PDA

View Full Version : What a disappointment!!!!!

JRL
08-26-2014, 06:55 AM
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?216204-World-premi%E8re-the-all-new-Volvo-XC90

XCovlov70
08-26-2014, 08:21 AM
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?216204-World-premi%E8re-the-all-new-Volvo-XC90

Title is exactly right!

No pictures as links don't work!!! [nonono][nonono]

Forkster
08-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I hear ya. It looks like an Audi Q7. With all the secrecy, I was hoping for a interesting design and something that had a lot of character like some of the stuff we've seen at the car shows from Volvo. This... meh.

Forkster
08-26-2014, 08:22 AM
http://www.swedespeed.com/emAlbum/albums/Cars/02%20Volvo%20(Modern%20Era)/XC90/from%202015%20(SPA)/2015%20XC90/02-Volvo-XC90.jpg

Forkster
08-26-2014, 08:22 AM
http://www.swedespeed.com/emAlbum/albums/Cars/02%20Volvo%20(Modern%20Era)/XC90/from%202015%20(SPA)/2015%20XC90/07-Volvo-XC90.jpg

Forkster
08-26-2014, 08:23 AM
The Audi Q7...design is a few years old...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Audi_Q7_(Facelift)_front_20110115.jpg

JRL
08-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Title is exactly right!

No pictures as links don't work!!! [nonono][nonono]

Of course it does.

XCovlov70
08-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Of course it does.

What does?

pelagikos
08-29-2014, 08:57 AM
I agree, the exterior design is neither groundbreaking nor trendsetting, as they made us to expect. But it is pretty enough, it is Volvo's "me too" in the world of current "round-bodied" (as I see them) SUVs.

If anything, the interior may become the selling point. Other than that I don't see why would anyone buy the XC90 over Audi, for example.

The HMI (instruments and controls) is (one of) the most modern/advanced out there. That will attract some people too.
To me, it gives a big pause, as it will look and be grossly outdated in just 3-4 years. I predict, it will also be No.1 reason for service calls/visits.

That said, there is a reasonable probability that the V90 wagon (or whatever it will be called) coming soon thereafter will have less of a bland exterior.

boosted12a
09-02-2014, 05:26 PM
the grill looks like an 80s 240 grill and the front end looks like a jeep or durango with the headlights.

Steve F
09-02-2014, 08:53 PM
My first thought was the Jeep Cherokee also, but the more I looked at it I started seeing a Toyota highlander in it too. It certainly isn't earth shattering as the description makes it out to be.

JeffH
09-03-2014, 06:42 PM
the grill looks like an 80s 240 grill and the front end looks like a jeep or durango with the headlights.

I was thinking 740 sedan grille...

budrichard
09-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I don't like the styling, the front end looks like it was styled for the Chinese market.
I don't know if the 4cyl engine will drive all the wheels or you require the combo setup, therefore not obtaining high gas mileage or whether the US will get a diesel?
I've been pissed at Volvo for years for not offering a diesel in the USA.
But and this is the BIG BUT, I like the safety features and was impressed with the crash test videos, particularly the roll over crash test.
We will probably replace one XC70 with either an XC90 or redesigned XC70 if the same safety features are offered.
We are getting older and these safety features are an advantage.
The other XC70's will be retired and replaced with some sort of AWD Porsche for summer and light winter driving.
The Porsche 18 way seats are just about as comfortable as Volvo seats and the ride with the Porsche PASM system almost matches the Volvo XC70 ride. The quality and quality control on the new Porsche's is the best in the world, you really need to own and drive one of these vehicles to a get a good idea. Why not a Cayenne or Macan I keep asking myself? Maybe!-Dick

XCovlov70
09-09-2014, 11:49 PM
While the 1927 Special Edition XC90 sold out in record time I guess for those new owners it did not fit in the category of being a 'disappointment'.

I wonder if we will see any feedback in 6 months or a Years time from them?

pelagikos
09-10-2014, 03:33 AM
While the 1927 Special Edition XC90 sold out in record time I guess for those new owners it did not fit in the category of being a 'disappointment'.

I wonder if we will see any feedback in 6 months or a Years time from them?

On forums like this one? I doubt many of the 1927 are DIY types.:)

PS My undestanding , at least some of these cars (no idea how many) were bought by dealers.

XCovlov70
09-10-2014, 08:10 AM
On forums like this one? I doubt many of the 1927 are DIY types.:)

PS My undestanding , at least some of these cars (no idea how many) were bought by dealers.

Can you please expand the term 'DIY types' as not sure what your understanding of DIY is as mine is 'Do It Yourself' but I could no more build an XC90 than any other driver!

pelagikos
09-10-2014, 08:24 AM
I thought it was pretty clear. Hmm...

Vast majority of people hanging around these forums perform at least some types of maintenance and repairs themselves, and this is the primary reason why they came across these forums in the first place. The DIY types.

Then, a type happily dropping $65K (or whatever the price was) on a car sight-unseen, of a brand with a questionable future in the US... I can not imagine such person tinkering with brake pads in their garage.

This is just a generalization, of course. But probability for one of 1927 showing up here is somewhat slim in my estimate.

XCovlov70
09-10-2014, 10:54 PM
I thought it was pretty clear. Hmm...

Vast majority of people hanging around these forums perform at least some types of maintenance and repairs themselves, and this is the primary reason why they came across these forums in the first place. The DIY types.

Then, a type happily dropping $65K (or whatever the price was) on a car sight-unseen, of a brand with a questionable future in the US... I can not imagine such person tinkering with brake pads in their garage.

This is just a generalization, of course. But probability for one of 1927 showing up here is somewhat slim in my estimate.

We can always 'Live in Hope'!

dialex
11-19-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't agree- I think this car is the next Volvo hit, like the first XC90 did back in 2003. Audi Q7 is the same as the Touareg and Cayenne- and overall it is little bit shorter than the present Volvo XC90 , and now we are looking at a brand new, light weight, fuel efficient platform, this is Volvo's aim at the 1980'S production numbers. This is a brand new design, and engine as well (started on the S60/XC60/ V60 this year) so the first model year will not score high in reliability, (as all new production cars) but eventually will find it's place and many followers to come. Regarding the exterior shape- It has one very important detail that matters to me- the diagonal stripe!
I could not drive a Volvo without the original grill, because the car emblem on a Volvo shows it's nature, it's philosophy, it is not like the badge on the Chevy Blazer and Isuzu Rodeo, (same car) I personally would wait 3-4 years and would consider buying one of those, mean time I am driving my older ones with pleasure!

Present cars:
760 B230ft 1990 SW daily driver
760 B230ft 1989 Sedan daily driver
780 B230ft 1990 Coupe Sunday driver
V70 2001 2.4T daily driver
XC90 2004 2.5T daily driver
and few more...

nickbw
11-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Totally agree with "I don't like the styling sentiment" so happy I'm not in the league to buy a new 'any car'! Why is Volvo trying to market a new model on the strength of an iPad? Got nothing against Apple, typing this on a PPC Mac!

XCovlov70
11-20-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't agree- I think this car is the next Volvo hit, like the first XC90 did back in 2003. Audi Q7 is the same as the Touareg and Cayenne- and overall it is little bit shorter than the present Volvo XC90 , and now we are looking at a brand new, light weight, fuel efficient platform, this is Volvo's aim at the 1980'S production numbers. This is a brand new design, and engine as well (started on the S60/XC60/ V60 this year) so the first model year will not score high in reliability, (as all new production cars) but eventually will find it's place and many followers to come. Regarding the exterior shape- It has one very important detail that matters to me- the diagonal stripe!
I could not drive a Volvo without the original grill, because the car emblem on a Volvo shows it's nature, it's philosophy, it is not like the badge on the Chevy Blazer and Isuzu Rodeo, (same car) I personally would wait 3-4 years and would consider buying one of those, mean time I am driving my older ones with pleasure!

Present cars:
760 B230ft 1990 SW daily driver
760 B230ft 1989 Sedan daily driver
780 B230ft 1990 Coupe Sunday driver
V70 2001 2.4T daily driver
XC90 2004 2.5T daily driver
and few more...

Only time will tell along with the number of people who wish to part with a huge chunk of money as I understand that a new one on the road in the UK will set you back around £45,000 that's $67,500 (USD)!
:eek:

JRL
05-02-2015, 10:42 AM
MUCH nicer in person.
I will drive it next week when I have more than 30 minutes allowed today but the interior is a killer and it all works quite well!

Thames
05-12-2015, 11:55 AM
MUCH nicer in person.
I will drive it next week when I have more than 30 minutes allowed today but the interior is a killer and it all works quite well!

So... ? :)

XCovlov70
05-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Saw one in a dealer in Sweden on our way north and like our previous XC70 it had an off white Leather Interior, which is a wonderful material for picking up the dye from your Levi's or Wranglers as ours did, even after being treated with a solution that claimed to stop it.

After 6 months the seats were a mixture of off white/grey & blue so the car got sold, as the marks could not be completely removed!

With 7 Seats it might appeal to BIG families or people who wish to impress.

Forkster
05-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Saw one in a dealer in Sweden on our way north and like our previous XC70 it had an off white Leather Interior, which is a wonderful material for picking up the dye from your Levi's or Wranglers as ours did, even after being treated with a solution that claimed to stop it.

After 6 months the seats were a mixture of off white/grey & blue so the car got sold, as the marks could not be completely removed!

With 7 Seats it might appeal to BIG families or people who wish to impress.I am looking at getting a XC90...when is a different story. I never ever thought that white leather interiors are a good idea, especially if you have kids. They DO look pretty but not very practical - the first red slushy spill will definitely leave a stain on the white leather. :)

XCovlov70
05-13-2015, 10:03 AM
I am looking at getting a XC90...when is a different story. I never ever thought that white leather interiors are a good idea, especially if you have kids. They DO look pretty but not very practical - the first red slushy spill will definitely leave a stain on the white leather. :)

I would suspect while not having seen a price list, that the 'White Leather' comes as standard, if however you would like one of the optional colours then get ready to drag along your Bank Manager to sign the cheque over and make sure you are sat down when you find out how much extra it will be! :mad:

Forkster
05-13-2015, 11:23 AM
I would suspect while not having seen a price list, that the 'White Leather' comes as standard, if however you would like one of the optional colours then get ready to drag along your Bank Manager to sign the cheque over and make sure you are sat down when you find out how much extra it will be! :mad:I would actually think that black leather seats would be a zero charge for the difference. In every other model Volvo sells, only the 'inscription' edition of the leather interior charges more - white/beige/black is no charge to change. Exterior colour - black and white are the 'fee free' options - as with every Volvo.

vtl
08-01-2015, 07:03 PM
MUCH nicer in person.
Saw it today, with Inscription trim. Very, very nice. This will be a hit!

We drove to see 2016 Ford Explorer Limited as well, it's an unbelievable POS compared to XC90, for almost the same price! I left the dealer with the feeling that this car cost 15k more than it should.

Now I need to convince wife that we need new XC90, not Honda Odyssey as she wants (which POS of too, but the price is more fair than Ford's).

Handsomedan
08-19-2015, 09:54 PM
I actually quite like it...but then I have always liked the Q7, too.

there's no accounting for taste, I guess. :D

Johnny V
12-14-2015, 07:59 PM
This car is the next biggest hit for Volvo! Very beautiful car.

JRL
12-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Been out 6 months, you're a bit late here.
Yes, it's nice with a killer interior but I still think they could have done a better job with the overall shape.
All the initial orders have arrived and delivered and there are plenty available now on the lots.
It's well liked but next biggest hit,....that remains to be seen.[sly]

The sedan clone, the S90, is also a bit subdued.
They had a clean slate, they still really need help in their (production) design dept. Their show cars are pretty neat but when translated to the production car they seem to lose their visual punch/panache!

budrichard
01-12-2016, 10:38 AM
While picking up my wife's 2011 XC70 after yearly service, took one out for 45 min drive.
Ride was not as good as the 2011 XC70 but not bad, purely subjective on my part.
Drive E with plugin starts at about $70K! Other wise the 4 cyl gets 25mpg! Not good!
Dealership only giving Loyalty $1K off sticker! I have purchased three previous XC70's from this Dealership.
Soft Roader Cross Country still years down the road.
For the replacement for my wife's 2011 XC70, I will purchase the new MB E Class wagon when available and she is ready for a new wagon.
For me, the replacement for my 2003XC70 which is slowly falling apart is on order and it's not a Volvo!
It is AWD and starts with a P. Not Cayenne, not Macan and not Panamera!-Richard

JRL
01-17-2016, 08:35 PM
New V90XC is about a year to 18 months away

Forkster
01-21-2016, 09:04 AM
while picking up my wife's 2011 xc70 after yearly service, took one out for 45 min drive.
Ride was not as good as the 2011 xc70 but not bad, purely subjective on my part.
Drive e with plugin starts at about $70k! Other wise the 4 cyl gets 25mpg! Not good!
Dealership only giving loyalty $1k off sticker! I have purchased three previous xc70's from this dealership.
Soft roader cross country still years down the road.
For the replacement for my wife's 2011 xc70, i will purchase the new mb e class wagon when available and she is ready for a new wagon.
For me, the replacement for my 2003xc70 which is slowly falling apart is on order and it's not a volvo!
It is awd and starts with a p. Not cayenne, not macan and not panamera!-richard

911 c-4?

budrichard
01-22-2016, 06:03 AM
911 c-4?

Carrera C4S. 991.2
Daily driver, will get a Porsche winter tire/wheel set for winter.

As an aside, two sources, Motor Week and Consumer Reports both get 20mpg combined for the new XC90.
Absolutely horrible!
Did Volvo bite off more than they could chew with the Drive-E concept and now are left to sell it?
Who will pay $80K min for the T-8 and what will the real world mileage be?-Richard
BTW Consumer Reports also says to avoid first year production.

budrichard
01-22-2016, 06:10 AM
New V90XC is about a year to 18 months away

That's about what I figure for the E Class with another year to avoid first year problems.
So decision time is 3 years away.
Works out to be a good time frame for the 2011 XC70 unless it starts to fall apsrt like my 2003XC70!-Richard

Forkster
01-22-2016, 02:17 PM
I had originally hoped to replace my wife's P2 XC70 with the P3 XC70 but the lack of rear leg room kaboshed that real quick (guess North America/Europe is not in their demographic/profiling for sales). Then I looked at the XC90 - the lack of anti-collision tech in the 2014 and the steep asking price for the new 2015 model torpedoed that as well. So we looked the XC60. Dealership stupidity and rude Volvo sales staff nuked that deal. Which left me to see what other safe AWD vehicles can handle Canuck winters and be as durable as the Volvo.

Hello Subaru.

Forester 2.0T Limited with the eye-sight tech please and thank-you. Boys can have it as their car in 4 to 5 years.

My Porsche Cayenne GTS... I mean my Ford F-350 SWD Lariat is my sled. Dang travel trailers and kids. Makes a good Zombie Apocalypse daily driver :D

budrichard
01-22-2016, 03:00 PM
My brother-in-law is on his second Forester, puts Hakka's on for the winter and swears by the Forester.
He also has a 150 4x4 and a Z06 also.
I'm not a Troll but in the years since Volvo was a recognised leader in safety, there are other vehicles out there to consider.
I get Cayenne Diesel's and gas for loaners. Superb ride at speed, 80mph feels like 35 mph. Of course they are bulit for the Autobahn and over built for North America but the inherent quality and design/engineering in a Porsche product is quite satisfying. Only problem is Porsche can pick your pocket better than any Brand I have dealt with.-Richard

XCovlov70
01-23-2016, 08:16 AM
Sounds like someone is a tad upset now after throwing his toys out of his pram! [nonono]

Still I don't envy him when he gets them back and finds out the cost of Repair/Replacement/Servicing and Accessories! Ouch & Double Ouch!!!

Just hope his Bank Manager has got a sympathetic ear............:o

budrichard
01-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Sounds like someone is a tad upset now after throwing his toys out of his pram! [nonono]

Still I don't envy him when he gets them back and finds out the cost of Repair/Replacement/Servicing and Accessories! Ouch & Double Ouch!!!

I've never replied to one of your Posts with such sarcastic juvenile language!
Just because the Internet is somewhat anonymous does not give you the right to be downright insulting.
You can be assured I will reply to your Posts with the same sarcasm!

Forkster
01-29-2016, 09:15 AM
My brother-in-law is on his second Forester, puts Hakka's on for the winter and swears by the Forester.
He also has a 150 4x4 and a Z06 also.
I'm not a Troll but in the years since Volvo was a recognised leader in safety, there are other vehicles out there to consider.
I get Cayenne Diesel's and gas for loaners. Superb ride at speed, 80mph feels like 35 mph. Of course they are bulit for the Autobahn and over built for North America but the inherent quality and design/engineering in a Porsche product is quite satisfying. Only problem is Porsche can pick your pocket better than any Brand I have dealt with.-Richard
Interesting is that I put Hakka 8's on my Forester. It's a monster in the snow - love blowing away the expensive toys (even AWD models) with my Foz 2.0T...except for Sube WRX's, Mitz Lancer EVO's, and Audi's with good winter tires....they're beasts in their own right.

The Foz is way better in the snow for stability than my old Volvo XC wagon.

As for the Porsche...yeah, if you can afford to own a new Porsche, you should also be able to afford the maintenance. Except if you turn your own wrenches...

vtl
01-30-2016, 07:02 AM
The Foz is way better in the snow for stability than my old Volvo XC wagon.
Does it have locking differentials? If the answer is "no" then the only "snow plowing" difference from XC70 with same winter tires set would be a 200 of extra pounds in Volvo.

Forkster
02-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Does it have locking differentials? If the answer is "no" then the only "snow plowing" difference from XC70 with same winter tires set would be a 200 of extra pounds in Volvo.

It has something even better than the tech behind locking differentials - X-Mode. It helps in steep terrain for climbs and descents and really slippery conditions at slow speeds, and allows for more focus on steering and driving than braking or accelerating out of a tight spot. And of course, it's a 60/40 power setup...which is different than our XC70 which is primarily FWD until it needs the rear - it's a 90/10 setup for the Volvo XC.