PDA

View Full Version : 2002 xc70 oil loss, please help!!

NWVOLVO
07-09-2014, 10:48 AM
So, I bought the car about a month ago, with 128,000 miles on it. a couple weeks ago, I got the "regular service need" message, which I was going to do when the oil was due to be changed at 129,xxx miles. Coming to work this morning, I got a "no oil pressure" message. I pulled over at the nearest gas station and put a quart in, just to get me to work, a couple of miles away. I did not check the oil level, be cause I was parked on a steep grade, and would not get an accurate reading. I drove about another mile, and got the oil pressure message again. I parked, and there was oil coming out near the oil filter at a pretty good clip. I drove a couple more blocks to work and let it set for an hour or so before I checked it. there was a puddle of oil under the car, near the belts, and when I checked the oil level, just the tip of the dip stick was registering. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

howardc64
07-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Obviously should find the leak source soon. Given your description, I would say to take a look at

1. Maybe a cracked oil filter housing? They are plastic and I suppose could crack if torqued too tight.
2. Front crank seal leaking which is most likely due to PCV clog.

Since you are in NW, I'm near Redmond if you are near me and need any help to find a leak.

Luna1973
07-13-2014, 03:26 PM
I had a similar oil issue after a short drive to work, and had lost almost the entire contents of the engine. The leak was traced to the vvt cam seal, which meant I had to get the timing belt and vvt pulley all changed. Not an inexpensive repair at around 750 dollars!