PDA

View Full Version : PEM Module- Fuel pump electronic module

charlie8
08-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Hi Friends,
2005 XC70
I took my car to a garage to diagnose a no start problem and they said I need a new PEM module and quoted me $1,520!!!
I found a replacement from XeModex for $299. and I don't mind getting dirty. They said 4 1/2 hours labour because they have to drop the fuel tank part way and then relocate it under the seat.
Is this a hard job and what's involved with it??
I understand there is a recall for this part but it only makes reference to the S40. Does anyone know if the XC70 is covered by this recall?
Anyone have a video or tips on getting this job done??
Thanks

hoonk
08-28-2014, 06:16 AM
The usual problem with the fuel pump controller is the electrical connections get damaged due to corrosion or the controller corrodes inside. It appears to be a dealer only part that Xemodex and probably others will/are selling for under list price - there is a Bosch number on it so it may be available directly from Bosch somewhere.

Have had to replace one on a northern car, but the customer elected to leave it in it's original position. (Previous northern car moved to the south w/no salt down here)

Photo is courtesy of Volvoforums.com

bap 122S
08-28-2014, 08:37 PM
I have a 2005 XC70. My PEM went out, had the car towed to the closest dealer, they charged me $445 to replace it. They did not have the cable to reposition it, but I got home. At my local dealer they ordered the longer cable, and repositioned it, for $268. So that was about $700, and they did NOT drop the gas tank. This was 2 years ago. The Tech-Net Notes the first dealer printed out for me (NO: 23-32, DATE: 4-30-2008) was pretty specific on how to relocate it to the right rear wheel edge of the spare wheel well, and no mention of dropping the fuel tank like I said.
Hope this helps,
Brian

charlie8
08-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks Hoonk,
I decided to take the car home for the price they were going to charge me. (I'm a former mechanic) I took the module apart and there was some aluminum bits due to corrosion but everything else and the connections looked clean and okay. I put it back together and it fired up and ran like a charm for the whole day (yesterday). I was real happy until I went to start it this morning and it wouldn't fire at all. I'm not familiar with the Volvos. Do you know anything else in the fuel system that acts up that I can check??
Thanks