PDA

View Full Version : What Timing Belt Would You Buy?

JeffHicks
08-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Hey Guys - I'm about to replace the timing belt (late-'02 XC). It got oil on it, plus I do not have any proof of when it was last replaced. I'm planning to buy the kit, and will probably replace the water pump at the same time.

Not looking for a pissing match here, but from personal experience, what brand/supplier would you recommend? Obviously I'm not going with a cheap belt, but should I buy a Gates belt locally, go OEM Volvo, IPD, what? What are your thoughts?

JRL
08-11-2014, 05:57 AM
OEM Volvo complete kit (w/ both tensioners)
(You can buy this from FCP Groton at a fair price)

I sure hope you also are replacing cam seals, maybe the crank seal and maybe the breather system (in other words fix the source(s) of all oil leaks)
Also replace the serp belt as it too must have oil on it

Astro14
08-11-2014, 06:25 AM
I'll second what Jim said. If it got oil on it, you've got to fix the leaks, both the seals (all of them) and the source of the pressure that made the seals fail - the PCV system. Got mine from FCP Groton as a kit. They have a great kit with WP, seals and timing set. Never replace just the belt in this engine, do the tensioner and idler at the same time. I would trust Continental and Volvo as brands. Conti is likely the OE supplier.