PDA

View Full Version : I need A/C advice and help please for 04 XC 70

Briansrv
07-12-2014, 05:10 PM
For the last few months I have been pulling the fuse because my fan won't shut off when I turn off the car. I know it's the magnetic resistor from what I read that needs to be replaced but can't really afford it at the moment. Anyway last night, I noticed the ac was a little louder behind the dash than usual when I got home and I pulled the fuse as usual. Anyway, today I have nothing when I put the fuse back in. It is hot and in the rainy season in south Florida. I am very untrusting of mechanics and would like some solid knowledge to be armed with before taking it somewhere for repair. If anyone knows anyone down here, let me know. Thank you for any help

EmperorWatcher
07-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Magnetic resistor? I hadn't heard about that part! My 04 XC 70 has the same issue. Where is it located?

Forkster
07-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Brian - You do know the AC fan will run for as long as it's required to clean out the cooling system before shutting off? One hot humid day, my fan ran for almost an hour before it shut off after I had parked the car in my garage.

hoonk
07-15-2014, 08:38 AM
The electronic resistor or power unit can go bad and keep the fan on all the time or prevent the fan from running. #5 on the diagram. It is mounted under the fan motor.

EmperorWatcher
07-16-2014, 01:27 AM
Brian - You do know the AC fan will run for as long as it's required to clean out the cooling system before shutting off? One hot humid day, my fan ran for almost an hour before it shut off after I had parked the car in my garage.

I've been having the same issue. I've found that I can reinsert the fuse after the engine has been off all night, and the fan will turn on. That leads me to believe that it is the resistor that has failed, rather than it being a system action to run the fan until it has cleared.

Does that sound like a reasonable conclusion or could it still be a function issue rather than a failed part?

JRL
07-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Bad coolant temp sensor can do this

EmperorWatcher
07-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Bad coolant temp sensor can do this

It seems like some folks are thinking that this issue is with the engine fan.

It is about the climate control fan. No relationship to the engine coolant fan.