PDA

View Full Version : rough/cold starts

dressedingreen
07-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Hello all
im looking for some input, my 2001 XC is starting very rough every morning, I live in NC and its about 80 degrees out so I don't think its due to weather[cool2]
ive just changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, PCV oil breather, & cleaned the throttle plate.
what could the problem be? it feels as if its starting 'dry' a lot of shaking, dry oil-less grumbling/grinding.
and when it does catch its stumbling and takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to idle correct.
usually one decent cloud of smoke will poof out once it does start.
help!
thanks.
also from time to time, the car will start but have no throttle response, I just switch it off and then turn it on again and it will have throttle response after that, whats the fix to this?

volvospeed70
07-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Hello all
im looking for some input, my 2001 XC is starting very rough every morning, I live in NC and its about 80 degrees out so I don't think its due to weather[cool2]
ive just changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, PCV oil breather, & cleaned the throttle plate.
what could the problem be? it feels as if its starting 'dry' a lot of shaking, dry oil-less grumbling/grinding.
and when it does catch its stumbling and takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to idle correct.
usually one decent cloud of smoke will poof out once it does start.
help!
thanks.
also from time to time, the car will start but have no throttle response, I just switch it off and then turn it on again and it will have throttle response after that, whats the fix to this?

Well the rough starting in the morning could be caused by a fuel pressure regulator / damper going bad causing the fuel pressure not hold over night , so when you first start it in the morning it has to rebuilt fuel pressure and stumbles on start. I just got done replacing my fuel pump (since the regulator is part of the pump assembly) because of this issue and now it starts instantly in the morning.

To test to see if it's a pressure issue you can hook up a manual fuel pressure gauge and start the car and take a PSI reading and than shut the car off and monitor every 30 mins or so to see if pressure is holding.

Now for the second part of the issue your talking about it seems like your ETM is on its way out. Your model year volvo in notorious for having the ETM go out and causing it you to have delayed or no throttle response.

Since you can rent a fuel pressure gauge it doesn't hurt to check the fuel pressure but sounds like it might just be your ETM causing your problems.

Also does your car have a check engine light one? Normally a code will set for the ETM but no always.

howardc64
07-13-2014, 10:43 AM
I agree with volvospeed70, could be the ETM since this is 01 and doesn't always throw a code in early failure. I've had no throttle response due to ETM failure in the past but not due to cold starts. ECU detect some problem and is reducing engine's performance to minimize damage.

Volvo's diag tool has an ETM test that can give a pretty good sense on its health. Here is a link with good vs bad ETM results

https://app.box.com/shared/cjh7pkl0cs