PDA

View Full Version : 2006 xc70 transmission acts up when hot

kutcht1
07-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Just bought a 131,000 miles volvo as my first. Drove great during test drive. Owner said the ATX fluid was changed and it does look clean with no smell at correct level (at the hot top mark) after the drive. On my way home today in 85 degree stop and go traffic after about an hour it started to slip and slam into gear but at time shift as normal. Is there something I should do before just finding a used ATX and have it put in or is that my only option. I did about three hours of searching and almost everything is leading to others with the 2001-2002 transmission problems. In my pre-purchase research I kept reading that the 2006 was probably the best year for this vehicle so when I found one I jumped. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
TomK

JRL
07-11-2014, 07:43 PM
You need a new valvebody, cheaper than a new tranny.
Early 06s had some issues

kutcht1
07-12-2014, 03:36 AM
Thanks, I will look into this and search out where to get one and how to install.
TomK

volvospeed70
07-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks, I will look into this and search out where to get one and how to install.
TomK

Level 10 performance is who we get our valve bodys from around here. They have a great reputation and make improvements to the valvebody to make sure you don't have anymore earratic or slamming shifts also they sell a very beefed up version of our transmission that will handle 600+ hp.

http://www.levelten.com/volvo_transmissions_and_performance_parts_s/49.htm

kutcht1
07-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Ok did some around town driving and it was acting as it should, both times I checked the ATX oil level when hot and it was at the top of the hot lines. Let it cool both times and the level goes above the hot lines but about 1/4 inches or more. Does this mean that it has been overfilled or is this normal?
TomK