PDA

View Full Version : Which Brake Fluid? ATE SL.6, Pentosin SuperDot4, ATE 200, Some use Low Viscosity-HELP

WhiteXC70
07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Well, I have been looking around everywhere for the proper Brake Fluid to use on my 2007 Volvo XC70. I think I have read several websites that all give different opinions on what the situation is for a good replacement to buy. I know we need a DOT4 or DOT4+...

IPD now says that the ATE SL.6 is the best to use (over the ATE200) because it is a "Low Viscosity" fluid for our ABS/Traction Control cars ???

Some sites have the ATE 200 because of the higher boiling points. (Not sure if this is Low Viscosity)

Pentosin Super Dot 4 is another listed... [thumbup]

So, Should I just go with the ATE SL.6 and be done with this or does anyone have a better idea. I am only using my XC70 for daily driving and not anything else.

Thanks [thumbup]

Antherzoll
07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Pentosin LV over here.

WhiteXC70
07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
I think most of you guys are using the ATE 200 or the old "Blue" version. Has anyone done a more recent flush? What did you buy and like ??? Has it worked out well for you ??? Let me know... Thanks

Antherzoll
07-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Pentosin LV has worked very well for me ;)

I think the way most people use 200 and super blue is to alternate between the two fluids at each change to identify that all the old fluid has been bled out as they are the same exact fluid, just a different colour. When it bleeds blue (or bleeds gold) you know the line has been flushed. I used Pentosin LV on my last bleed as that's what i had around, I'll most likely be switching to something else. It's boiling point is a bit less then what is specified in the manual (536°F, Pentosin LV is 509°F), but it's doesn't have me worried as the lower viscosity (same as ATE SL.6) has serve me well.

Astro14
07-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Super blue can no longer be sold in the US. DOT rules require specific brake fluid colors! sadly....

Antherzoll
07-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Super blue can no longer be sold in the US. DOT rules require specific brake fluid colors! sadly....

Could order it from Canada ;)