PDA

View Full Version : Passenger airbag code reset question

Chris McD
07-10-2014, 02:31 PM
I recently removed the passenger seat and disconnected the wiring harness (drying out carpet/foam after the car was partially flooded due to sunroof drain issue). Now I'm getting a urgent service alert telling me the passenger airbag is off. I know I should have disconnected the battery before attempting this, but I'm wondering if the airbag is really off or if is this just a code that comes up whenever the system senses that something amiss even if things are restored to working order (i.e correctly plugged back in).

Trying to decide if it's worth visiting the dealer just for a code reset (obviously yes if the airbag really disabled).

Thanks.

volvospeed70
07-10-2014, 05:46 PM
I recently removed the passenger seat and disconnected the wiring harness (drying out carpet/foam after the car was partially flooded due to sunroof drain issue). Now I'm getting a urgent service alert telling me the passenger airbag is off. I know I should have disconnected the battery before attempting this, but I'm wondering if the airbag is really off or if is this just a code that comes up whenever the system senses that something amiss even if things are restored to working order (i.e correctly plugged back in).

Trying to decide if it's worth visiting the dealer just for a code reset (obviously yes if the airbag really disabled).

Thanks.

Since the battery was not disconnected before removal of the air bag plug the code will set in the computer. I had that issue when i replaced my radio with a aftermarket one i didn't read before hand that disconnecting the a/c control head unit will set the light which can only be reset by the volvo dealership or someone with a vida.

The display info is correct though the passenger airbag is disabled until the code is reset with the VIDA since the car has detected a error and doesn't know if the airbag is safe to use now since it thinks there could be a short that caused the loss of connection.