PDA

View Full Version : How do Volvo brake lines hold up over time?

madbill683
07-13-2014, 11:49 AM
I was just reading this post about GM issues concerning trucks and SUVs having rusted out brake lines. Is this an environmental (snow & ice) problem, normal, or the materials used? Do Volvos succumb to the same problems over time? I'm lucky, I have not lived in the snow belt for 20 years. I know we have to replace brake fluid every two years, but that's because it attracts moisture.

Link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101816931

Bill

volvospeed70
07-13-2014, 01:23 PM
I was just reading this post about GM issues concerning trucks and SUVs having rusted out brake lines. Is this an environmental (snow & ice) problem, normal, or the materials used? Do Volvos succumb to the same problems over time? I'm lucky, I have not lived in the snow belt for 20 years. I know we have to replace brake fluid every two years, but that's because it attracts moisture.

Link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101816931

Bill

Most European cars don't suffer the same rust issues as american vehicles due to the use of different metals and more use of aluminium along with not use the heavy amount of road salt we do.

That being sad i have never seen rusted brakes lines on a volvo come into the shop. When we get trade ins from other company we see alot more issues with rust under the car. S-10 trucks and blazers are pretty bad in the rust belt along wih jeeps. The brake lines are uncoated metal and will have light rust on them within a few years.

JRL
07-13-2014, 01:30 PM
The rubber front lines tend to start to crack at around 100K miles if you live and drive in a harsh (salt) climate.
The rest of the system is almost bulletproof

coflynn
07-13-2014, 04:17 PM
I live somewhere with a lot of road salt (+ salty air in general), and the brake lines look great still, no corrosion I've seen. The fittings themselves tend to rust together badly though (I tried replacing the rubber flex lines and it was a major hassle...).

If you live in a high salt environment check the power steering lines though, mine rusted through on the rack! See billr99's excellent post for details: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?24515-Power-Steering-Leak-in-High-Corrosion-Environments

madbill683
07-13-2014, 05:31 PM
I live somewhere with a lot of road salt (+ salty air in general), and the brake lines look great still, no corrosion I've seen. The fittings themselves tend to rust together badly though (I tried replacing the rubber flex lines and it was a major hassle...).

If you live in a high salt environment check the power steering lines though, mine rusted through on the rack! See billr99's excellent post for details: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?24515-Power-Steering-Leak-in-High-Corrosion-Environments

I guess I'm fortunate we don't get the snow down here in SE Virginia. Underneath my '98 S70 looks pretty good. JRL's claim that the lines are bulletproof is good to hear. I'll have to pay attention to the rubber lines. My XC70 was a NY state car for 4 years, and the exhaust system sure shows it.

I_am_perfect
07-14-2014, 10:20 AM
I changed mine out a few months back when I did my brake job. They seemed just fine when I took them off. I went with some steel braided lines since they were only $22 each. The rear lines were a pain since there isn't much room to work with.
I have a 2001 with 105k miles on it by the way.

volvospeed70
07-14-2014, 01:07 PM
I guess I'm fortunate we don't get the snow down here in SE Virginia. Underneath my '98 S70 looks pretty good. JRL's claim that the lines are bulletproof is good to hear. I'll have to pay attention to the rubber lines. My XC70 was a NY state car for 4 years, and the exhaust system sure shows it.

My 05 has been a Nebraska car it's whole life and we use a ton of salt hear sadly and the Volvo doesn't show a single sign of rust minus the exhaust has some surface looking rust but for it going on 10 years old it's still factory and no leaks.

As for my other cars i've had to get my Kia Optima front sub frame replaced due to a recall where rust was causing them to break, My Jeep Wrangler had holes in it's frame and the nissan maxima had rust in the corners of both fenders and they were all around the same year as my volvo. So i would say they have some excellent rust protection from the factory.

Astro14
07-14-2014, 02:28 PM
I changed mine out a few months back when I did my brake job. They seemed just fine when I took them off. I went with some steel braided lines since they were only $22 each. The rear lines were a pain since there isn't much room to work with.
I have a 2001 with 105k miles on it by the way.

I think the question was about lines...and your answer is about hoses....

It's the lines that are hard to replace when they rust out. Frequently, they let go with zero warning on vehicles prone to rusting lines...no fun, been there, done that....