PDA

View Full Version : adjusting front door gap

cwise73
08-17-2014, 01:28 PM
My MY2002 XC has a very slight whistle noise that sounds like the front driver side window is open just a crack. I originally thought that the door gasket was bad, but after a little investigation, it looks my front driver side door is a couple of mm to high and forward to created a good seal with the gasket on the rear door. I originally thought that any alignment was factory set and not easily adjusted, but I am hoping that I am wrong. I was wondering if anyone has had any success adjusting the door, or could offer any advice. Thanks in advance!

JRL
08-17-2014, 02:18 PM
You shouldn't have to unless it was previously damaged
However, first slightly loosen the door striker and tap it in a millimeter or two
If that doesn't work come back and we'll discuss it

cwise73
08-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the response JRL. I moved the striker back a few millimeters, and the door is still far enough off to not seal correctly. The gap is definitely off more at the top of the door frame than the bottom, so I am assuming that the PO must have damaged it. If you have any other suggestions on how to address this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

hoonk
08-17-2014, 06:56 PM
The gap is definitely off more at the top of the door frame than the bottom

The hinges are adjustable in/out/up and down, the striker plate also - if those adjustments do not help - and there is too large a gap on the rear top corner of the window frame creating wind noise, the window frame could be bent (out) - Roll the window down and try to bend the window frame closer to the body (simply put your knee at the top of the door panel and pull the top of the frame - but not hard enough to destroy anything! - and yes I have had to do that many times to correct wind noise at the corner of a door)

Thames
08-18-2014, 06:13 AM
Similar question here. I need to raise rear part of the door, so theorically, I'd have to put a shim on the lower hinge. Is it the right way to adjust it ??

hoonk
08-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Volvo does sell door hinge shims - but I don't know how thick they are