PDA

View Full Version : Noise after removing prop shaft

Elkbanner
07-07-2014, 04:32 PM
I recently had the prop shaft removed on my 2004 XC 70 with 265,000 miles. The repair shop could not remove the shaft from the rear (northern car - rust underneath) and decided to cut it off at the very back. I got under the car and looked where the they cut it which appears to be right where the shaft end and the hub starts. The car now has a very smooth ride and a noticeable bump in gas mileage, however, the road noise is now much louder inside the car. It sounds like I have 4 snow tires on the vehicle. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

vtl
07-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Did they remove angle gear?

JRL
07-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Now you know damn well that the AG cannot be removed

Elkbanner
07-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Prop shaft was removed by import repair shop that said they had also removed a few others in town.

Forkster
07-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Prop shaft was removed by import repair shop that said they had also removed a few others in town.Ummm... perhaps you could of asked here if that was a good idea. Maybe the angle gear just needed replacement or the collar at the back had become worn? Either way, you're probably hearing the angle gear. Not good.

Xheart
07-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Start of throwing good money after bad.

volvospeed70
07-15-2014, 09:52 AM
If your Angle Gear was in good shape than removing the Drive shaft could be done with no ill effects. Since the Angle Gear still spins since it gets it power off the transmission than you could have something internally wrong in the Angle Gear that's causing the noise. I would first raise the vehicle up and check the fluid level on the angle gear and see if it's low since that can cause the gears to whine. If it's not low than you may need to replace the angle gear if the noise is still coming from there.

Xheart
07-15-2014, 01:46 PM
The noise, in most cases, comes from a dried and worn bearing.
All bearings are suspect. Once vibration develops at a bearing it travels over the shaft, turing vibration in to a noise... detection of precise location often requires multiple test.

Elkbanner
07-15-2014, 07:39 PM
My prop shaft was definitely bad because now that it is removed there is no more vibration when climbing hills or
acceleration. The sound appears to be coming from the rear. I listened to the youtube video of the bad bevel gear and it does not sound anything like it. I was wondering if the fact that the prop shaft was cut off in the rear has anything to do with it.

volvospeed70
07-15-2014, 08:18 PM
My prop shaft was definitely bad because now that it is removed there is no more vibration when climbing hills or
acceleration. The sound appears to be coming from the rear. I listened to the youtube video of the bad bevel gear and it does not sound anything like it. I was wondering if the fact that the prop shaft was cut off in the rear has anything to do with it.

It's possible depending on how it was cut. The rear CV shafts still spin when not connected so possible it's out of balance. At our shop we have never had to cut a shaft off, we can always take it off with some penetrating oil and heat so not sure what happens if you just hack it off.

Forkster
07-16-2014, 07:00 AM
Ok - quick question - are you sure that noise that you are hearing isn't a wheel bearing?

Elkbanner
07-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of the country. Pretty sure it is not a wheel bearing. I had one go bad and know what it sounds like. The tires were also recently rotated and an alignment was performed by repair shop after front axle replaced.

Elkbanner
08-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Forkster, you were correct. The noise got progressively louder and it became apparent the rear driver side bearing was bad. I had it replaced and everything is nice and quiet. Thanks for all the input. I am not mechanically inclined and this forum has been very helpful.

Forkster
08-13-2014, 09:47 AM
[thumbup] - glad to hear it worked out.