of those comparable materials. If the speaker cone distorts under a movement then the sound from the speaker is worse. By logic, I should think the paper cone is the reason why the speakers are crap but I'm not doing any crazy db level competitions out of the thing so I should be fine with paper cones.

This is simple mechanics of materials stuff but I'm a mechanical engineer, I should add that disclaimer.

My Xc came to me without a rear speaker so off to the ebay I went and found one for $7 delivered. Strange that the oem one sounded better than the Kicker. Was the original in an enclosure and the kicker open air as that will make a BIG difference.
TomK
Unless you count the door as an enclosure, just open air. I replaced speaker for speaker as Volvo would have it installed. I think If I were to install an amp all my problems would be solved and the Kickers would sound exponentially better. Since I don't want to put that time or money into a car I might keep for around another 11 months, I'll never find out.

Re-coning speakers is common and affordable if you didn't tear up the basket/magnet..

Boneyards are another option for a broken in factory unit...

I'd replace both the L&R if you're going to order new..
I'm pretty sure the magnet was going out. The copper wire had a lot of oxidation. Looks like there was a bit of water that got up in the door some number of years ago (maybe salt and snow from the previous owners taking the car to Lake Tahoe). I think that's what was killing the speaker. Either way I'd have to get a new magnet for it.
I'll see what they charge down here for one and maybe I'll do both. Depending on the price and how much of the speaker assembly it comes with, I might have to do some shopping around. My front right speaker seems to be faintly going in and out too so I'm not sure if that whole side got a bit too much of something at one point. I'm too busy during the week and my weekends are never long enough to take the door off to find out.

swimNdrive
09-14-2014, 10:10 PM
If I were you, I would get a good used stock speaker from eBay and be done with it. Just make sure the surround is not blown or just about to blown. I just did a quick search for you on eBay. At about $30 you can get one shipped to you.

Willy
09-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Not necessarily, although I do know that the material the speaker is made from will help in not distorting the sound.
Yes, that is so.
Some high quality speakers use a paper cone impregnated with a kind of resin to stiffen it.
The advantage of paper is its low mass, making it easier to start and stop moving.
Willy

Volvoholic
09-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Yes, that is so.
Some high quality speakers use a paper cone impregnated with a kind of resin to stiffen it.
The advantage of paper is its low mass, making it easier to start and stop moving.
Willy
Oh yea, we can get into Newton's second law and composite materials all day (I've had many arguments over translating masses) but I just ordered a new stock speaker from the local Volvo dealer. $69.57+tax for the entire assembly, brand new. Just rivet to the door and plug in. I just need to find that page I was looking at with the rivet specifications and I'll be set. Gotta stop by Harbor Freight for a riveting tool at some point too.
Can you believe they quoted me $156 in labor to do the one door?! Insane!

Willy
09-15-2014, 11:38 PM
I just ordered a new stock speaker from the local Volvo dealer. $69.57+tax for the entire assembly, brand new.
I think that is good decision and the price is certainly right [thumbup]
Willy

Thames
09-16-2014, 06:32 AM
I listened to it in the car compared to the not so blown left rear door speaker and I like the sound I get out of the stock paper crap better. It distorts more easily than the Kicker does but it offers more of a punch and bass note just using the stock HU-650.

Many (if not all) speakers required a "break-in" time.
The speaker will exhibit more bass/punch after a few hours of playing. I noticed the same thing in my XC 2 years ago. I put Infinity Ref 6.5 in the front and noticed better clarity but lack of punch... after a few months, the cones were looser and the sound was MUCH better, now more punch and definition. Give 'em some time maybe ?

Volvoholic
09-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Many (if not all) speakers required a "break-in" time.
The speaker will exhibit more bass/punch after a few hours of playing. I noticed the same thing in my XC 2 years ago. I put Infinity Ref 6.5 in the front and noticed better clarity but lack of punch... after a few months, the cones were looser and the sound was MUCH better, now more punch and definition. Give 'em some time maybe ?
For the future, I will remember this. I did not take break in time into account with the Kickers but I will in the future. I've got an '05 Expedition with a blown 6x9 that should probably be replaced. That car has a sub installed from the factory so I won't need to worry about the speakers being better or worse.

I think that is good decision and the price is certainly right [thumbup]
Willy
At this point with this car, I think so too. The next Volvo will probably be different. I might just order it with the top tier sound system right off the bat too. This one was used with more necessity than want.

Volvoholic
09-16-2014, 05:59 PM
YOU WILL NEED 3/16" RIVETS FOR THE SPEAKER HOUSING!

Just in case anyone ever references this thread at some point. I found that out the hard way when the guy at Volvo gave me 5/32" or something which just did not work, obviously.

Got the new speaker installed. Looks way better compared to the old one I pulled. Sounds almost identical to the other 3 so I'm glad about that. It's slightly higher pitched right now but I'm assuming it needs a nice break in and I'll be cool.

Thanks for the help everyone, I was expecting this to be more aftermarket than it turned out to be.