PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod question...

dperry4930
08-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I bought inner and outer tie rods from ipdusa about 9 months ago. I just replaced a lot of the rest of the suspenion (front springs, ball joints control arms, sway bar end links) and now I can't get the toe correct. The tie rods seem too long, I.e. I have the front of the tires pointing in.

To get around this I took off the locking nut between the tie rods and now firestone wont do the alignment. I can see their point I guess, but what else can I do? Did the parts I repaced somehow make it that I need different tie rods? I Will honestly admit that I am about to give up on this car. It has been 207k miles, so it is definitely a weathered car, but I assumed with new parts I could at least get the alignment right.

JRL
08-10-2014, 12:51 PM
I guess you bought the wrong tie rod(s)

billr99
08-10-2014, 02:49 PM
There are two available steering racks, SMI and ZF. VIDA shows difference part numbers for both inner and outer tie rods for the respective racks. You will note that none of the aftermarket sources note this difference. I know on my '02 I bought Lemforder inners and Moog outers and I have just enough thread to adjust toe. If I needed any more toe-out the combination wouldn't work. So other than paying stupid money for dealer-supplied parts, my only suggestion would be to ask around and see if anyone has paid attention to what they have on their cars and what combination works. Even then you may still run into manufacturing differences that might screw that approach up.

This is clearly a case where a stupid design difference on a relatively minor part is not address by aftermarket suppliers who are interested in covering as many aftermarket sale as possible but without having to have an expanded inventory. Anyway, it would be interesting to see what combinations of rack and inner and outer rods work. So to start that I have an SMI rack with Lemforder inners and Moog outers; and that combination just works, barely.

Cheers,

Bill

Hillbilly
08-10-2014, 03:11 PM
If they're not too far off an appropriate sized die could cut threads further down for you.

JRL
08-10-2014, 03:23 PM
You know outer tie rods are fairly cheap at Volvo and using the VIN you know you will always get the correct part!
There are those times and there are those certain parts that you're better off buying a Volvo part.

Timing belt kits too. There must be 3 or 4 different tensioners used between 2003 and 2005 all VIN specific

Antherzoll
08-10-2014, 04:19 PM
I just had the same tie rod nightmare with the Meyle HD outer tie rods, I had purchased a set through IPD and had issues with getting the alignment to the proper toe. I initially called IPD and at first they suggested it was my inners, so I purchased and replaced the new ones I had just installed with another brand, after an alignment had the same issue. Call IPD again and told them the the Meyle HD tie rods were longer by a few mm compared to the ones I had removes. They quickly addressed the issue and reimbursed me not only the cost of the parts, but the labour on installation and alignment. After all of this I had just put my old tie rod back on and called it a day. They wern't in bad shape, I was only replacing them as I was changing out a whole bunch of other parts. IPD has since removed the meyle HD tierod and are now carrying TRWs.

I was chatting with mechanic the other day, and he told me he just had a similar issue to mine with lemforder rods compared to OE rods. So I'd say stick with OE.

dperry
08-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Well, I put the locking nuts back on and took it back to Firestone to do the align (again). I figured if they could just get me in the ballpark I would have to live with it. It is frustrating that IPD would sell tie rods that they say fit the car that do not, and if it is VIN specific they should say something I would think.

Anyways, lo and behold it is in spec! Finally after replacing the front springs, control arms, ball joints, and sway bar end links I have got this thing to be back in alignment. Now off to go get tires. I was looking at the Yokohama Avid Ascend for their purported durability. Thoughts anyone?

bap 122S
08-23-2014, 05:57 PM
I have the Yokohama Avid Envigor on my 2005 XC70, and I like those, they are a little more performance oriented. I have the Avid Ascend on my wife's 2008 XC90, less performance and more touring type tire, which is how she drives. Those are also nice and quiet. It depends on what you are after.

StuntmanMike
08-24-2014, 02:49 PM
I was looking at replacing inner and outer tie rods, and saw a few comments on FCP's site that some of the replacements were too long. I was a bit baffled as to what to order, but now I'll look at Moog and TRW.

As far as tires, I just had a set of General Altimax RT43's installed a few weeks ago. I like them a lot. They're quiet, snmooth, and appear to be good in the rain. Also, the tread looks as if it will be very good in the snow. I did a bit of research before purchasing, and these were very highly rated by tire rack in a comparison test. I also seem to have picked up about 1mpg over the Contis I replaced.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=16TR7AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I paid $120/ea locally.

2002V70XC
12-04-2014, 10:30 PM
I just had the same tie rod nightmare with the Meyle HD outer tie rods, I had purchased a set through IPD and had issues with getting the alignment to the proper toe. I initially called IPD and at first they suggested it was my inners, so I purchased and replaced the new ones I had just installed with another brand, after an alignment had the same issue. Call IPD again and told them the the Meyle HD tie rods were longer by a few mm compared to the ones I had removes. They quickly addressed the issue and reimbursed me not only the cost of the parts, but the labour on installation and alignment. After all of this I had just put my old tie rod back on and called it a day. They wern't in bad shape, I was only replacing them as I was changing out a whole bunch of other parts. IPD has since removed the meyle HD tierod and are now carrying TRWs.

I was chatting with mechanic the other day, and he told me he just had a similar issue to mine with lemforder rods compared to OE rods. So I'd say stick with OE.

ohhh man! I should have done some research and read this thread! I got into the same problem with IPD Meyle HD Tie Rod Ends. I just did the 4 wheel alignment today and the shop couldn't align my steering wheel straight. Lucky I still had the old tie rod end to compare with the new one! The guy from the shop compared them and told me the Meyle HD one is 10mm longer than the old one so there wasn't enough adjustment to be made to straighten the steering wheel! I'll have to contact IPD and hopefully get the replacement parts and get the alignment done again! I just checked IPD website and found that they are still selling the Meyle HD tie rod ends!
FYI, I also had the inner Meyle tie rod but I compared the length and it was the same as the original one!

vtl
12-05-2014, 06:53 AM
I put Meyle 274175 outer tie rod sourced from FCP into 2002 V70. Fits perfectly, no alignment issue.

2002V70XC
12-07-2014, 06:41 AM
I put Meyle 274175 outer tie rod sourced from FCP into 2002 V70. Fits perfectly, no alignment issue.

Hi Vtl,
I bought the Meyle HD ones from IPD so i'm not sure if there is any difference between the HD and normal Meyle versions.
here is what I got: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7410/113392-right-tie-rod-end-2001-2003-xc70-with-smi-steering-rack
Anyway, i'm on the process of providing pictures/videos to show the difference. I might as well share them here for future references.
link to my recorded videos: http://1drv.ms/1yXYlf2

billr99
12-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Hi Vtl,
I bought the Meyle HD ones from IPD so i'm not sure if there is any difference between the HD and normal Meyle versions.
here is what I got: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7410/113392-right-tie-rod-end-2001-2003-xc70-with-smi-steering-rack
Anyway, i'm on the process of providing pictures/videos to show the difference. I might as well share them here for future references.
link to my recorded videos: http://1drv.ms/1yXYlf2

As part of what you plan on doing, please note the rack manufacturer (ZF or SMI) as that may be part of the issue as well.

Thanks,

Bill

vtl
12-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Hi Vtl,
Yeah, regular Meyle looks a bit different:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qRhDh8XEeiY/Uws8IBsA3YI/AAAAAAAAKFc/REMJ0ggfdfw/w606-h811-no/IMG_20140212_212219.jpg

As far as I remember, its size matched OEM size perfectly.

Again, this was tie rod end for FWD V70, which often has less beefy hardware in suspension/steering.

Update: actually, besides anodized lock nut I don't see much of difference between HD and non-HD: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-tie-rod-end-left-outer-v70-s60-s80-274175-1

2002V70XC
12-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks for going extra miles on this vtl! From your picture, I think the one on the left (black color) is actually abit shorter. I should have used a meter to measure the length of them both.
Its interesting that once I put 2002 V70 XC as my car model, FCP site filtered out the components that can fit my car and i'm surprised that they didn't list any Meyle Tie Rod Ends but only OEM ones: https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/V70/Tie-Rods?year=2002&e=153&m=218&page=1
On the videos link I provided, I had a picture of them facing each other and I could clearly see the difference in length.

2002V70XC
12-07-2014, 05:11 PM
As part of what you plan on doing, please note the rack manufacturer (ZF or SMI) as that may be part of the issue as well.

Thanks,

Bill

I'm pretty sure mine (2002 V70XC) has the SMI rack but I'll check again to make sure! Thanks

vtl
12-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks for going extra miles on this vtl! From your picture, I think the one on the left (black color) is actually abit shorter.
No, I measured them back in time, length was 1-to-1. I also had Karlin tie rods bought discounted long time ago, but they were shorter or there was other reason why I didn't like them then.

Its interesting that once I put 2002 V70 XC as my car model, FCP site filtered out the components that can fit my car and i'm surprised that they didn't list any Meyle Tie Rod Ends but only OEM ones: https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/V70/Tie-Rods?year=2002&e=153&m=218&page=1
Maybe because XC70 supposed to have beefier parts?

2002V70XC
12-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Maybe because XC70 supposed to have beefier parts?
I think thats the case! I just tried to use a 2002 V70 Base/2.4T and they both listed Meyle Tie Rod Ends whereas X/C and AWD don't. I've trusted FCP site since they started having the policy of fitting guarantee.

vtl
12-07-2014, 06:17 PM
I've trusted FCP site since they started having the policy of fitting guarantee.
I'm not 100% sure, but that part (guaranteed to fit) dropped a bit since they introduced new web site. I'm ordering parts at evenings, when the kid jumps on my head, so it may be difficult to remain fully concentrated and tap the "add to cart" button on the correct tab. Last time I've picked up rear coils for AWD self-leveling V70, while the car selected was BASE V70. Don't remember such hiccups with their old site... I ordered another ones (almost as blindly as with the last springs), and got S60 coils, which are weaker than stock V70. The ride quality has improved though, and the job is PITA, so decided to keep them.

The other day they made me smiling by sending "You are the TOP500 customer" email. I have only 2 Volvos in garage, and such email sort of undermines bulletproof reputation of the Swedes ;)

2002V70XC
12-07-2014, 09:25 PM
The other day they made me smiling by sending "You are the TOP500 customer" email. I have only 2 Volvos in garage, and such email sort of undermines bulletproof reputation of the Swedes ;)
You must have much more experience with FCP than me! I can see why you became their top 500 customer for trying to do good maintenance on "bulletproof" Swedes cars. I'm always jealous of US citizens for being able to get cheap car parts. I've spent a fortune on getting my Swedes car back to life.
I've mostly purchased my stuff from IPD just because they are cheaper. I used to hate FCP site but the latest version of their site is pretty good IMO.

2002V70XC
02-04-2015, 11:23 PM
FYI,
Ron@ipd checked with Volvo US and he said the Meyle HD tie rod ends were actually longer than the OEM so he sent me the refurbished OEM replacement set (TRW brand). I did the measurement and the difference is at least 4mm. I was lucky enough to claimed back the cost for the 2nd wheel alignment but through his supervisor instead because hes no longer working at IPD. I've got my message to the IPD parts department so hopefully they would put some kind of warning message for these listings of Meyle HD tie rod ends.
I'm still wondering if Meyle HD would fit those XC70s from the US but not other countries. This is still a curious question in my mind!
My recommendation is to avoid Meyle HD tie rod ends at this point in time unless you are 100% sure that they would fit your car.