PDA

View Full Version : Broken Gear Shift Lever and Replacement Radio/Console Knobs

engywookiethewagon
07-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Hello all! I'm new to the Forums! First post!
I own a 2002 V70XC Currently at 178K, My dad and I have done a lot of work to it mechanically. This site has played a HUGE part in my repairs(won't buy/replace parts until I've read through any threads that reference the part)

Has anyone had to replace the lever/button on their gear shift? Mine snapped a couple days ago, any recommendations on where to find a new one?

Also

Does anyone else have problems with their Radio/Volume/AC/ knobs being Gummy/peeling? they drive me crazy[cussing], I'm wondering if I buy the same factory ones they will have the same problems once exposed to heat/etc. Are there alternative replacements that last longer?

Thank you,
Hannah M.
:o

JRL
07-21-2014, 02:12 PM
How did you manage to do that?!
Try erie
www.erievovo.com

CALL THEM you will get a better response

1 888 volvo 13

Tahoe_XC
07-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Volvo only sells the whole shift handle complete with button. IPD sells the button only... I replaced the whole handle when the shift lock cable went out. Not hard. As JRL indicates you probably could save 50+% by buying a used one.

JRL
07-22-2014, 03:57 AM
If you want a P2 shift button there are two styles, I have at least one on them (new) and the knobs, just buy them from Volvo.
I just replaced a set of worn knobs from Volvo, fairly cheap

engywookiethewagon
07-22-2014, 06:24 AM
If you want a P2 shift button there are two styles, I have at least one on them (new) and the knobs, just buy them from Volvo.
I just replaced a set of worn knobs from Volvo, fairly cheap

I wasn't driving it when it happened(that'll teach me to let someone else drive my wagon;) )
I need the button that is for the Geartronic style. Last XC70 we pulled parts from had decent interior, I don't remember if it had the same style button, I may check that out.

Swagger XC
07-23-2014, 07:35 PM
for the radio after replacing the knobs you can get aluminum rings to put on them to cut down on the wear.

BTW, You follow me on instagram @shoey2498. Its cool to see how much work you put into your wagon. Best of luck with all your projects!

engywookiethewagon
07-24-2014, 05:37 AM
for the radio after replacing the knobs you can get aluminum rings to put on them to cut down on the wear.

BTW, You follow me on instagram @shoey2498. Its cool to see how much work you put into your wagon. Best of luck with all your projects!

Haha!:D Hey William!

Thank you, my dad is the Mr. Fixit, I'm fortunate he likes to work on it so I can learn from experience. Love seeing the work you do to your car, its a very clean/cosmetically appealing wagon. [thumbup]

Don't you have the aluminum rings on your car? Do you remember were you got them?

engywookiethewagon
08-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Update:
Managed to find this How-to that worked very successfully for me.

http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/geartronic-shifter-repair.pdf

I can't tell who created it, as I was brought straight to the pdf from a google search.

Regardless,
THANK YOU to the person who put this together!