PDA

View Full Version : 2010 battery keeps ending up dead...

Ex1900Driver
08-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Hey everyone...

I did a quick search but didn't find specifically what I'm looking for.
This sounds like an easy problem but it's turning into a pain.

If I leave my xc70 parked in the garage for a week or 2 when I come back to it the battery charge is not sufficient enough to even recognize the key fob leave alone start the car. The dealer has said that the charging system is fine and no error codes are present. So I had the battery checked. Was told the battery is fine and we can't find any sort of real draw on the electrics while it sits.
Do we think this is just a case of needing a new battery even though the dealer and my local auto parts guys say the battery is fine?

2010 xc70, 70,000 miles, 3 bitter cold winters in the mountains in CO, original battery since vehicle was new.

Thanks for helping a mechanically challenged member!

Gdc

boosted12a
08-10-2014, 07:32 PM
hard to say. I still have the original battery in my 05 S80 and my 09 XC has the original too. I could see the cold taking a toll on the battery. one sure fire way to see if it is the battery is un hook it for the normal time you don't drive it and if it dies unhooked that would be the problem. how may times has this happened? full discharges are not great for the battery either so if it has happened a lot I would replace it anyway. as far as troubleshooting after you drive it, let it sit for an hour or so and see what the voltage stabilizes at, it should be a little above 12V, if its right at or below 12V it may be a drain. shade tree diagnosis for that is to start pulling fuses with a volt meter on the battery and look for a voltage increase as you pull fuses.

cdp8
08-10-2014, 09:09 PM
The battery in my '09 XC70 died just over three years after I got it. Got it jumped and got it tested. It supposedly passed. I have no clue what they are testing for. The battery would take the charge but it sure wouldn't hold it very long. After the second time it needed jumped I replaced the battery. I have a feeling that Volvo cheaped out on the 08+ xc70 batts. It seemed like they were cutting every little corner they could. How much did it cost for them to put that little plastic clip for toll ticket on the windshield, a quarter? I'd have to look at my records, but I think I may have more miles on the replacement battery than the original. So much electrical on all the time with PCC and the alarm; plus using the rear door with the engine off. I guess it all adds up.

Amusong
09-13-2014, 04:14 AM
I have had to replace the battery once on my 2008 XC70 and it looks like I am due for another now ( see my thread just posted on complete electrical failure)

toma nova
09-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Battery is shot.

Our 2010 is on it's third battery. OEM lasted 2.5 years, replacement lasted about 1.5 years, warranty on the replacement has been working fine for ~6 months. I chalked it up to TX heat but the parasitic draw and/or operating load may just be rough on XC batteries.

You could use a battery tender if you know you'll be gone for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Tom

BuzzLightYear
10-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Hello everyone -

Hope this helps or leads someone to the right answer...

2008 XC70 Car was dead in a parting lot after driving just fine. Car was literally shut off for 25 minutes, no other indication prior to this. AAA came to check the car, opened up the battery compartment and the battery literally had a hole in it and was leaking out. AAA was able to et a charge in enough to get it home. Replaced the battery and cleaned everything out.

About a year later, my wife drove it to work, parked and when she went o come home, the car was dead. This time the battery looked fine and there was no indication of any problems.
(Mind you all this time during service calls, the battery tested fine with no issues)

AAA was there to save the day again and give the battery enough of a charge to get to our local shop. They replaced the battery and noted at that time the negative battery cable show severe corrosion and was not allowing the battery to stay charged. Needless to say we are changing the cable today and we'll see how long it lasts.

Cheers