PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank empty

barrysharp
04-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Under unusual conditions one could be in a situation where the fuel has been completly used up and the fuel tank runs dry.

For this situation

1. Any special advice for starting the engine after refilling the fuel tank ? Should one simply crank the engine until it starts ?
2. When fuel tank goes dry is there a strong possibility the fuel pump(s) could be damaged as I'm sure they're normally cooled by the surrounding fuel.
3. When fuel tank goes dry is electricity cut off from reaching the pumps to avoid any chance of sparking and causing a TWA-800 fuel tank type explosion of the gas vapours (...and I don't mean to sound any alarms here) ?
4. Should the fuel filter be replaced after having run the fuel tank dry ?

Thanks.

Avid Edit
04-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Barry,
          Just remember to keep a copy of the Congressional
   Record handy,should fit in some cubbyhole somewhere.

Chipshot
11-03-2003, 01:28 PM
I almost learned about this the hard way over the weekend.  Put 18.5 gallons in my car on Sunday.  Not sure I really want to know just how close I came to running it dry.

baz957
11-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Remember having a posting on this thread, strangely disappeared??!
Atlas.

Hiro's XC
11-04-2003, 08:43 AM
It shouldn't damage it as it is a non spark producing motor (sealed) so you won't have the flt800 incident.

It won't over heat because it is not required to be cooled from the fuel. At least for the short term. The pressures it produces don't generate that much heat.

With high quality fuel you should have no reason to replace the filters either.

As far as starting, I would bring the key to the II position right before starting and this will activate the fuel pumps and fill the system. You might have to crank it a bit but not as long as if you just turned it over.

SpudRacer
11-04-2003, 06:37 PM
There was another aircraft that went down in flames BEFORE Flight 800 that was also found to be due to a missing spark-arrestor on a center fuel tank.  Fortunately, it ignited during touch-n-go's and was only about 50 yards off the runway when the tank (empty and full of fumes) exploded which blew the plane (think BIG plane) in half with the cockpit hitting nose-first onto the runway.  All survived, but some will never walk again.  The runway was shut down for 3 weeks.  It was a Boeing fuel pump on a Boeing plane.  And that is all I will say about that.

Tom

Chipshot
11-05-2003, 08:01 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpudRacer @ Nov. 04 2003,20:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There was another aircraft that went down in flames BEFORE Flight 800 that was also found to be due to a missing spark-arrestor on a center fuel tank. Fortunately, it ignited during touch-n-go&#39;s and was only about 50 yards off the runway when the tank (empty and full of fumes) exploded which blew the plane (think BIG plane) in half with the cockpit hitting nose-first onto the runway. All survived, but some will never walk again. The runway was shut down for 3 weeks. It was a Boeing fuel pump on a Boeing plane. And that is all I will say about that.

Tom[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I guess it wasn&#39;t a 747 (unless that incident was skipped by this site (http://www.crashdatabase.com/cgi-bin/webdata_crashdatabase.cgi?cgifunction=Search&Aircraft=Boeing+747)). &nbsp;Yes, I also checked 707, 767, and 777 -- the other Boeings I would consider to be &quot;big.&quot; &nbsp;I suppose it might be military. &nbsp;I don&#39;t have time to check them all.

baz957
11-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Remember having a posting on this thread, strangely disappeared??&#33;
Atlas.

SpudRacer
11-07-2003, 11:49 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess it wasn&#39;t a 747 (unless that incident was skipped by this site). &nbsp;Yes, I also checked 707, 767, and 777 -- the other Boeings I would consider to be &quot;big.&quot; &nbsp;I suppose it might be military. &nbsp;I don&#39;t have time to check them all.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No, it was NOT a civilian airliner.

Tom

baz957
11-09-2003, 04:34 AM
Atlas.

baz957
11-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Atlas.

coastal
11-12-2003, 12:30 PM
fine, seems like you really want to find out the answer or at least for me to tell everyone else what happened... YES, I DELETED YOUR POST. I&#39;m sure you remember the tone of you post, it was a rude comment intended to flame another member of this forum, something that&#39;s prohibited in the terms of service when signing up for the forums, and something I&#39;ve also posted as a reminder in previous threads.

I don&#39;t do this often, this is only the third time in the board&#39;s history, but I deleted your post when it came back up to the top of the thread list.

baz957
11-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Took you some time, Coastal &#33;
I did send you a private Email inquiring about this, you never responded.
I’m not about to apologize for my personal opinions, but wonder about the freedom of expressing them.
Do not remember using offensive language or direct insults towards anyone&#33;?
Quite from the service agreement:
You are solely responsible for the contents of your transmissions through VolvoXC.com. We do not exercise editorial control over your transmissions, but we may cancel your account if you violate these Terms of Service. We ask that you use appropriate language when filling in the name, address and message spaces in our message boards/forums. In addition, you agree that you will not transmit through VolvoXC.com any unlawful, harassing, libelous, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene or otherwise objectionable material of any kind or nature.
Take Care&#33;
Atlas.

coastal
11-13-2003, 01:22 AM
fair enough Atlas, I didn't receive an email from you but I'll take your word that you indeed sent one. I've suspected some incoming mail problems over the past little while and this is another instance.

And in terms of the TOS, I considered this to be objectionable material so instead of cancelling your account I simply deleted the post.

I'm lockin this thread now but feel free to email me at if you'd like to pursue this further. And request a read reciept this time just so we both know I've read the message. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Cheers,

Taylor.