PDA

View Full Version : New Throttle body same issue

Luna1973
07-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Help please -

I drive a 2001 XC70, 125000 miles. In the last week it had the VVT pulley and cam shaft seals replaced, all at a local independent Volvo garage.

After this the engine started to hunt and cut out on low revs eg pulling up to traffic lights, going around roundabouts etc. They intimated that they thought it was the throttle body.

Today, changed a franchised dealer, drove home fine, but cut out tonight five times.

I am at a loss what else it could be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, after a huge cost in the last week!!

hoonk
07-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Last week it had the VVT pulley and cam shaft seals replaced, after this the engine started to hunt and cut out on low revs

The first place to look is the last thing that was worked on - perhaps that work was not done correctly.

Astro14
07-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Since the ETM wasn't touched during this, I would suspect the cam timing first...off a tooth on the belt? Cam pulley installed off by a bit?

Luna1973
07-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks for your reply, I will go the dealer in the morning to try and get to the bottom of it....will let you know

volvo newb
07-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Check the connections to the rigid turbo pipe (front end by dipstick) and especially at the back of the engine where the rigid pipe meets the turbo. If you have a rupture in the coupler (I did) or a loose connection it can cause the cut out you describe. After ETM, PCV and turbo inlet coupler replacement, I had a relapse of the same symptoms until I adequately tightened the connections which had backed off.
Good luck

howardc64
07-13-2014, 10:49 AM
As noted in your other post... check out the MAF for cutout problems.

Luna1973
07-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the replies, took it to the Volvo garage on Saturday am, they put the car on their diagnostics and retuned saying that it was reading a timing fault. I forgot to ask for the fault code.

Contacted the Indy Volvo garage and car is booked in for Tuesday although they state that it is not a timing issue!,

Time will tell thanks again

Luna1973
07-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Car was taken to the Indy garage who state that the timing is okay, maf checked,okay, but on fault reader is reporting mis fire on cylinders 1 and 3. Could this cause the issues I have been experiencing?

volvospeed70
07-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Car was taken to the Indy garage who state that the timing is okay, maf checked,okay, but on fault reader is reporting mis fire on cylinders 1 and 3. Could this cause the issues I have been experiencing?

A misfire on two cylinders would defiantly give you the symptoms your experiencing.

Whats the conditions of your spark plugs? If the plugs look good than you can clear the check engine light codes and swap the number 1 coil with the number 2 coil and swap the number 3 coil with the number 4 coil. If the ignition coils are the cause than the problem should follow to the new cylinder and will tell you if you need to replace them.

Luna1973
07-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your reply. The Indy garage has now sent their data to Volvo for them to have a look at. Will update when I know what has happened

Luna1973
07-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Well, touch wood that is the car repaired. The franchised Volvo dealer spent 4 hours sorting the timing and cvvt out, and so far, it is driving like new.

This does not mean much to me, but on initial examination, the cv to angle was 20 degrees, the maximum limit. This has been reset to around -1 for all four. Also the belt was 2 teeth out. Moral of the story is it sometimes worth spending more to get the job completed correctly. the reply from the Indy garage "they would say that though" ��������